PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gronkowski May Require Back Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the report is true--his recovery timeframe coincides with recovery form his arm surgery, and there's little long term concern--then it sounds like they're just taking advantage of downtime to address it now so that they won't have to down the line. Less "when it rains it pours" than "let's just get it all out of the way now".

That's certainly what the Schefter report makes it sound like. That it's a nagging thing he otherwise would have let go, but if he is going to have to have recovery time on the arm anyway, he is seeing if he can get it taken care of during the same period. That would explain the timing and why it's only coming up now even though the season has been over for months. Hope it's the case.

oh shut up. Wasn't hearing this from the doom and gloom crowd when he played in 46 straight games to start his career. But because a guy landed on his ankle and some jag ran through his arm on an extra point he's glass now.

You want glass, see Bob Sanders

Hahah are you actually serious right now? Yes COMPLETELY leave out the impending back surgery for a guy who missed an entire year of football because of back injury. Its just because of a freak ankle twist and extra point :rofl: you are completely delusional.

He broke the arm by extending it rather than tucking it in, he likely did so because he doesn't trust himself to do it without extending. Extending the arm really isn't necessary if you've built up some decent skill, the rolling action will occur because of the torso.

Take a look at the beginning of this vid and notice that there's virtually no impact absorbed by the arm.

Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu & Yawara Demo - YouTube

It's especially frustrating because there are many NFL players that can breakfall exceptionally well.

Ultimately I see Gronk being a chronic injury case. He plays with reckless abandon and won't stop anytime soon, combine that with his previous injuries and I doubt we'll ever see him play a full season again.

I'd actually be ok with trading him when we can get good value.

Not sure what your point is. We know he didn't fully trust the arm, and he was also trying to catch a football. There is nothing in the manner that he fell that you can draw any conclusions from.

Not sure what your point is. We know he didn't fully trust the arm, and he was also trying to catch a football. There is nothing in the manner that he fell that you can draw any conclusions from.

He put out his bad arm to try to break his fall, that's very stupid. He's also done plenty of other stupid things which put his health at risk, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

He put out his bad arm to try to break his fall, that's very stupid. He's also done plenty of other stupid things which put his health at risk, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Did you see the play? Not much time to do critical thinking.

Hahah are you actually serious right now? Yes COMPLETELY leave out the impending back surgery for a guy who missed an entire year of football because of back injury. Its just because of a freak ankle twist and extra point :rofl: you are completely delusional.

Outside of Pollard landing on his ankle and his arm getting broken, did he or did he not have any injuries or problems in his Patriots career?

No he did not.

He certainly didn't have anything wrong with his back until now.

But I get it the doom and gloom crowd is in full effect right now. You doom and gloomers should go read the front page article on nfl.com entitled "Life without Gronk" where they have some of their guys predict how the season would go for the Patriots if Gronk was out for the season, some of their predictions might get you guys to achieve climax for the day.

Outside of Pollard landing on his ankle and his arm getting broken, did he or did he not have any injuries or problems in his Patriots career?

No he did not.

He certainly didn't have anything wrong with his back until now.

But I get it the doom and gloom crowd is in full effect right now. The doom and gloomers should go read the front page article on nfl.com entitled "Life without Gronk" where they have some of their guys predict how the season would go for the Patriots if Gronk was out for the season, some of their predictions might get you guys to achieve climax for the day.

He was battling back issues early last season. And now this. How is it doom and gloom to think this guy is injury prone? Sorry that someone had to call you out on taking this way too lightly and getting pissy with another poster for thinking Gronk gets injured.

Did anyone actually say they are screwed and they would lose the division?

Rob Gronkowski will never play an entire NFL season for the rest of his career, however long or short that may be. We must accept this reality!

I literally laughed out loud on this. Some comic relief in a very "unfunny" situation.
Glad I could help. I might be off a day or two either way, but...

Rob Gronkowski will never play an entire NFL season for the rest of his career, however long or short that may be. We must accept this reality!
where can we set up a wager?

Really? why?

If this keeps up, he will be traded. No piece is worth this amount of aggravation, not even Gronk.

Its hard to find pieces like Gronkowski, but it can be argued that the two previous postseasons were ruined because of Gronkowski's inability to stay healthy.

Gronkowski would be worth at least a first and a second, we could trade him to a team like Dallas and move forward with Hernandez, Ballard and Hooman this year.

If anything else comes up, or if gronk can't recover before the start of the season i think you need to seriously consider getting him out of here while his value is still high.

24 hours ago you were howling about how he'd been cured. Now, you think he'll die by Memorial Day (which, I must admit, would be fitting.) Man, you need to get back on the "good aspirin."

If this keeps up, he will be traded. No piece is worth this amount of aggravation, not even Gronk.

Its hard to find pieces like Gronkowski, but it can be argued that the two previous postseasons were ruined because of Gronkowski's inability to stay healthy.

Gronkowski would be worth at least a first and a second, we could trade him to a team like Dallas and move forward with Hernandez, Ballard and Hooman this year.

If anything else comes up, or if gronk can't recover before the start of the season i think you need to seriously consider getting him out of here while his value is still high.

Why would his value be high if you are so willing to dump him? If what keeps up? What exactly did Gronk do wrong?

That says more about the Patriots than it does Gronk. In '08 Brady went down for the year and they only missed out on the playoffs because of a tie breaker and they had a guy who hadn't started since he was in high school as their QB and is now the backup to Christian Ponder.

Can't have a team where their #1 TE goes down and that's the difference between potentially winning two Super Bowls and losing the SB one year and the AFC championship the next.

Had the Pats had a true outside receiving threat both years, Brady may have had a ring for everyone of this throwing hand's fingers right now.

24 hours ago you were howling about how he'd been cured. Now, you think he'll die by Memorial Day (which, I must admit, would be fitting.) Man, you need to get back on the "good aspirin."

I made one post saying its good news the infection cleared and then another with a link of where I got that interpretation of the news. Yes that is howling that he has been cured :confused:.

Sorry let's take this slowly. When you've had multiple arm surgeries and an infection inside your arm it is bad even when homers do not want to admit it. When said infection clears up it is good. I hope that clarifies my howling for you.

I didn't say he would die, I called out an idiot making fun of a poster for thinking Gronkowski is injury prone. And prior to that sarcastically said this is a nonissue.

So let's recap your garbage, hyperbole filled post. Stating that an infection being cleared up is good in 1 post equates to howling about a cure. Sarcastically saying that this is a nonissue and then calling out a poster for discounting this news equates to thinking he will die.

good-job-good-effort-kid-e1339021157881.jpg

One question I have, is how long has he been dealing with this issue. Was it just a few games or the past season? It seems as this is a touch up since he will already be down for 10 weeks. I don't think it's that bad and maybe he might miss a game at the beginning. But all that means is Tom will have to develop trust with the wide receivers. So this should be a more of a blessing of a more potent attack. And gronks messing around certainly hasn't helped.

That says more about the Patriots than it does Gronk. In '08 Brady went down for the year and they only missed out on the playoffs because of a tie breaker and they had a guy who hadn't started since he was in high school as their QB and is now the backup to Christian Ponder.

Can't have a team where their #1 TE goes down and that's the difference between potentially winning two Super Bowls and losing the SB one year and the AFC championship the next.

Winning the superbowl is hard. Winning without one of the best players in the league is harder. I don't think your example proves what you think it does, without Brady they missed the playoffs, losing to every single playoff team they faced that year. Without Gronk, they lost a super bowl by a hair and made it to another AFCCG.

Sure, we'd like to think the Patriots should be so loaded that they could lose elite players left and right and still dominate the NFL every year, but it just doesn't work that way.

I made one post saying its good news the infection cleared and then another with a link of where I got that interpretation of the news. Yes that is howling that he has been cured :confused:.

Sorry let's take this slowly. When you've had multiple arm surgeries and an infection inside your arm it is bad even when homers do not want to admit it. When said infection clears up it is good. I hope that clarifies my howling for you.

I didn't say he would die, I called out an idiot making fun of a poster for thinking Gronkowski is injury prone. And prior to that sarcastically said this is a nonissue.

So let's recap your garbage, hyperbole filled post. Stating that an infection being cleared up is good in 1 post equates to howling about a cure. Sarcastically saying that this is a nonissue and then calling out a poster for discounting this news equates to thinking he will die.
Honestly, and I mean this, you make me laugh more than any poster on this board, and that covers 5+ years. You have a spectacular sense of humor. Don't ever lose it !

Did you see the play? Not much time to do critical thinking.

Yes, I saw the play many times. How much critical thinking does one need to catch a pass? What about a juke?

systema rolling 2 closer to the ground - YouTube

How much critical thinking is this guy doing?

They're physical skills that one trains, do it enough and there is no thinking, you simply react. I've seen other Patriots players put their arm out to try to break falls with bad results, Brandon Tate almost cost Brady a TD at 2:36 by putting his arm out.

Brandon Tate Highlights - YouTube

I think the Pats coaching staff should bring in people to better train the players on this skill but I still have to place blame on Gronk for trying to absorb a ton of impact with the bodypart he just broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back