Reiss: 2008 defensive participation stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've highlighted the young players.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/01/final_defensive.html

ILB Jerod Mayo -- 857 of 950 snaps (90 percent)
CB Ellis Hobbs -- 849 of 950 (89 percent)
OLB Mike Vrabel -- 825 of 950 (87 percent)
S Brandon Meriweather -- 811 of 950 (85 percent)
S James Sanders -- 758 of 950 (80 percent)
DE Richard Seymour -- 652 of 950 (69 percent)
CB Deltha O'Neal -- 636 of 950 (67 percent)
NT Vince Wilfork -- 597 of 950 (63 percent)
OLB Adalius Thomas -- 466 of 950 (49 percent)
DE Ty Warren -- 448 of 950 (47 percent)
DE Jarvis Green -- 439 of 950 (46 percent)
DE Mike Wright -- 413 of 950 (43 percent)
ILB Tedy Bruschi -- 399 of 950 (42 percent)
CB Jonathan Wilhite -- 344 of 950 (36 percent)
S Rodney Harrison -- 305 of 950 (32 percent)
ILB Gary Guyton -- 300 of 950 (32 percent)
CB/S Lewis Sanders -- 284 of 950 (30 percent)
OLB Pierre Woods -- 247 of 950 (26 percent)
ILB Junior Seau -- 178 of 950 (19 percent)
DE Le Kevin Smith -- 167 of 950 (18 percent)
OLB Rosevelt Colvin -- 161 of 950 (17 percent)
CB Mike Richardson -- 112 of 950 (12 percent)
CB Terrence Wheatley -- 74 of 950 (8 percent)
CB Jason Webster -- 36 of 950 (4 percent)
OLB Vince Redd -- 35 of 950 (4 percent)
S Antwain Spann -- 19 of 950 (2 percent)
S Matthew Slater -- 17 of 950 (2 percent)
S Randy Moss -- 1 of 950 (.001 percent, Hail Mary play)

Two things that stand out:
(1) 90% of D snaps as a rookie for Mayo. :eek:
(2) From the moment Rodney went down in week 7, Meriweather did not take a single snap off. :youtheman:

Last edited:
I would also consider guys like Smith, Woods, Wright, Hobbs, J. Sanders, Spann etc. - and obviously Slater - to be young.

Fair enough, but I'm talking about first two seasons.

It's interesting that Big Sey, oft dissed for being injured, etc. (yes, I too have opined that) still took more snaps than any other DL starter. Yes, both Wilfy (50 less) out anyway on passing downs and Warren (200 less) had injuries too.

The emergence of Mayo combined with the development of Meriweather, Wilhite, Wright and Guyton are why I don't think the Pats will draft heavily on defense this year. Bringing in tons of more young bodies will not improve this defense in 2009. I do see one big defensive draft pick coming on, but I think the time is ripe to invest in the offense, particularly the offensive line.

This defense can be fixed pretty easily with a Sean Jones and/or a Terell Suggs.

The emergence of Mayo combined with the development of Meriweather, Wilhite, Wright and Guyton are why I don't think the Pats will draft heavily on defense this year. Bringing in tons of more young bodies will not improve this defense in 2009. I do see one big defensive draft pick coming on, but I think the time is ripe to invest in the offense, particularly the offensive line.

This defense can be fixed pretty easily with a Sean Jones and/or a Terell Suggs.

I think BB would draft an OT high if a quality prospect were availabe and maybe an OG considering that they might not be able to afford Mankins' next contract. However, were a hard hiting SS avilable or a premier pass rusher available, they'll be taken 1st. We get 5 picks of the best 100 players, assuming a comp pick for Samuels. Were we to get another 2nd we'd have 6, in which case I see BB moving up and around to get precisely the young boys he wants, wants in a football sense that is.

Last edited:
say

i think i recall mike richardson doing pretty good at cb this yr...what happened after?

say

i think i recall mike richardson doing pretty good at cb this yr...what happened after?
He seems to be doing well, but Wilhite and Wheatley seem to have been groomed ahead of him, we'll see where things stand after Training Camp... I do recall that Richardson had stud change of direction numbers from his Pro-Day, I'm surprised he didn't play Nickel more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe