PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Specter ending pursuit of Spygate probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My name is Arlen and I am an Eagles fan - Hello Arlen.

I have done all I could do to tarnish the team that beat my team - Yes you did Arlen, do go on.

Once they realized I only did for my friends at Comcast, I had to stop - Poor poor Arlen, we forgive you.

Now, I turn to those poor fans in other cities and their brand new stadiums - But, Arlen, are you sure you want to go there?

Well maybe they wont realize I am only doing it because I know my Iggles cannot keep up with Cowboys & Giants anymore - Arlen, you need to stop now, that is what this recovery group is all about.

But, what about Comcast, I need to deliver Direct TV revenue to them - Arlen, stop, there may be people here that will tell all what you have just admitted too...

Oh, nevermind then, I have lost interest in this - there ya go Arlen, that's better - bare your soul now.

OK - I don't like basketball so I really don;t care if that ref. fixed games, wouldn't;t help the 76ers anyway - OK Arlen that;s enough go lie down now, you have had your last 15 minutes and they weren't exactly your most impressive.

Yes, thank you all for being there for me, I must lie down now, must stop talking, I think I am going to blow chunks now, just like my friend with the sore arm, Donovan - goodbye Arlen and good riddance.

My name is Arlen and I am an Eagles fan - Hello Arlen.

I have done all I could do to tarnish the team that beat my team - Yes you did Arlen, do go on.

Once they realized I only did for my friends at Comcast, I had to stop - Poor poor Arlen, we forgive you.

Now, I turn to those poor fans in other cities and their brand new stadiums - But, Arlen, are you sure you want to go there?

Well maybe they wont realize I am only doing it because I know my Iggles cannot keep up with Cowboys & Giants anymore - Arlen, you need to stop now, that is what this recovery group is all about.

But, what about Comcast, I need to deliver Direct TV revenue to them - Arlen, stop, there may be people here that will tell all what you have just admitted too...

Oh, nevermind then, I have lost interest in this - there ya go Arlen, that's better - bare your soul now.

OK - I don't like basketball so I really don;t care if that ref. fixed games, wouldn't;t help the 76ers anyway - OK Arlen that;s enough go lie down now, you have had your last 15 minutes and they weren't exactly your most impressive.

Yes, thank you all for being there for me, I must lie down now, must stop talking, I think I am going to blow chunks now, just like my friend with the sore arm, Donovan - goodbye Arlen and good riddance.

Of course this session was followed by severe mental medication.....

guess he realized he'd have to investigate all 32 teams' video scouting departments....which would probably end up bringing some perspective to things and vindicating the Pats. It's safe to assume that taxpayers aren't looking to spend money to fix our image.

sad day....I was looking forward to exposing Goodell's cover-up: "We don't believe [advanced video scouting] has been a widespread practice" -- ROTFLMAO.

Memor to big-league commissioners: GET THOSE SMIRKS OFF YOUR FACES

Last edited:
Well, that sure ended with a whimper, didn't it?

guess he realized he'd have to investigate all 32 teams' video scouting departments....which would probably end up bringing some perspective to things and vindicating the Pats. It's safe to assume that taxpayers aren't looking to spend money to fix our image.

sad day....I was looking forward to exposing Goodell's cover-up: "We don't believe [advanced video scouting] has been a widespread practice" -- ROTFLMAO.

Memor to big-league commissioners: GET THOSE SMIRKS OFF YOUR FACES

Yup....another great waste of tax payers money....oh wait....so is Arlen Specter....:singing: :bricks:

So somebody finally gave him his meds. Good to see.

Specter. thank you for trying and go back to your cave.

Finally it's over. We can move on to the 2008 season.

Finally it's over. We can move on to the 2008 season.

Yes thank goodness indeed. This whole witch hunt has been a waste of tv time and journalistic talent.

Embrace the hate in 08!

pic2.jpg

the fat lady is singing

Tomasse, is that you?!

Specter milked this thing long enough to sell his new book.

LOL LOL LOL @ "The public's attention span is so short."

(From the article)

Yeah, they just couldn't sustain outrage over a bunch of videotapes for the year-long stint you were looking for, after gas hit 4 bucks a gallon and they had to only half-seat 2 states in one of the major party conventions.

WHEW! Good thing you got right on top of this the week of the super bowl, only 5 months after the news broke!

Eh well. Best just to say, WE WIN!

PFnV

yeah it was clear from the start he was only doing it to try and make himself look like a hero to the people of his state. the guy is a selfish, agenda driven jerk, period.

One would wonder why he is still a Senator....he just made a career ending move.....time to leave office Arlen....:bricks:

When Specter says the "mood is not right and we've got...bigger problems to deal with," it suggests that not only were the mail and phone calls to his office running negative but also that perhaps someone like Leahy, or maybe Ted Kennedy before his illness, quietly pulled him aside and told him that he was embarrassing himself.

