PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RedSkins pay EPIC Bounty for #2 Pick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's two no 1's, not a kings ransom. Think Solder/McCourty v Tom Brady for the next twelve years. I know which way I'd go. Franchise QB trumps almost anything in this NFl.

Typical Dan Snyder over-reactionary over-payment.
Instead of waiting for Matt Flynn & PayaTon to sign elsewhere, thus reducing the number of QB-needy teams for the Lambs to swindle, little Danny prematurely ejaculates an offer which cannot be refused by any sane GM. The Deadskins have now guaranteed the Jints as many PO appearances as needed to beat us yet again in the SB - if we ever get there again.

Three firsts and a second in Patriots currency equals 14 second rounders, 8 third rounders, 4 thirds, 7 forths, 8 fifths, 2 sixths and 21 sevenths spread out over 8 years.

Before the Trade:
Rams #2 pick
Redskins #6 pick

After
Redskins #2 pick
Rams #6 - 2012 2nd, 2013 1st, 2014 1st round pick

2 first round and 1 second round picks to move up from #6 to #2 in the draft. BB call the Redskins and start making deals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the LA Rams just did to the RedSkins wouldn't even be LEGAL in 37 States!!

Just Sayin'!! :eek:

It is the Hershel Walker trade all over. For you young pups...Dallas/Jimmy Jones traded Hershel to the Vikings for a ton of picks. JJ cashiered those picks into a bunch of Super Bowls while the Vikings languished in purgatory with am empty draft cupboard for years. They never really recovered from the Walker trade.

Synder is one of the most reprehensible football person of this era.

Last edited:
It is the Hershel Walker trade all over. For you young pups...Dallas/Jimmy Jones traded Hershel to the Vikings for a ton of picks. JJ cashiered those picks into a bunch of Super Bowls while the Vikings languished in purgatory with am empty draft cupboard for years. They never really recovered from the Walker trade.

Synder is one of the most reprehensible football person of this era.

Completely different era. The Hershel Walker trade took place when the NFL still had Plan B free agency and teams could protect 37 players on its roster.
There also was no salary cap until 1994.
These factors made it very difficult to improve at team outside of the draft; as teams could protect most of its players and resign them to any contracts they wanted.

Now, with free agency, cap casualties, and Snyder's willingness to guarantee/front load contracts and pay big roster bonuses, Washington should be able to improve.

I think this will be closer to a Eli for Philip Rivers, a 3rd, a 5th and another 1st as it could be the Hershel Walker deal. Frankly, I like this a whole lot better than the Carson Palmer deal.

It is also worth remembering that the new NFL rookie structure makes drafting high end QB's very desirable. Last year, Cam Newton signed a four year contract worth 22 million, fully guaranteed. There is a non-guaranteed fifth year worth 14 million, which makes it 5 year 36 million dollar contract. That is pretty low end money for a good QB. It frees up a top of cap room for other positions.

Compare that to:
Sam Bradford's 6 year 78 million dollar contract with 50 million guaranteed.
Matthew Stafford's deal was worth 72 million, with 42 million guaranteed.
Kevin Kolb's deal was five year, 63 million with 21 million guaranteed.
If Matt Hasselbeck stas on the roster this year, his deal will be between 2 years for 14 million dollars and 3 years for 21 million dollars.
Ryan Fitzpatrick just signed for 6 years and 59 million with 24 million guaranteed.
Heck even Tavaris Jackson signed a 2 year 8 million dollar deal.

While certainly Washington overpaid a good deal, I do not see all doom in gloom there. I see RGIII as electric in Shanny's bootleg QB system. They will overpay for a FA WR (Vincent Jackson), and they have a decent running game.

I don't get why you guys are so shocked :confused:

Half of you ahve been projecting the Redskins to move up to #2 or see the Browns take RG3 ahead of the Redskins anyway...and the Rams made it no secret at all they wanted three first rounders for the trade up regardless.

It's only four spots, but that team has a very good core and cap room to play with in free agency...they can get their needs from proven talent with the money they have to spend. Not only that, but even if it is only four spots, with the rookie wage scale a #2 pick is like gold nowadays!!!

On top of that, I think you're getting a #1 overall caliber pick with this dude. I'd rather be RG3 than Luck. Luck has had the system in place at Stanford and a great foundation...what does he have at the Colts? Irsay has been a tool.

Last edited:

Half of you ahve been projecting the Redskins to move up to #2 or see the Browns take RG3 ahead of the Redskins anyway...and the Rams made it no secret at all they wanted three first rounders for the trade up regardless.

It's only four spots, but that team has a very good core and cap room to play with in free agency...they can get their needs from proven talent with the money they have to spend. Not only that, but even if it is only four spots, with the rookie wage scale a #2 pick is like gold nowadays!!!

On top of that, I think you're getting a #1 overall caliber pick with this dude. I'd rather be RG3 than Luck. Luck has had the system in place at Stanford and a great foundation...what does he have at the Colts? Irsay has been a tool.

I agree with everything but the bolded. As a Stanford alum, I follow them pretty closely. I can assure you that in the past decade, it was Luck (primarily) and Harbaugh (secondary) that turned Stanford around. Stanford has been terrible before Luck.
Coaches: Record
Buddy Teevens (Pacific-10 Conference) (2002–2004)
2002 Teevens 2–9 1–7 T-9th
2003 Teevens 4–7 2–6 T-8th
2004 Teevens 4–7 2–6 T-8th
Teevens: 10–23 5–19
Walt Harris (Pacific-10 Conference) (2005–2006)
2005 Harris 5–6 4–4 T-4th
2006 Harris 1–11 1–8 10th
Harris: 6–17 5–12
Jim Harbaugh (Pacific-10 Conference) (2007–2010)
2007 Harbaugh 4–8 3–6 T-7th
2008 Harbaugh 5–7 4–5 T-6th
2009 Harbaugh 8–5 6–3 T-2nd L 27–31 Sun
2010 Harbaugh 12–1 8–1 2nd W 40–12 Orange† 4 4
Harbaugh: 29–21 21–15
David Shaw (Pacific-12 Conference) (2011–present)
2011 Shaw 11–2 8–1 T-1st (North) L 38–41 OT Fiesta† 7 7

See the trend there. 3 years with Luck 31-8. Without Luck 25- 55

Completely different era. The Hershel Walker trade took place when the NFL still had Plan B free agency and teams could protect 37 players on its roster.
There also was no salary cap until 1994.
These factors made it very difficult to improve at team outside of the draft; as teams could protect most of its players and resign them to any contracts they wanted.

Now, with free agency, cap casualties, and Snyder's willingness to guarantee/front load contracts and pay big roster bonuses, Washington should be able to improve.

I think this will be closer to a Eli for Philip Rivers, a 3rd, a 5th and another 1st as it could be the Hershel Walker deal. Frankly, I like this a whole lot better than the Carson Palmer deal.

You have a good point and I was going to say as much but it is still a bad deal. Back in those days the only way to substantially improve your team was through the draft which meant that the Vikings were screwed for many years while the Cowboys soared. Now the Redskins could conceivably make up for their dearth of future picks through FA but Synder has a very poor track record here and no matter how good you QB is you still need a supporting cast.

This will go down as one of the dumbest trades ever made.

It is one thing for an owner to make bad personnel decision but it is another to keep doing it year after year and then sue his critics. Bob Kraft experimented with this during the Pete Carrol era and failed but he had the smarts to turn over the decisions to a pro. Synder just does not get it and sues his detractors.

I agree with everything but the bolded. As a Stanford alum, I follow them pretty closely. I can assure you that in the past decade, it was Luck (primarily) and Harbaugh (secondary) that turned Stanford around. Stanford has been terrible before Luck.
Coaches: Record
Buddy Teevens (Pacific-10 Conference) (2002–2004)
2002 Teevens 2–9 1–7 T-9th
2003 Teevens 4–7 2–6 T-8th
2004 Teevens 4–7 2–6 T-8th
Teevens: 10–23 5–19
Walt Harris (Pacific-10 Conference) (2005–2006)
2005 Harris 5–6 4–4 T-4th
2006 Harris 1–11 1–8 10th
Harris: 6–17 5–12
Jim Harbaugh (Pacific-10 Conference) (2007–2010)
2007 Harbaugh 4–8 3–6 T-7th
2008 Harbaugh 5–7 4–5 T-6th
2009 Harbaugh 8–5 6–3 T-2nd L 27–31 Sun
2010 Harbaugh 12–1 8–1 2nd W 40–12 Orange† 4 4
Harbaugh: 29–21 21–15
David Shaw (Pacific-12 Conference) (2011–present)
2011 Shaw 11–2 8–1 T-1st (North) L 38–41 OT Fiesta† 7 7

See the trend there. 3 years with Luck 31-8. Without Luck 25- 55

I definitely see the trend and can't argue. I'm on the Luck bandwagon...I just think we could see better production from RG3 to start. Luck for me will most likely have the more productive career overall.

I definitely see the trend and can't argue. I'm on the Luck bandwagon...I just think we could see better production from RG3 to start. Luck for me will most likely have the more productive career overall.

I agree that Griffin could easily have better stats and even be a better player. He is a great prospect. I was merely stating that people forget how bad a situation Luck signed up for when he verbally committed to Stanford in June of 2007 ; they had just finished 2-11 and had a new coach.

Last edited:
Won't it be funny if the Colts told the Redskins that they intended to draft RGIII instead of Luck....maybe they could shake down the Redskins for a second or maybe the Redskins would take Luck...

Last edited:
If I were the Colts I would trade the 1st pick for a similar trade, draft Richardson in round 1, Fleener in the Second, Kellen Moore or Case Keenum in the 5th, draft o-line in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and sign VJAX or Colston in free agency. I think they would be a much better team if they do this than drafting Luck.

Kellen Moore was 50-3 in his career at Boise State.

FAIL.

Nobody expressed "shock". :bricks:

Amusement, perhaps...amazement, even...but hardly "shock." :rolleyes:

Snyder is a well-known idiot.

Indeed, I often Mock Trades with his team, for precisely that reason.

Feel free to try again. Less "Straw Man" next time, perhaps. ;)

If I were the Colts I would trade the 1st pick for a similar trade, draft Richardson in round 1, Fleener in the Second, Kellen Moore or Case Keenum in the 5th, draft o-line in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and sign VJAX or Colston in free agency. I think they would be a much better team if they do this than drafting Luck.

Good point. I agree and the Dolts must be kicking themselves for not working out a deal with Synder and instead letting the Rams do the robbery. Maybe they can find some other suckers and trade down. You can still get a franchise QB in the first half (or second half like WorthlessnessBurger) of the first round.

What point are you making?
I think Moore will be the biggest steal of the draft, he has the record for most DI FBS wins and the outstanding QB award got renamed after him. He will win at least 1 probably 2 Super Bowls if he goes to the right team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents