PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Danny Amendola and the Patriots have agreed to restructure contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. I agree Pat's ST are up there. Last year for what ever reason our STs were vulnerable. Without making excuses or being a Homer but I'm going to chalk it up to just a weird second half with injuries, having players play in roles that they never did before and plays that determined outcome of scores. So I'm calling last year's STs ( Murphy's Law) a fluke. With our ST Players hopefully in their usual positions this year, Pats should be be right up there again.

Agreed about the injuries. There were 2-3 occasions last season, where Slater left a game with injuries and we were speculating how many games he would miss, and he invariably, and surprisingly, didn't miss as much time as we were worried about.

He was playing hurt much of the year.

Agreed about the injuries. There were 2-3 occasions last season, where Slater left a game with injuries and we were speculating how many games he would miss, and he invariably, and surprisingly, didn't miss as much time as we were worried about.

He was playing hurt much of the year.

Amendola's toughness is off the charts, he will play through almost anything. Playing an entire season with a torn groin to serve as decoy when all he could do was run in straight lines was a great demonstration of his toughness and commitment to the team. Most players would have shut it down to protect their careers.

I think we will keep 6 WRs + Slater this year given how depleted we became last season at the position.
With Bennett, Gronk and at least 2 receiving RB's, 4 WR is more likely than 6. 5 is most likely. Of course, I'm not counting the Practice Squad.

Lucien over Martin.

I agree somewhat. Lucien has a higher ceiling, but Martin has the advantage of knowing the playbook.

Arizona State apparently modeled their offense on the Pats, but I still expect there to be a learning curve. So I dunno who stays and who gets cut

Last edited:
If you took DA over WW your team would not be as good

You may not recall the 07 playoffs and the Gronk-less 2012 playoffs. He saved that team's ass and kept them competitive.

We are all still upset with him over the drop but to say DA is better is irresponsible.

Sorry, we just disagree.

Again, this is not a knock on Welker, but the day Welker could not play in January 2010 vs Baltimore and Edelman was the best player on the field that day for EITHER team, that pretty much proves you to be incorrect, at least saying what you're saying.

If there was ever a time to say the system and Brady makes the slot player what he is here, it's right there.

And, the fact is, Edelman is better than Welker. He's a better punt returner, can line up outside and is more dynamic.

I said that YEARS ago when Welker was demanding 10-12 mil per in his contract negotiations, with how delusional he was not knowing Edelman was standing right there. His agent should have known that, too. I think his agent is FrankBauer the same as Mankins's. That's a red flag right there. Another great regular season player, but a mediocre one in the postseason.

Much of what made Welker do the 100 receptions per year was obviously fit here, Brady AND the great weapons around him.

He went from Moss to Gronk, each taking on doubles, where his quick routes would provide him opportunities to pad those stats. Great slot player, but as you can see, others can also be great there, too.

Put it this way, Amendola would have 80-100 receptions per year here if it was just Gronk and no Edelman. He would be Welker.

There'd be another Z WR Brady would have, maybe not be a complete binky like Edelman, and Amendola would get Gronk's leftovers.

It's not a knock on Welker, but I sort of thought fans would finally admit this at this point.

Also, it's an offensive era. Welker was a GREAT regular season player in an bloated offensive era, but he's not better than Edelman nor Troy Brown. The latter 2 are gamers.

PS Brady made a poor throw in SB 46. Welker should have had it, yes, but Brady threw off his back foot and rushed it, not following through.

Fact is, in SB 46 if just one of Brady's gaffes (Safety on 1st down, INT on 1st down to a hobbled Gronk, miss to a wide open Welker), we win that SB.

Sadly, those 2 SBs were about Brady not wanting to run anything from under Center to get to playaction. Not even a remote effort to do it. I think BJGE had like 8 carries in SB 46, with a 17-9, 17-12 and 17-15 lead in the 2nd half. Painful. Absolutely painful. I think SB 46's loss is worse than SB 42's.

From 2010-2011, when BJGE ws a feature back in the gameplan, the Pats never lost. Truth.

No. When the roster picker is up, Slater will be among the WRs. That's just where he falls on the depth chart. You keep Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell (Belichick has never cut a 4th round draft pick).

The you have to pick one or two of Washington, Martin, Dobson, Lucien, Carter and Slater.

Maybe they go with Slater plus one of those five receivers. Maybe not.

Washington is a proven X receiver who, at 30, will be tested mightily by this group of younger guys. If he's on the same page with Brady and Garoppolo in camp and pre-season, though, he beceomes immensely valuable during the first four weeks. Dobson is probably toast. Even if he's great in the pre-season, he's such an injury risk. Keshawn Martin is terrific, in my opinion. He's a veteran receiver and a good return man to take some of the risk of injury off of Edelman and/or Amendola. Lucien is a Swiss Army knife player who might fill in for Lewis if Lewis is on PUP. Carter's a long shot.

Last, Slater's cap hit is $1.77M and he's 30.

Somebody posted about the practice squad for this team. There will be genuine talent waiting in the wings. Lucien may go the PS after Lewis returns from the PUP list.

If the receiving corps is Martin, Washington, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell, you've got five veterans. They will have three guys who are 6'1" X receivers (Washington, Hogan and Mitchell is an upgrade over LaFell - if they get the offense.) There are three kick returners to spread the work and risk around.

Combine this group with Bennett and Gronkowski, and Garoppolo will have the upper hand in matchups with the first four opponents. Brady will pick apart defenses with this crew of receivers - the best since Moss-Welker in 2007.

Not to be picky, but Washington is 32. I think this will be his last year, regardless.

Ancient history but in the Giant SB wins, Brady was injured in both. In 07, he had a high ankle sprain the week of the game, in SB 46 he was injured in the 3rd qtr on a sack ans separated his shoulder. His throws were off the rest of the game.

Just sayin.

Sorry, we just disagree.

Again, this is not a knock on Welker, but the day Welker could not play in January 2010 vs Baltimore and Edelman was the best player on the field that day for EITHER team, that pretty much proves you to be incorrect, at least saying what you're saying.

If there was ever a time to say the system and Brady makes the slot player what he is here, it's right there.

And, the fact is, Edelman is better than Welker. He's a better punt returner, can line up outside and is more dynamic.

I said that YEARS ago when Welker was demanding 10-12 mil per in his contract negotiations, with how delusional he was not knowing Edelman was standing right there. His agent should have known that, too. I think his agent is FrankBauer the same as Mankins's. That's a red flag right there. Another great regular season player, but a mediocre one in the postseason.

Much of what made Welker do the 100 receptions per year was obviously fit here, Brady AND the great weapons around him.

He went from Moss to Gronk, each taking on doubles, where his quick routes would provide him opportunities to pad those stats. Great slot player, but as you can see, others can also be great there, too.

Put it this way, Amendola would have 80-100 receptions per year here if it was just Gronk and no Edelman. He would be Welker.

There'd be another Z WR Brady would have, maybe not be a complete binky like Edelman, and Amendola would get Gronk's leftovers.

It's not a knock on Welker, but I sort of thought fans would finally admit this at this point.

Also, it's an offensive era. Welker was a GREAT regular season player in an bloated offensive era, but he's not better than Edelman nor Troy Brown. The latter 2 are gamers.

PS Brady made a poor throw in SB 46. Welker should have had it, yes, but Brady threw off his back foot and rushed it, not following through.

Fact is, in SB 46 if just one of Brady's gaffes (Safety on 1st down, INT on 1st down to a hobbled Gronk, miss to a wide open Welker), we win that SB.

Sadly, those 2 SBs were about Brady not wanting to run anything from under Center to get to playaction. Not even a remote effort to do it. I think BJGE had like 8 carries in SB 46, with a 17-9, 17-12 and 17-15 lead in the 2nd half. Painful. Absolutely painful. I think SB 46's loss is worse than SB 42's.

From 2010-2011, when BJGE ws a feature back in the gameplan, the Pats never lost. Truth.
Admit what? DA > WW? You have got to be kidding me.

You say that you aren't knocking WW but you are finding faults in his game and calling his production and entire career overrated.

Ray Rice was the best offensive player on the field that day and it isn't close.

DA doesn't have the durability or production WW had. Neither does JE but I would take JE over WW. Maybe Troy in his prime too....I dunna know. Need to think about that one.

Ancient history but in the Giant SB wins, Brady was injured in both. In 07, he had a high ankle sprain the week of the game, in SB 46 he was injured in the 3rd qtr on a sack ans separated his shoulder. His throws were off the rest of the game.

Just sayin.

I know the SB42 high ankle sprain to be true, but did Brady really get a separated shoulder in SB46? Is that a fact?

I also wonder about Slater. He is a Pro Bowl luxury.

With that said I shudder to think how much worse STs would be without him.
I bet you that BB does not see having good special teamers as a luxury. He seems to see it as a very important piece to going all the way.

I think we will keep 6 WRs + Slater this year given how depleted we became last season at the position.

If every position were staffed up to a reasonable comfort level, the roster would expand well beyond 53 players.

Our four best returning pass catchers are in some order Gronk, Edelman, Amendola and Lewis. All have been quite injury prone over their careers.

But something similar can be said about the OL. Similarly RB/FB -- Lewis (again), Blount and Develin have all had recent season-ending injuries. And while it's not exactly this group of guys, how many seasons have there been when CB depth proved insufficient? Etc.

I bet you that BB does not see having good special teamers as a luxury. He seems to see it as a very important piece to going all the way.
No but ones that do nothing but play STs are unusual.

Amendola's toughness is off the charts, he will play through almost anything. Playing an entire season with a torn groin to serve as decoy when all he could do was run in straight lines was a great demonstration of his toughness and commitment to the team. Most players would have shut it down to protect their careers.
How arrogant of him. He only played to show how tough he is! :eek:

No but ones that do nothing but play STs are unusual.
Is it for Bill though? Last year we pretty much had 2 ST only players that are not kicking/snaping. King and Slater. We also had Bolden that did play RB, but was obviously very low on that depth chart as the pats kept brining in other guys to run instead of him.

I love this. BUT

4 million is still a hefty amount. I can see the rookies plus Hopkins (I'm very high on him) and/or Washington being more cost efficient than Danny Boy.

But at that price, even if he sticks around, still quite the bargain!

Is it for Bill though? Last year we pretty much had 2 ST only players that are not kicking/snaping. King and Slater. We also had Bolden that did play RB, but was obviously very low on that depth chart as the pats kept brining in other guys to run instead of him.

Yea I probably stand corrected on that. Chris White was another one last year that played exclusively on STs ....and he was cut.

Yea I probably stand corrected on that. Chris White was another one last year that played exclusively on STs ....and he was cut.
I think that for a player to be able to stick around as a ST only guy he has to be a really dominant ST guy. White was good, but not dominant like Slater. King also looks to be really good.

I think that for a player to be able to stick around as a ST only guy he has to be a really dominant ST guy. White was good, but not dominant like Slater. King also looks to be really good.
Yep. King is outstanding.

Slater was banged up a lot last year. Hope he isn't wearing down

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back