Three thoughts (before you flame me, recall that I was the first one to publish on this board on the morning of the Super Bowl the "money link" between Specter and Comcast & Comcast's Lobbyists; others ran with that story and I received an e-mail from one major journalist, to whom I also sent the data, thanking me for it):

1) If Specter had a valid point, it was that Sports Leagues with antitrust exemptions need to be transparently honest about the integrity of their games on the field. Alleged or real "cheating" by the decade's most dominant NFL franchise that was not transparently investigated by the League was open to fair questioning. I think that Specter crossed the line into "unfair" and even irrational behavior, but that does not negate Congress' legitimate interest in the underlying question.

2) Goodell made a major error in destroying the original tapes and asking the public, the media and congress to "trust" him that his investigation had been full and fair. At the time, I thought he was doing the Patriots and Bob Kraft a favor, but the immutable law of unintended consequences took over and, in retrospect, it was a bad, bad decision. If Tags or Rozelle or Bell had done something like that after years on the job, they might have gotten away with it, but Goodell was still an unknown quantity. Ultimately, the mess that resulted will cost him his job within a few years, IMO.

3) Keep your fingers crossed. If anything credible comes out about the integrity of the behavior of the Patriots or any team in the league in the next year or so, the whole can of worms will open up again and Specter will have a triumphant, "I told you so," news conference calling for a full investigation by the League or by congress.

Spinctor made a arse out of himself.. And since he spent all of our tax payers money on making matt walsh a household name for 4 months, we can get on with our lives...

When Specter says the "mood is not right and we've got...bigger problems to deal with," it suggests that not only were the mail and phone calls to his office running negative but also that perhaps someone like Leahy, or maybe Ted Kennedy before his illness, quietly pulled him aside and told him that he was embarrassing himself.

Three thoughts (before you flame me, recall that I was the first one to publish on this board on the morning of the Super Bowl the "money link" between Specter and Comcast & Comcast's Lobbyists; others ran with that story and I received an e-mail from one major journalist, to whom I also sent the data, thanking me for it):

1) If Specter had a valid point, it was that Sports Leagues with antitrust exemptions need to be transparently honest about the integrity of their games on the field. Alleged or real "cheating" by the decade's most dominant NFL franchise that was not transparently investigated by the League was open to fair questioning. I think that Specter crossed the line into "unfair" and even irrational behavior, but that does not negate Congress' legitimate interest in the underlying question.

2) Goodell made a major error in destroying the original tapes and asking the public, the media and congress to "trust" him that his investigation had been full and fair. At the time, I thought he was doing the Patriots and Bob Kraft a favor, but the immutable law of unintended consequences took over and, in retrospect, it was a bad, bad decision. If Tags or Rozelle or Bell had done something like that after years on the job, they might have gotten away with it, but Goodell was still an unknown quantity. Ultimately, the mess that resulted will cost him his job within a few years, IMO.

3) Keep your fingers crossed. If anything credible comes out about the integrity of the behavior of the Patriots or any team in the league in the next year or so, the whole can of worms will open up again and Specter will have a triumphant, "I told you so," news conference calling for a full investigation by the League or by congress.

Good post. I have a some additional thoughts on point #3: I think, if he wanted to use them, Specter has let a few "I told you so" opportunities go by over the last few months. He was completely silent on the 49ers tampering penalty and the accompanying rumors as well as the claims that players on IR were practicing for the Patriots. He acknowledged Walsh's assertion that the Jets were filming signals and then never spoke of it again.

Aside from the "spying" claims about the Jets, the other 2 items aren't as easy to sell as taping signals or a walk through tape, but Specter could have used them if his true agenda was to protect the integrity of the sport.

Unless the Patriots get caught taping again next season (or they beat the Eagles in the SB again), I don't think we'll hear more than the occasional insult from Specter.

Good post. I have a some additional thoughts on point #3: I think, if he wanted to use them, Specter has let a few "I told you so" opportunities go by over the last few months. He was completely silent on the 49ers tampering penalty and the accompanying rumors as well as the claims that players on IR were practicing for the Patriots. He acknowledged Walsh's assertion that the Jets were filming signals and then never spoke of it again.

Aside from the "spying" claims about the Jets, the other 2 items aren't as easy to sell as taping signals or a walk through tape, but Specter could have used them if his true agenda was to protect the integrity of the sport.

Unless the Patriots get caught taping again next season (or they beat the Eagles in the SB again), I don't think we'll hear more than the occasional insult from Specter.

BEAT PA :rocker:

BEAT PA :rocker:

damn senators....

Specter was able to...

1) Make the fact that BB had been taping since 2000 public information, when before it was merely assumed.

2) Make SpyGate unnecessarily relevant again for a period, once again making it fresh in people's minds.

He's done his damage. Good riddance and I wish nothing but the worst for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft