PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

refs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsFan4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
While I'm not going to pin the Bills loss on the refs, because frankly, thats dumb, did anyone else think the refs were downright horrible today? I saw 2 roughing the kicker (punter) not called, a pass interfierence not called, calling whtiner for stepping OOB was just stupid, holding wasn't being called at all, and the refs messed up on at least 5 first down ball spotting issues. Did anyone else notice how bad they were?

THe Refs have lovingly screwed every team in the NFL. It really is a league wide problem.

They weren't their best by any stretch. It is their first game too. They will get better as the year goes on (if not, they will not be reffing come January).

Your first score was a FLAGRANT facemask. I'd keep my critique of the refs quiet if I were you.

BillsFan4Life said:
While I'm not going to pin the Bills loss on the refs, because frankly, thats dumb, did anyone else think the refs were downright horrible today? I saw 2 roughing the kicker (punter) not called, a pass interfierence not called, calling whtiner for stepping OOB was just stupid, holding wasn't being called at all, and the refs messed up on at least 5 first down ball spotting issues. Did anyone else notice how bad they were?

The biggest thing I saw was the amount of holding that seemed to be going
on by both teams and no calls.

We've had a less than charitable attitude toward the officials since last post-season, and that doesn't even count the highly unorthodox officiating in the thin air of Denver. I remember writing about a horrid non-call in the Jacksonville game where Leftwhich got creamed. Frankly, this is not going to be a good year for fans when it comes to the officiating.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Thats a picture of Losman being sacked for a safety.
Click on previous.

BillsFan4Life said:
Point taken. So you further emphisize my point that the refs were bad.

I would agree with that. That being said, obviously it's a heckuva lot easier for us judging still photos than it is for them in a bang-bang situation.

My only point is that only one of the several bad calls (or non-calls) that took place today resulted in 7 points being put on the board.

The Whitner out of bounds call was ridiculous, but it had no relevant effect since the hands to the back flag put the ball at the same place anyhow.

BillsFan4Life said:
Point taken. So you further emphisize my point that the refs were bad.

They were bad. All around. Bad.

BillsFan4Life said:
calling whtiner for stepping OOB was just stupid
That was a horrible whistle, but you do realize it had absolutely no effect on the play right? The flag was flying just about simultaneously with the whistle.

jaychamp said:
That was a horrible whistle, but you do realize it had absolutely no effect on the play right? The flag was flying just about simultaneously with the whistle.
I realize it, I'm just pointing out how stupid the whistle was. These guys are suppose to be pros at this, but miss something that obvious?

jaychamp said:

I beileve the reason the whistle was blown was because the illegal play (block in the back) was a spot foul. Therefor the rest of the play didn't matter because no matter how far Whitner ran it was coming back to the spot of the foul and moving back ten yards from there. Why risk injury to players if the result of the play is already final? It's not like you can review the foul.

Tha ball spotting thing has long been an issue with me for a game that often comes down to 6 inches here or six inches there, they seem to be very willy nilly with the ball placement. And they never seem to call holding unless its on a long pass play. There were some ticky tack calls but those are par for the course.

Stopping the whitner play could have helped Buffalo. As soon as the
flag went down. Buffalo was not going to get the ball any closer to
the goal line. However, Whitner could have fumbled. Which could have
given the ball back to Pats. Not a likely scenario. But, it does happen
from time to time.

BillsFan4Life said:

The New York Giants should be fuming this morning after the refs handed the Indianapolis Whining Society a gift win last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft