PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Restocking the Patriots: first notions (offense)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much different situation. Dillon was at the end of his career. Bjge is still relatively young and by all accounts is a true patriot type. Sure, he doesn't break the big play often. But luckily our coach looks for things beyond fantasy football stats

Dillon at the end of his road could still break more 20yards than BJGE. But the situations are quite similar…LoMo was a high draft pick and was expected to take over. Vereen and Ridley make up the middle of our 2011 draft and should be able to step into service.

Which is why Ridley is a nice complement to BJGE. No one could discount BJGE's propensity for positive yards on carries and his ability to score in the red zone. those are valuable attributes that for whatever reason seem to be discounted by a number of posters on this board. Luckily, it hasn't been lost on the coaches.

No one is saying they both suck - I think people realize that our running game does not pose a threat as it stands…actually, it is kind of joke. If we spend a 2nd and 3rd pick on 2 backs in 2011 and BJGE is still our feature back in 2012…well, shame on us.
The problem is, BJGE is barely adequate running against a nickel defense with the threat of 2 TE and 2WR. I don't think he can grab a roster spot simply by being a short yardage guy. By definition, short yardage guys can run between the tackles against 7-8 man front. I am not sure BJGE (regardless of our O-line) can be successful enough to own a roster spot just on that.
For the record, I'd hate to see him go because he seems like an awesome guy with a ton of heart. But I just want to see guys rip off runs for first downs.

As has been noted in another thread, these moves today have apparently freed up another 3 million towards the cap.

Does anyone see these moves coinciding with the possible signing of one of our own in the next couple/few days? Or just a routine slash or two?

Is it out of the realm to think that they are hard at work in the Welker deal, as I would presume that they would much rather know where they stand with a lesser-cap hit prior to the March 13 start of FA? Or is this just wishful thinking?

In another thread someone said that it was due to failed exit physicals. I'm not sure if that's fact or opinion, but it does make sense.

Back to BJGE: while I agree that he is not as much of a threat to break a big run as most running backs, I believe he's also not as bad as many are portraying him to be either. In my opinion the effects of the turf toe injury plagued him all season long, and had a severe affect on his productivity. The only way that one can properly heal from that type of injury is to rest it for several weeks; that didn't happen as BJGE played every game and participated in practices every week all season.

If you compare to 2010 BGGE had four carries of 20+ yards in 229 attempts. That's one every 57 carries which still isn't anything special, but it paints an entirely different picture than the five 20+ carries in 510 attempts stat does.

In another thread someone said that it was due to failed exit physicals. I'm not sure if that's fact or opinion, but it does make sense.

Back to BJGE: while I agree that he is not as much of a threat to break a big run as most running backs, I believe he's also not as bad as many are portraying him to be either. In my opinion the effects of the turf toe injury plagued him all season long, and had a severe affect on his productivity. The only way that one can properly heal from that type of injury is to rest it for several weeks; that didn't happen as BJGE played every game and participated in practices every week all season.

If you compare to 2010 BGGE had four carries of 20+ yards in 229 attempts. That's one every 57 carries which still isn't anything special, but it paints an entirely different picture than the five 20+ carries in 510 attempts stat does.

hmm, that's interesting. I forgot about the toe injury. I'm still strongly rooting for Ridley and Vareen to be impact guys and get most of the carries next year but what you're saying makes sense. The problem is what would his role be and how much do you pay him for that role? I can't see him getting more than 10 carries/game. If that's the case I can't justify paying him more than 2 years/$3.5M.

I don't see BJGE as a guy who is going to attract too much free agent interest. He's not a special player, he's a rotation guy, and rotation guys can be found all over the draft.

I think BJGE has value to the team as a player similar to Antwain Smith. It's tough to say if his decline in production was due to health, or oline changes, or decline in his play. In either case, a RB who can take the ball 2-5 yards in 1st down without fumbling is valuable, even if its a part time player. He has value as a locker room guy as well.

I'm happy sticking with what we have at RB. Remember what McD did in 2008 with Morris, BJGE, Faulk and Jordan? I much prefer what BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley and Vareen bring to the table. A game-breaking RB simply costs too much given this team needs to invest dollars into the WR and CB positions.

If BJGE leaves, I'd like to see Mike Tolbert in his place, given his prowess in the pass game. Those fumbles, though.

The key to the offseason on offense is going to be oline, especially Light and Waters. Waters has given no indication of retiring, which is good because he is still a top-level RG. It would upset me to see Light go. He is still a borderline pro-bowl talent at a bargain basement price. We can survive without them, but the depth will be a big issue. I expect a high draft pick, maybe round 2, on the Oline either way, as both are near the end and Vollmer's health has to be a concern.

As for the pass game, I don't think a big-time game breaker is necessary. A reliable, route running sideline reciever would cure a lot of ills on this offense. The problem with the offense is that they are a middle of the field type of offense. They are slowed by defenses with big linebackers or elite safeties (Pitt, Bal, NYG). Here, spreading the field horizontally is just as likely to open things up for Welker, Gronk and Hernandez as spreading it Vertically. Ochocinco was supposed to do this. I think even Jabar Gaffney would have been enough. Lloyd seems the most obvious option, as he'll command less money, wants to play with McD (hometown discount?) and has the hands/route skills to function as a deep wide or as a sideline guy.

I'd also like to see a 3rd TE, someone decent both in blocking and recieving. I hate to see what the long term loss of Gronk or Hernandez would do to this offense. I like a Jacob Tamme, who can man the H-back if Hernandez goes down.

So, the restocking goes like this: Franchise Welker, re-up Connoly, Branch and BJGE (with Tolbert as a backup plan), talk Light into returning, bring in a early-round OL, sign Lloyd, sign Tamme, offense is set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes