PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

..."this is much worse than Spygate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhodyPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The words of Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon on PTI.
They want to know where Arlen Specter is.
I want to know where Bob Ryan is.
What are they talking about?
They are talking about former NBA ref Tim Donaghy who BET on at least 100 NBA games that HE officiated.
An NBA referee!! Betting on NBA games!! Betting on games that he officiated!! Over 100 games!!

A google search

Tim Donagy - 232,000 returns
Spygate - 521,000 returns

Need further evidence that when it comes to mediot nation it's never about the sin but all about the sinner?

Last edited:
Puts things in perspective.

Also, cheating by 90's 49ers, 90's broncos, and 70's Steelers is much worse than CameraHunt too.

It'll never be "worse" because fans don't know whether they benefitted or were screwed over. It's just a league issue. The NFL f'd up by making videotaping a "Patriots" issue.

Although I am not as much of an avid NBA fan as I was in the late 80s and early 90s (when basketball was still good), I have watched a few games and I think that the officiating is so bad and so biased towards some of the superstars that even without the Tim Donaghy scandal there seems to be a far worse problem to address in the NBA than the NFL.

I agree though that the whole Tim Donaghy scandal is far worse than Spygate or anything the Patriots are accused of.

Last edited:
Actually, there were two teams that colluded with each other last year to reach a desired outcome of a game in the NFL, one that had playoff implications for a third team. It was ignored.

No way any objective view could have watched the INDY/TEN game and determined that in addition to RESTING it's starters, there was at least 3 possessions that INDY went out of it's way NOT to score.

That is a huge transgression that could have, in addition to loss of competition integrity, buy Las Vegas implications as well.

It's definately worse than Spygate. Spygate involved a varied way of gathering information that every team in the league had access to.

This involves, potentially, referees fixing games. The two are not even in the same stratosphere.

They are talking about former NBA ref Tim Donaghy who BET on at least 100 NBA games that HE officiated.
An NBA referee!! Betting on NBA games!! Betting on games that he officiated!! Over 100 games!!

A google search

Need further evidence that when it comes to mediot nation it's never about the sin but all about the sinner?

Spector's defense: The NBA doesn't have a anti-trust exemption.
Ryan's excuse: He's a douche:)

Common sense apparently is not that common in the media.

Spector's defense: The NBA doesn't have a anti-trust exemption.
Ryan's excuse: He's a douche:)

When did the NBA lose its antitrust exemption? All of the major sports have an Antitrust exemption (the Non-Statutory Labor Exemption from the Clayton Act of 1914). How else would there be salary caps in sports? The antitrust exemption is what allows sports leagues to implement it. That was why when the NBA had a lock out many of the bigger stars were pushing to decertify the union. Without a player's union, the NBA's antitrust exemption would have been invalidated. That is also why two years ago when it looked like the CBA was not going to be renewed by the NFL, there was talk of disbanding the NFLPA.

Last edited:

A google search

I just wrote this in another thread, but I think it's worth repeating. Having an NFL team get caught breaking the rules is a lot different than a referee breaking the rules.

I agree it was just as agregious an act, but they are 2 very different acts. Didn't that ref get fired? If so, there's not much to discuss or write about.

BUT...the fact that we know of no major media affiliate who has committed a team to investigate the "spy culture" in the NFL is inexuseable. it's as if they don't want to know anything else.

A google search

NFL football is about 50000 times more popular than the NBA.

sdfan

One has to wonder if Specturd is going to investigate this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/s...tml?_r=2&ref=football&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

"David Jacobs, a convicted steroids dealer from Plano, Tex., provided documentary evidence to N.F.L. officials on Wednesday that his lawyer said tied several players to the use of performance-enhancing drugs."

Supposedly, these players are with the Cowboys and Falcons.

:/

A google search

not only that donaghy said that players and coaches were betting on games as well. that is 1000 times worse than spygate could ever be. yet espn.....well you know

Perhaps the difference in coverage is due to Donaghy being a ref and not a player or a coach. The spygate saga inflamed emotions of fans from one team versus fans of all other teams, fueled by years of smack talk on internet message boards and gossipy talk radio shows with a motive to incite rather than inform. Even if Donaghy was an NFL ref and did what he did, the story would not be as big as the Pats taping signals - even though it would have been 50,000 times worse as far the words that are often thrown out such as cheating, integrity, and tainted championships.

Last edited:
Or just that the NBA has a commisioner who realized how damaging it could be and clamped it down hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down