PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reggie Wayne contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Nelson's injury pushed his price up, considering that the Packers had previously expressed interest in him.

Also curious to see the how much of that "up to $3M" is incentives. If it's mostly incentives, then that makes a lot of sense to me. Rewards the guy if he comes in and plays like a starter, but limits the downside.

It is probably something like they did with Mayo and Wilfork, bonuses for every week being active. That keeps the total vested vet guarantees down while giving Wayne solid earnings if he stays healthy all year.

You have Lewis, Cadet, and White all making the roster together? Is there room for all three?

I said 3rd down back not 3rd down backs. The 3 choices were listed in brackets. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Think of this. Wayne has played with 3 QBs in his career now (including Brady) and Luck is the worst one.

That must be rare to play with 3 QBs of that level.

Don't forget the punter Curtis Painter.

Safe to say without injury, or complete incompetence in the playbook, Reggie is here for the season. Great depth and tutor for young players. Still believe he has some juice left and can be productive for what we need.

BB has now paid four veteran WRs sizeable contracts with guarentees. Says something about how he views Dobson IMO.

Or maybe it is because only one of the prior guys with guarantees is healthy right now and the young bucks have been dropping like flies? Why does everything have to be about Dobson?

Or maybe it is because only one of the prior guys with guarantees is healthy right now and the young bucks have been dropping like flies? Why does everything have to be about Dobson?

People have high hopes for him, but he looks like an inactive WR5 right now. I don't think BB would have paid four vets if he had high hopes for Dobson.

@RapSheet: The #Patriots 1-year deal for WR Reggie Wayne is worth up to nearly $3M, including incentives. Almost $500K up front, source said.

BB must think he's back to his prior form. In Bill we trust.

If that's the case:

Lafell
Wayne
Edelman (slot)
Gronk

Best passing offense in a long time

Hope BB left enough in the piggy bank for Evan Mathis.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 21m21 minutes ago
Just wrapped up 6-plus minutes with Wayne. Bit of a chip on his shoulder, but in nicest possible way. Interested in proving doubters wrong.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 18m18 minutes ago
Reggie Wayne on if he has a message for Colts fans: "No time for that right now."

Mark Daniels ‏@MarkDanielsPJ 22m22 minutes ago
Wayne said he never thought about retiring. Said he's been training since May.

Mark Daniels ‏@MarkDanielsPJ 24m24 minutes ago
Wayne asked how much he has left: the only thing I can do is let my work speak for itself.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 27m27 minutes ago
Wayne on no. 87: (Gronk) can have it.

Mark Daniels ‏@MarkDanielsPJ 30m30 minutes ago
Wayne: "I felt like this was the best place. I'm excited... I'm sitting at my locker cramming."

People have high hopes for him, but he looks like an inactive WR5 right now. I don't think BB would have paid four vets if he had high hopes for Dobson.

What is this "paid four vets" stuff, though? Amendola was paid before Dobson was even drafted, Edelman was given a dirt cheap, no brainer contract and Wayne is an emergency option due to injury issues. The only guy who comes close to being a statement about Dobson is LaFell, and he turned out to be a bargain as well. Plus, he was signed when there was uncertainty about Dobson's availability for 2014.

The argument you are making doesn't hold up under close scrutiny.

Think of this. Wayne has played with 3 QBs in his career now (including Brady) and Luck is the worst one.

That must be rare to play with 3 QBs of that level.
...and with the immortal Curtis Painter and Dan Orslovsky still caught 75 balls for almost 1000 yards in 2011

Amazing how people react so fast over the least bit of information. First we get that the contract is "
up to $3MM" Later we learn that its up to $2.8MM "including incentives", so we make all kinds of assumptions of based on those bare bones possibilities.

So far all we know is that the Pats have committed about a half million to Wayne in a signing bonus. That is not enough money to guarantee him a roster spot if he isn't what we all hope his is going to be. The Pats have eaten a lot more than that to cut a player they didn't think would help.

What we don't know is how much of the contract incentives are Likely to be made and how much are not likely to be made. We also don't even know what the salary is beyond the signing bonus.

In the end, IF Wayne plays well enough to earn all his incentives, the Pats will have gotten a very productive WR at a very moderate price ($2.8MM), with no commitment for 2016. If for some reason (injury or ability) he isn't all he'll cost as far as we know is a reasonably low signing bonus..

In every way this smacks of a wise signing in typical Patriots moderate style.

What is this "paid four vets" stuff, though? Amendola was paid before Dobson was even drafted, Edelman was given a dirt cheap, no brainer contract and Wayne is an emergency option due to injury issues. The only guy who comes close to being a statement about Dobson is LaFell, and he turned out to be a bargain as well. Plus, he was signed when there was uncertainty about Dobson's availability for 2014.

The argument you are making doesn't hold up under close scrutiny.

Agree to disagree.

BB has now paid four veteran WRs sizeable contracts with guarentees. Says something about how he views Dobson IMO.

Colts paid the same money for 1 receiver.

How much is incentives? Most of it?

How much is incentives? Most of it?

Don't know the exact numbers but according to Miguel his minimum cap hit will be half the max value of the contract at 1.42 million:

@patscap
Thanks to @JosinaAnderson 's report we know that Wayne's max cap=2.8m. Minimum cap =1.42m (970K salary+450K signing bonus).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft