PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Heath Evans visiting Saints today

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside:

NE currently has 5 TEs on roster, Watson, Thomas, Baker, and Listorti are all capable of H-back roles, which include acting as a FB when needed. Listorti was the #13 FB for NFL Draft Scout in the 2008 draft, though he played TE for UMass. Hochstein is not the only option at FB it would seem.

OK, so can someone like Watson actually line up at half-back and take a carry? Would they have to declare this to refs? Sorry if this is something obvious. It's VERY early.

I like Heath. I liked him college, and I was happy when he became a Pats. I also would like to see the second coming of Sam Gash this year, but it's just not in the cards. We just don't use FB like other teams. For that matter, we don't use fb much at all.lol. That, and the fact that Russ was going in on obvious rushing plays, and i wonder if BB just figures we're better off moving on from Heath.

OK, so can someone like Watson actually line up at half-back and take a carry? Would they have to declare this to refs? Sorry if this is something obvious. It's VERY early.

H-back ain't the same as Half-Back. You won't see an H-back taking carries.

H-back helps out in pass protection, blocks, runs routes. Like Chris Cooley. It's a hybrid of TE and FB.

Last edited:
I like Heath. I liked him college, and I was happy when he became a Pats. I also would like to see the second coming of Sam Gash this year, but it's just not in the cards. We just don't use FB like other teams. For that matter, we don't use fb much at all.lol. That, and the fact that Russ was going in on obvious rushing plays, and i wonder if BB just figures we're better off moving on from Heath.

Are you saying the in games where team are blitzing alot you did not see heath in a pure blocking role as i did.He did alot of blocking snaps as the QB last blitz pickup player.against aggresive teams him and faulk carried the blocking load .

russ is not fast enough to get beyond the LOS before the RB reachs him ,unless you want 2 yd gain with the RB running into ROSS at the LOS.

Last edited:

The rule is that if you wear a number that would make you an ineligible receiver (e.g., linebackers, OL), you must declare yourself on each play. Since Watson is already wearing a number acceptable for a receiver, he doesn't need to declare.

Saints agreed to terms with FB Heath Evans.
Mike Karney will be released, which means that Evans will move right into the starting lineup. The Saints have been looking for a short-yardage power back, so Evans could be a top goal-line vulture in 2009. He has experience in that role with the Patriots.

yepyep it was obvious he wasn't going back to NE or he would have been resigned long time ago

I think maybe we're done having a traditional FB on the roster.

Leonard Weaver from Seattle appears to be the best available fullback.

After that, there is John Kuhn, Terrelle Smith, Dan Kreider, Naufahu Tahi, Cecil Sapp, Justin Griffith and Lorenzo Neal. Mike Karney is expected to be cut by the Saints in case anyone is interested there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back