PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Brady Suffers Knee Sprain, MRI Negative

7 games worse than the year before. 18-1 to 11-5.

The Colts were 8 games worse without Manning. The difference being the 2010 Colts were a 10 win team with Peyton and that much closer to rock bottom than the nearly perfect 2007 Patriots.

Ya you're right. I was just given Cassel the benefit of the doubt of comparing just the regular seasons.

That is why when it is all said and done people realize how close this team was (just so far) to 7 rings. Sure they could have had zero but it wouldnt have taken much to make it 7. Obviously 2008 was the most hypothetical but with Brady that team would have been lethal.

Ya I posted something about that in another read the other day.

Literally 4 plays away from having 7 SB

'06- Caldwell drop
'07- Defense makes one play. (Samuel missed INT, in the grasp, Harrison breaks up the pass)
'08- Sammy Morris makes a better block
'11- Welker drop

Ya I posted something about that in another read the other day.

Literally 4 plays away from having 7 SB

'06- Caldwell drop
'07- Defense makes one play. (Samuel missed INT, in the grasp, Harrison breaks up the pass)
'08- Sammy Morris makes a better block.
'11- Welker drop

It really is sickening. Imagine how hated we would have been though. The pats would have taken the field in away games and people would have thrown things. I am still mad about the 06 game. The SBs were battles...You dont go up 21 to 3 and lose.

Its its Mannings only SB. He might have never gotten one if we did not blow that game.

It really is sickening. Imagine how hated we would have been though. The pats would have taken the field in away games and people would have thrown things.

I could have lived with that, Bruins29!

They just have to get him that 4th ring so the GOAT thing is put to bed. We dont have to hear Montana that and Bradshaw this crap.

Mortgage the future, trade those picks, just get it done. I dont care if we go 500 for 5 years if we can get TB #4. Its like the Sox in 2004.

Who?

10 char

There would be no one else.

No one is going to immediately step into this kind of complicated offensive scheme and produce well right off the bat.

It would be Ryan Mallett--for better or worse, and/or maybe Mallett for the most part with some Tebow packages thrown in.

Anyone who thinks that there's someone sitting at home or on another team right now (aside from maybe trading for Brian Hoyer--which would be the only argument anyone could really make) and they'd step in, pick up our playbook, and lead the troops to victory in some astonishing fashion isn't thinking this through in my opinion.

They just have to get him that 4th ring so the GOAT thing is put to bed. We dont have to hear Montana that and Bradshaw this crap.

Mortgage the future, trade those picks, just get it done. I dont care if we go 500 for 5 years if we can get TB #4. Its like the Sox in 2004.

I hear your argument, but personally I disagree with it myself (not that it matters what my opinion is).

I think that anytime Belichick and Kraft are involved, there's always going to be an eye on the future; both in terms of salary cap implications and player development.

They tend to want to remain competitive as possible every single season, which realistically gives them a better shot statistically in every year. Just making the final 6 teams in your conference on an every year basis gives you pretty good odds that sooner or later, you'll be able to kick the door down.

Unfortunately for us, those last 2 SB's were the result of some very bad luck---or we wouldn't be foaming at the mouth so badly or even having this conversation. I don't think they'll ever risk an "all or nothing" philosophy in the current flat cap era, aside from maybe taking some extra minor risks in the last of Brady's projected years. Even then, I don't think it'll be anything too dramatic though.

It was more hyperbole. I dont mean literally just do whatever it takes because 1. there is a cap and 2. a bunch of talent means nothing. Cohesion is what wins. and clutch plays.

But it will be disappointing if TB ends of retiring with only 3

It was more hyperbole. I dont mean literally just do whatever it takes because 1. there is a cap and 2. a bunch of talent means nothing. Cohesion is what wins. and clutch plays.

But it will be disappointing if TB ends of retiring with only 3

I certainly agree. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned if they'd have gotten at least one out of two vs the NYG in the 07 and 11 seasons.

The Patriots are in the same place almost every other team with an upper level QB is: if the QB goes down, fact, they all have offensive outlooks that instantly become worrisome. If the Mannings, Flacco, Rogers, Kaeparnick (sp?) or a bunch of others get hurt (no disrespect intended to those I didn't list), their respective offenses are now a big ???. It's just how it is and their is little that can be done about that reality. Any QB that is likely/ready to step in to effectively operate an NFL offense is not a backup to begin with (or is for only 1 season).

Two strategies: First, you can keep a veteran who will cost more (remember that cost when when it comes time to resign an important LB or OL or CB or WR), has a a track record that provides better odds that he will deliver some decent numbers, but who is more likely to have a limited ceiling. Second, you go with a young inexperienced backup who probably costs less, has little track record/a much bigger uncertainty as to whether they will deliver decent numbers, but who has a ceiling that can be low or very high (Cassell for instance).

Mallett was a good college QB who has two years of learning from TFB, from BB and staff, from pro level practices and preseason and the few snaps he has received in games. So if TFB is going to miss some games, Mallett is and absolutely should be plan A, period (IMHO). TFB missing games is one of the very reasons Mallett has been on the team learning and it is time to see what he can do with what he has learned.

The Patriots have one of their best running back groups in some years. The Patriots have a very solid OL. And Mallett just needs to come in and keep focused on A) not turning the ball over and B) play within his own abilities C) have a short memory on any mistakes he makes D) move the chains. Ultimately, if the seriously unfortunate reality is TFB is out for a while, I choose to look it at that unchangeable fact as an interesting opportunity to watch and see what Mallett can do.

I'll say this...after watching intently, and focusing on McDaniels and the interplay with Tebow, I think a lot of Patriots fans are going to be shocked if Brady has to sit at any point. Shocked that Tebow may have already risen to QB 2b and quite possibly the preference for certain matchups.

Mallett hit 50% of his passes today . He looked OK but there's this unmistakable air of nervousness he exudes when the bullets are flying.

Tebow IS a vet of not only a regular season, but two playoff games. Today, when he misfired on a pass, it just rolled off his back. He exudes confidence. I think he may be settling in a bit at last. A few days ago, he missed Sudfield down the seam by a good foot. Nice pass, nice step and follow through, timing off a bit..incomplete. I posted that here and felt he was least shaky in this area of his passing repertoire. Today he hit Edelman on that same route. He also hit Sudfield I think it was ,between the hashes in stride. He stepped into his throws and the ball was on target with pace.

All these Tebowites who post here have this idea of what kind of passer Tebow is. They think he's no good in the pocket and forcing him to throw from there is wrong. They think he is best on the move. They think he is most accurate rolling out. Well,I've been to LIVE practices and I've watched a few hundred of his reps. It's the exact opposite of what these fans think. It is OBVIOUS that McD has been working on Tebow's mechanics IN the pocket, as well as his roll outs. Here's something to think about...today he rolled to the left a number of times.... about half of those "window" passes fell incomplete BUT he completed a number of them tip down and to the sideline shoulder because he properly set his feet. THIS is progress from just last week when I saw all his reps.

To further illuminate, he threw screens to the right in tempo but I can't recall any pattern outside the right hash of any length he even attempted...could be wrong but it looked to me like they are focusing on proper pocket footwork, accuracy down the seams and outside shoulder throws to the left sideline. McDaniels has a plan. I could SEE IT today. Tebow not only has made this roster, I think they have a plan to ultimately have him as #2...and when you step back and look at it without all the hysteria that surrounds him. it makes perfect sense. He's faced the live bullets. They KNOW he won't choke. They know he won't get the deer in the headlights look. If the unthinkable DOES happen, who gives the Pats the best chance to win?

and just to be clear...I was vehement in my opposition to BB bringing him in. As usual, I was wrong once again when it comes to BB and his thought process. I'm fine with that. This next game should be a revealation for all of us I think.

I'll say this...after watching intently, and focusing on McDaniels and the interplay with Tebow, I think a lot of Patriots fans are going to be shocked if Brady has to sit at any point. Shocked that Tebow may have already risen to QB 2b and quite possibly the preference for certain matchups.

Mallett hit 50% of his passes today . He looked OK but there's this unmistakable air of nervousness he exudes when the bullets are flying.

Tebow IS a vet of not only a regular season, but two playoff games. Today, when he misfired on a pass, it just rolled off his back. He exudes confidence. I think he may be settling in a bit at last. A few days ago, he missed Sudfield down the seam by a good foot. Nice pass, nice step and follow through, timing off a bit..incomplete. I posted that here and felt he was least shaky in this area of his passing repertoire. Today he hit Edelman on that same route. He also hit Sudfield I think it was ,between the hashes in stride. He stepped into his throws and the ball was on target with pace.

All these Tebowites who post here have this idea of what kind of passer Tebow is. They think he's no good in the pocket and forcing him to throw from there is wrong. They think he is best on the move. They think he is most accurate rolling out. Well,I've been to LIVE practices and I've watched a few hundred of his reps. It's the exact opposite of what these fans think. It is OBVIOUS that McD has been working on Tebow's mechanics IN the pocket, as well as his roll outs. Here's something to think about...today he rolled to the left a number of times.... about half of those "window" passes fell incomplete BUT he completed a number of them tip down and to the sideline shoulder because he properly set his feet. THIS is progress from just last week when I saw all his reps.

To further illuminate, he threw screens to the right in tempo but I can't recall any pattern outside the right hash of any length he even attempted...could be wrong but it looked to me like they are focusing on proper pocket footwork, accuracy down the seams and outside shoulder throws to the left sideline. McDaniels has a plan. I could SEE IT today. Tebow not only has made this roster, I think they have a plan to ultimately have him as #2...and when you step back and look at it without all the hysteria that surrounds him. it makes perfect sense. He's faced the live bullets. They KNOW he won't choke. They know he won't get the deer in the headlights look. If the unthinkable DOES happen, who gives the Pats the best chance to win?

and just to be clear...I was vehement in my opposition to BB bringing him in. As usual, I was wrong once again when it comes to BB and his thought process. I'm fine with that. This next game should be a revealation for all of us I think.

If that's what you're seeing then it's what BB is seeing too. If Mallett looks less than poised while TT looks the part (so to speak), BB is definitely one to go with whatever he thinks is best and everything/everyone else be damned. But with 2 years under his belt/under BB, I figured Mallett had reached a point in ability that it's his job if TFB goes down. A bit disappointing to hear if he is struggling. That doesn't bode well for his future here or anywhere if he can't step in/gets passed over.

I'll tell you what, if TT is our opening day starting QB, everybody buckle up. From the pre game media to the actual game to the post game media, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Tebow's certainly the safe option given his experience, but Mallet is more intriguing because he has tremendous potential and ceiling as a qb.

Mallett obviously needs to polish his midrange game and the touch passes. With more playing time, hopefully he'll be more fluid with his execution. I like his pocket presence and his overall demeanor at playing the position---those are things we take for granted around here. What I like about Mallet is he doesn't think too much or try too hard to make the right play, it comes naturally. Most backups have that deer in the headlights look, but he doesn't. Obviously we look at all the incomplete passes and think the guy sucks, but at least he can see plays develop and make good reads.

If Tebow was the qb this year, he could probably rock a 8-8/9-7 record for the Pats and allow them to limp to a division title. With Mallett, I think its like stock market volatility...record wise it could be either 7-9 or 11-5

Was at practice yesterday as well, and while I seem some positive things with #5, he still looks very awkward in this offense and throws a lot of "ducks".. I do not see him as a viable replacement for #12...

These next few preseason games will be telling, but as of right now cannot share your optimism...

if anything. Yesterdays mishap will probably lead to the team carrying 3 qb's going into the season.

Patriots: Tom Brady plans to practice today and play Fri., according to ESPN; QB 'Basically got kicked', suffered bruise. :D

Was at practice yesterday as well, and while I seem some positive things with #5, he still looks very awkward in this offense and throws a lot of "ducks".. I do not see him as a viable replacement for #12...

These next few preseason games will be telling, but as of right now cannot share your optimism...

Nobody is a viable replacement for Brady.

Tebow is a viable backup that can hold the fort down and win a few games.

Mallett... looked OK but there's this unmistakable air of nervousness he exudes when the bullets are flying.

Tebow IS a vet of not only a regular season, but two playoff games. Today, when he misfired on a pass, it just rolled off his back. He exudes confidence.

This articulates very well what I saw Friday night. Mallet looked very much like he still hadn't caught up with the speed of the game. My thought was it's too bad he got hurt because one way to catch up with the speed is with game reps. But if he looks that way to you in practice ... yikes.

And when Tebow came in, there was a much more confident presence. For all the shortcomings he displayed throwing v the Eagles, feel for and confidence in the game was not one of them.

and just to be clear...I was vehement in my opposition to BB bringing him in. As usual, I was wrong once again when it comes to BB and his thought process. I'm fine with that. This next game should be a revelation for all of us I think.

Quite a statement. Looking forward to seeing how Tebow carries his development over to the game field.

This articulates very well what I saw Friday night. Mallet looked very much like he still hadn't caught up with the speed of the game. My thought was it's too bad he got hurt because one way to catch up with the speed is with game reps. But if he looks that way to you in practice ... yikes.

And when Tebow came in, there was a much more confident presence. For all the shortcomings he displayed throwing v the Eagles, feel for and confidence in the game was not one of them.

Quite a statement. Looking forward to seeing how Tebow carries his development over to the game field.

I'm sorry, I don't have anything against Tebow as a player, but as a QB the guy just, how shall I put it... - sucks! for a lack of better word... :bricks:

I was there on Tuesday, and Tebow couldn't complete a pass if his life were dependent on it. I really REALLY hope, they're working on some utility role for him, or else, he's nothing more than a waste of a roster spot.

For his QB playing skills (or lack thereof), they might as well cut him, and use Edelman as an emergency 3rd stringer.

JMO.

I'll say this...after watching intently, and focusing on McDaniels and the interplay with Tebow, I think a lot of Patriots fans are going to be shocked if Brady has to sit at any point. Shocked that Tebow may have already risen to QB 2b and quite possibly the preference for certain match-ups.

Dude. Great write-up. I love that you attended TC and are able to give first hand commentary including nuanced interplay between coaches and players.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back