PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reseeding playoffs and expanded pre-season rosters under consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL's master, TV RATINGS, rears its ugly head again. Of course the NFL wants more meaningful games the last couple of weeks. More people will tune in.

Ironic that the highest-rated game of the regular season was between teams that technically had NOTHING to play for.

Exactly! Change for the sake of change is ridiculous. I guess we didn't realize how good we had it when Paul Taglibue was the commisioner.

For the last two years Goodell has proposed stuff or handed out penalties not alot of people have liked. Do you think people are starting to regret him becoming comissioner?

Seeding is fine as it is. Division winners deserve a home playoff game.

I agree. Look back to 2002.

AFC East:

Jets 9-7
Pats 9-7
Fins 9-7
Bills 8-8

That was a division that beat the crap out of each other. As we all know the Jets won the division on the 153rd tiebreaker but thats a story for another day!

AFC South:

Titans 11-5
Colts 10-6
Jags 6-10
Texans 4-12

The Colts and Titans beat up on the Jags and Texans.

The Jets hosted the Colts on wild card weekend and beat the crap out of them.

Would it have been fair for the Colts to host the Jets? I don't think so.

Leave the rules as they are or get rid of the Divisions.

Last edited:
The current system gives fans of 8 (division winning) teams something to be proud of and at least another 8 (2nd place) teams something to keep them interested in. NFL parity gives 7-9 or even 6-10 teams hope for making the playoffs. Increased interest = increased ratings = increased profits and everybody is happy (fans, owners, sponsors and media). The current system keeps almost all fans interested (and the money flowing) for as long as possible; why would the NFL change that?

On a side note, I do recall the AFL just before the merger having the #1 East team play the #2 from the West, and visa-versa in the playoffs. As I recall, the Raiders and Chiefs both beat teams from the East and met for the AFL championship before that Super Bowl, so making a change like this would not be without precedent.

The NFL's master, TV RATINGS, rears its ugly head again. Of course the NFL wants more meaningful games the last couple of weeks. More people will tune in.

Ironic that the highest-rated game of the regular season was between teams that technically had NOTHING to play for.

The best way to higher ratings in the week 16 and 17 is to focus on playoff races rather than the best NFL teams. Don't schedule the Pats or Colts or Chargers; they will most likely already have their playoff spots locked up. Use that flex schedule to move teams that are fighting for 1st in their division or the last playoff spot, and move games from 1pm to 4pm or 4pm to 8pm to give the national audience the best matchups. Schedule MNF with a hopefully meaningful game that will at least hold interest because it is between two in division rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News