PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mayo Has Surgery, Could Miss Season with Torn Pectoral

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is horrible news all the way around, even if it isn't season-ending. Those that were trying to downplay his significance to this defense are about to see what it's like without him. I sincerely hope he's back for the playoffs.

Time for Hightower to hold it down and step his game up.

Has anyone gotten a good glimpse of what jamie collins can bring to th table? He looked lost in preaseason.

Big blow to the defense. We are going to need hightower, spikes and Collins to step up

Hopefully since he hasn't been placed on IR we can get him back for the playoffs

I was listening to sports radio on my drive in this morning. 98.5's headlines said he's out for the year, then immediately after that, WEEI's headlines said he's going to miss at least 8 weeks. So is WEEI behind the times, or is 98.5 jumping the gun?

Wow, inadvertently, that sentence just described the general state of both stations...

Defensive Adjustment: Charting Patriots Personnel in Wake of Jerod Mayo?s Pectoral Injury | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

Pretty good breakdown of how the Pats adjusted after Mayo went out. Mixed notes of caution and optimism:

... the Patriots defense survived without the services of Mayo for seven defensive downs, but it’s important to note that the triumphs hinged on the situation. New Orleans opting to pass just twice in response to Mayo’s departure contributed to the outcome.

With that said, the Patriots came through with the adjustments and resistance to make the Oct. 13 victory possible. Fletcher, an adept cover linebacker and special teamer, may ultimately assume Mayo’s duties in the base 4-3. Although from the small sample size on film, it’s clear that the reboot will be more than a one-man fix.

When the defense went to the nickel, it was solely Hightower in the mix at linebacker. When the run scenario unfolded, the coaching staff turned to four linebackers and incorporated Collins’ explosive athleticism for five plays. And on another play, Ninkovich was called to his old stomping grounds at 3-4 outside linebacker.

From what we saw Sunday evening, it’s evident that the leadership and production of Mayo will not be replaced by one source.

This is a disaster. It will become clear to people soon just how important Mayo is to the D. It's much worse than losing Wilfork, IMO.

Has anyone gotten a good glimpse of what jamie collins can bring to th table? He looked lost in preaseason.

From what I've seen, less than Harmon and Ryan to date. He looks like a guy that still doesn't have the playbook down on defense and spends too much time thinking. He is contributing on special teams, though.

This is horrible news all the way around, even if it isn't season-ending. Those that were trying to downplay his significance to this defense are about to see what it's like without him. I sincerely hope he's back for the playoffs.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest someone could replicate his level of pass coverage (Fletcher, Collins). But no one is going to be able to replicate what he does against the run.

Alone, I think we could've survived the Mayo loss. But combined with the loss of Wilfork, it guts this team's run defense, which is the heart of the D, and what forces teams to be one-dimensional against us. In the rare occassions we've struggled to stop the run in the last five or six years, we have gotten our ***es handed to us.

Hopefully, he remains on the 53 and is back in the playoffs when stopping the run matters most.

This season is really testing the mettle of the Patriots. Sucks that Mayo is gone but have to move on and other players will have to step up (Hightower, Fletcher, Collins(?)). Here's to hoping the injury bug has run its course in Foxboro and is done inflicting damage.

This is a disaster. It will become clear to people soon just how important Mayo is to the D. It's much worse than losing Wilfork, IMO.
You may be right, but the bright side is that we seem to have a better quality replacement or group of replacements.

Does Urlacher have anything left in the tank?

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest someone could replicate his level of pass coverage (Fletcher, Collins). But no one is going to be able to replicate what he does against the run.

Alone, I think we could've survived the Mayo loss. But combined with the loss of Wilfork, it guts this team's run defense, which is the heart of the D, and what forces teams to be one-dimensional against us. In the rare occassions we've struggled to stop the run in the last five or six years, we have gotten our ***es handed to us.

Hopefully, he remains on the 53 and is back in the playoffs when stopping the run matters most.

I think it would be a bigger loss if we were still playing a 2gap 34.
Will in a 43 could be the easiest position on the field to play run D from.
Now I'm now downplaying Mayo, I'm saying if you told me one guy who hasn't been on the field needs to be in run D and I can pick, I'd say Collins as the Will.
We may have lost our best defender but we may be replacing him with the best guy who wasn't getting on the field.

This sucks. Hightower, Collins, et all need to sack up for this defense to keep performing at a high level. It's amazing that our best player at all 3 levels of the defense is now injured

I think it would be a bigger loss if we were still playing a 2gap 34.
Will in a 43 could be the easiest position on the field to play run D from.
Now I'm now downplaying Mayo, I'm saying if you told me one guy who hasn't been on the field needs to be in run D and I can pick, I'd say Collins as the Will.
We may have lost our best defender but we may be replacing him with the best guy who wasn't getting on the field.

Good points - and I hope you are right about Collins. We do have good depth at the position, fortunately. That I feel certain about.

Mayo to IR is official. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick