PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report Card Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 60 minute game Ray as their HC preached all season. Doesn't matter what you did in the first two series, let alone after you didn't finish those either. The JETS were a little taken aback by what they were seeing early. Then they adjusted, and they stuck to their guns for 60 minutes while we seemed to become increasingly flumoxed and less effective in all three phases of the game.

Except that's not what Borges indicated. We blew scoring opportunities and gave the jets the ball in good position after excellent drives where we mixed run and pass perfectly. Each game has a rhythm and the 10-14 points we should have had would have left Ryan scrambling and our running game a perfect opportunity to move the ball and force Ryan to abandon his DB on the line defense at least.

But we got no points. We got behind and gave Rex a chance to play his game, run the ball against our depleted line , give mediocre Sanchez a chance to get his sea legs and open receivers, and execute the plan he did not succesfully run the first two series when we passed and ran at will.

I don't know what team others watched this year, but the one I watched scored early, setting up our average running game for success, and allowing our young defense the chance to play pass defense against teams that needed to play catch up.

If you saw games where we relied on our defense to shout out teams while our running game controlled the ball in long, unstoppable, clock killing drives, let me know which games those were.

Great teams can beat you at your game or their game. There are very few teams like that, Maybe on of ours, in 2004.

Last edited:
Then again there were guys like you said the OL could not run block as the reason why Maroney sucked but I guess BJGE suddenly was behind an OL who changed dramatically once he was put in as the main guy :rolleyes:

Let's face it,BJGE is and was more talented than that dancing bum from the Minny Gophers.

The o-line wasn't run blocking well. Even a cursory look at the games demonstrated that. I do love the revisionist history here, though. Maroney was the team's #1 running back while he was in New England. Whatever the hell happened with the guy this year doesn't change that.

Except that's not what Borges indicated. We blew scoring opportunities and gave the jets the ball in good position after excellent drives where we mixed run and pass perfectly. Each game has a rhythm and the 10-14 points we should have had would have left Ryan scrambling and our running game a perfect opportunity to move the ball and force Ryan to abandon his DB on the line defense at least.

But we got no points. We got behind and gave Rex a chance to play his game, run the ball against our depleted line , give mediocre Sanchez a chance to get his sea legs and open receivers, and execute the plan he did not succesfully run the first two series when we passed and ran at will.

I don't know what team others watched this year, but the one I watched scored early, setting up our average running game for success, and allowing our young defense the chance to play pass defense against teams that needed to play catch up.

If you saw games where we relied on our defense to shout out teams while our running game controlled the ball in long, unstoppable, clock killing drives, let me know which games those were.

We had to score early and we had to keep scoring, Ray. There was a reason. That's who we were in 2011. And on Sunday we did neither. Close only counts in horse shoes. We couldn't finish drives whether because of poor execution or poor game planning or a run of bad luck. And we didn't have the kind of defense that can compensate. What does Bill always say about stats...points scored and points against and the W or L that result are the only stats that matter. Moving the chains in spurts and then stalling or mounting a drive to get back in it only to have the opposition ram it right back down your throat even as you dominated TOP...nothing matters beyond we didn't remotely do enough to win at any point in that game. We didn't play complimentary or smart situational football in any of the three phases of the game. When that happens it's more akin to a total system failure.

Last edited:
As anticipated, the other shoe in Borgie's closet has dropped. His longstanding Jimmy's and Joe's argument (it's talent not coaching...). Only thing is these playoff struggles date back to 2005-06 when the Jimmy's and Joe's were named Rodney and Tedy and Willie and Vrabel, etc. (and others including guys the Borgie's of the world didn't exactly identify as elite talents out of the gate...).

And for those who think he's defending Bill, LOL What he's saying is anyone who believes he's been largely responsible for the success here is just a fool. That's been his prime contention going on a decade now irrespective all the divisions won with a plethora of Jimmy's and Joe's doing their job where the X's and O's were concerned.

Bill's job is to win consistently and assemble a roster that can compete consistently and then put them in position to win it all. He stubbed his toe last week, but in a season where he turned the roster over exponentially and lost a couple of key players out of the gate, I still wouldn't trade him for Rex Ryan and all the talent Dan Snyder has ever overpaid...

Talent, not coaching, doomed Patriots - BostonHerald.com

We had to score early and we had to keep scoring, Ray. There was a reason. That's who we were in 2011. And on Sunday we did neither. Close only counts in horse shoes. We couldn't finish drives whether because of poor execution or poor game planning or a run of bad luck. And we didn't have the kind of defense that can compensate. What does Bill always say about stats...points scored and points against and the W or L that result are the only stats that matter. Moving the chains in spurts and then stalling or mounting a drive to get back in it only to have the opposition ram it right back down your throat even as you dominated TOP...nothing matters beyond we didn't remotely do enough to win at any point in that game. We didn't play complimentary or smart situational football in any of the three phases of the game. When that happens it's more akin to a total system failure.

We agree. However, it was a few big plays, not an inability to move the ball that did us in.

Having wasted two very positive balanced drives and fallen behind 7-3, we suddenly were in the type of game Ryan wanted, his team running to test our depleted line and help Sanchez, daring us to run and installing his very good counter to the 45-3 walloping we put on them earlier.

In basketball, you'd chalk it up to not executing crucial plays, playing the other teams style as a result and go get em in game two. In football...no game two.

I disagree we needed to keep scoring against this team. A 10 or 14 point cushion negates their ball control and our need to force the passing game. With that lead, we do run and take our time, they would need to shake things up. I like our chances when they were the ones desperate for points with Sanchez throwing the rock up for grabs. We'd have the luxury of calling any play we want, like in our previous game. Oh well.........

Last edited:
Bill's job is to win consistently and assemble a roster that can compete consistently and then put them in position to win it all. He stubbed his toe last week, but in a season where he turned the roster over exponentially and lost a couple of key players out of the gate, I still wouldn't trade him for Rex Ryan and all the talent Dan Snyder has ever overpaid.

Amen..........................

Borges regular season year end report card with individual grades as well as unit grades is up and it provides some perspective for those gloom and doomers who believe one and done in the playoffs invalidates all else and equals they suck...

End of Season Patriots Report Card - BostonHerald.com

This was for all intents and purposes a bridge year and they managed to cross the bridge at 14-2. A little bit of smoke and mirrors was involved thanks to TFB and some pretty unanticipated wheelin and dealin on his side of the ball. Time to finish off the rebuild on D so we don't have to rely as heavily on offense. But also time to tweek the offense up to insure it's consistently there when we need it.

Still wouldn't trade the whole enchilada for any of the other 31 options. And truth be told (or agenda aside if he ever could just let it go completely) I don't think Wrong would either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News