PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss 8/28 notes: No Brady, Maroney, Light, Warren -- Thomas, Mays, Andrews in red

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

August 28, 2006
Practice notes

A few notes from practice:

* Quarterback Tom Brady wasn't present at practice, and was likely given the day off. Others not present included: receiver Chad Jackson, safety Guss Scott, safety Tebucky Jones, running back/fullback Patrick Pass, running back Laurence Maroney, safety Ray Ventrone, inside linebacker Freddie Roach, inside linebacker Tedy Bruschi, offensive tackle Matt Light, offensive tackle Nick Kaczur, defensive lineman Dan Klecko, defensive lineman Ty Warren and outside linebacker Chad Brown.

* Defensive lineman Marquise Hill was back on the practice field for the first time since the opening weekend of training camp, when he had he suffered an ankle injury.

* Defensive back/receiver Willie Andrews, tight end David Thomas and inside linebacker Corey Mays wore red, non-contact jerseys.

* Running back Corey Dillon, who left Saturday's game after being poked in the right eye, was back at practice. In the locker room beforehand, he joked that he had 50-50 vision.

* Safety Rodney Harrison practiced again, a sign that his knee responded well after Saturday night.

* The workout was held in shorts, shoulder pads, and helmets, with the media present for a portion of special teams work, individual drills and stretching.

We'll plan on filing one more update later in the day to wrap things up from Gillette Stadium.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 01:23:21 PM

Last edited:
Re: Reiss 8/28 notes: No Brady, Maroney -- Thomas, Mays, Andrews in red

pats1 said:

I'm starting to question whether or not we truly drafted this so called Chad Jackson. Does he even exist? Does he really play football? I dont know! It's driving me maaaad. That kid better get his ass on the field, cuz this is getting ******* ridiculous. What, is it going to hurt his hammy to atleast hang out with the team?

Last edited by a moderator:

50/50 vision... that Corey Dillon, what a jokester!

I see alot of guys got the day off. Thomas didn't play in the game, but at least he practiced today.

Wish Jackson would get out there. He needs reps in this last preseason game. But holyredeemer, the fact that he isn't out there doesn't mean he isn't lifting with the team (at least upper body) and attending meetings. It simply means he is probably undergoing rehab during the scheduled practice hours. It's better that he takes his time to rest his hamstring, as I assume he must've tweaked it pretty good to be sitting out this long, and those injuries often linger if they aren't fully healed.

Last edited:

Add me now to the seriously concerned Chad Jackson list.

Interesting that that stump Hill is finally taking the field. Were it not for his impressive size, this prospect in development would have been gone.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Maroney.

He got stuffed on a running play and never came back in. I never saw the play as I was listening to the radio broadcast, but they made no mention of Maroney looking shaken up.

But he missed the rest of the half, and never came back in in the second half.

Gil and Gino said they checked on him and the Pats said they just wanted to practice the 2 minute offense and that Maroney was fine.

Something is up!

Look at the bright side; at least he's not riding the bike on the sidelines in a discovery jersery:D These darn receivers and their hamstrings

Yeah,Maroney AND Thomas. I din't see the game, but Thomas didn't even play, and Maroney only played a half (only 4 carries), considering the 1st teamers played into the 3rd quarter, I'm very worried about Maroney. Did anyone on the sidelines notice him on the sidelines ?

I think Hill realizes that he'd better have one hell of a practice week and game Thursday to make the squad. It's good to see that something apparently motivates him.

Wow people are getting hostile about Jackson!!! Do ya'll really think a second round pick who appeared to be very excited about coming here is just sitting around doing nothing? That he is choosing not to practice, ala TO?? C'mon, the kid is hurt. It may not get better this year, we'll have to deal with it, but don't knock him for being hurt.

patsacolachick said:
Wow people are getting hostile about Jackson!!! Do ya'll really think a second round pick who appeared to be very excited about coming here is just sitting around doing nothing? That he is choosing not to practice, ala TO?? C'mon, the kid is hurt. It may not get better this year, we'll have to deal with it, but don't knock him for being hurt.

The Florida Gator WR curse continues........

panicbutton.gif

Haven't had to put this up for a while but it looks like some may need it.

Just click on it. It won't do anything but it may make you feel better. I wouldn't know becasue I haven't had to do it.

PATSNUTme said:

Haven't had to put this up for a while but it looks like some may need it.

Just click on it. It won't do anything but it may make you feel better.[/QUOTE]

I know I feel better now. That 41-0 win was small comfort compared to the soothing feeling of hitting the panic button.

I have been worried about LOMO since that game......Everyone said he was fine and now.........No practice...no sign of him...Great!

patsacolachick said:

Patsacola, you should've SEEN the Ben Watson threads on this board in 2004!

Where are THEY now????????????

CJ will be great.

Last edited:

They may be babying the injury since we might not have Branch playing for awhile.

Didn't TO get his hamstring hurt around the same exact time as Chad, and came back too early only to reaggravate it?

Last edited:

scott99 said:
The Florida Gator WR curse continues........

What Florida Gator WR curse? The fictitious one made up my the malcontent media?

1) There have been very few Gator WRs that got drafted to begin with.
2) There have been a couple of Gator WRs who have had success. That included Chris Collinsworth and Ike Hilliard.

Here is the list of Florida Gator WRs who have been drafted since 1980:
2006: Chad Jackson (2nd)
2003: Taylor Jacobs (2nd)
2002: Jabar Gaffney(2nd), Reche Caldwell(2nd)
2001: John Capel (7th)
2000: Travis Taylor (1st)
1999: Travis McGriff (3rd),
1998: Jaquez Green (2nd)
1997: Ike Hilliard (1st)
1996: Chris Doering (6th)
1995: Jack Jackson (5th)
1994: Willie Jackson (4th)
1991: Ernie Mills (3rd)
1990: Stacey Simmons (4th)
1989: Willie Snead (12th)
1987: Ricky Nattiel (1st)
1986: Ray McDonald (7th)
1985: Gary Rolle (11th)
1981: Cris Collinsworth (2nd)

Collinsworth had 4 1000 yard seasons and probably would have had 2 more had injury not cut his seasons short in 1982 and 1984.

Nattiel could be considered a bust since he never got more than 670 yards.

Ernie Mills was a solid 3rd/4th, but nothing spectacular.

Willie Jackson had a decent career.

Ike Hilliard has had a very solid career.

Jaquez Green was a definite bust.

The jury is still out on guys like Travis Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, Caldwell, and Gaffney.

Not sure I can consider anyone taken beyond the 6th round to be a bust since they are a long shot anyways.

I think you forgot Reidel Anthony. And I don't think the jury is still out on Jacobs and Gaffney.

Anyway, I think it's been established that it's not a UF curse. It just shows that Spurrier wide receivers, along with Jeff Tedford (Oregon and Cal) and Texas Tech quarterbacks, and Wisconsin and Nebraska tailbacks, can excel in their offensive system but not have skills translate-able to the NFL.

dryheat44 said:
I think you forgot Reidel Anthony. And I don't think the jury is still out on Jacobs and Gaffney.

Anyway, I think it's been established that it's not a UF curse. It just shows that Spurrier wide receivers, along with Jeff Tedford (Oregon and Cal) and Texas Tech quarterbacks, and Wisconsin and Nebraska tailbacks, can excel in their offensive system but not have skills translate-able to the NFL.

I didn miss Anthony. Thanks for the correction.

And, besides, Jackson never had Spurrier as a coach. Spurrier left before Jackson got there, didn't he?

If it is true that it's Spurrier's WR that are cursed, then we need to avoid Sidney Rice WR for South Carolina in the 2007 draft. This guy is already being hailed as 1st round talent.

He could either break the curse or continue it, but we should know by half way through the first round, who the unfortunate team is that gets to gamble with the Spurrier dice.

Its funny how CJ said he modelled himself after TO. But on a serious note, it seems like every reciever this year has a hamstring problem:

steve smith
TO
Hines ward

So were not alone. but CJ was my favorite pick this year so i really want to see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News