PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox to sign Marco Scutaro

The Intimidator

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic -- The Red Sox are on the verge of a making a deal for free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro, who apparently has satisfied Boston's concerns about his health after he worked out for the club Tuesday and the team examined his medical records.

"The deal isn't done yet," said one source with direct knowledge of the negotiations, though he acknowledged the sides are closing in on an agreement.

A Venezuelan newspaper website, liderendeportes.com, posted a story Thursday night saying the deal was done, citing sources close to the player.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com was first to report Scutaro worked out near his Miami home for Red Sox executive Allard Baird. It's believed the workout helped alleviate some concerns the Red Sox had over a heel injury that sidelined Scutaro for the final two weeks of the 2009 season. Sources involved in the negotiations confirmed comments made by Scutaro that the Red Sox had examined his medical records.

The 34-year-old Scutaro hit .282 with 12 homers and 60 RBIs for the Blue Jays last season. His .379 on-base percentage was third among shortstops in the American League. If the deal is finalized, he would be a prime candidate to be Boston's everyday shortstop next season.

ESPN.com

Hopefully it's for 2 years at the most ... Scutaro .... :yawn2::sleeping:

Last edited:
I'm ok with this. No step down from AGon and can jump to second or third base at any time. Should fill in fine until Inglesias is ready. Then again I was stoked when we got Lugo. :bricks:

whatever yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

More mediocre signings...
Wow can't wait for 2010.:rolleyes:

Perhaps we are used to this by now ... well we should be. I was hoping it would be Tug. :rolleyes:

sick Band Aid:)... he will do for 1 yr or 2:).......

not by any means a SS w/ great upside at 35:(

Yaaaaaawn.

In a way Scutaro is almost coming to a team where it's like he's replacing a great player. He's got a lot of baggage to overcome and none of it is his fault. Hopefully we are all wrong ... there was more than a few yawns when Belichick signed Welker also.

Oh cool. Looks like we're going the cheap route again. :rolleyes:

Scutaro is a solid player. He's a good defensive player, has good plate discipline, and is versatile. He's a much better player than Lugo, since he can man the position admirably, and he's an upgrade over Gonzo and his sub .300 OBP. I don't think enough people understand how much of a liability Gonzo was at the plate. He's an exceptional defensive player, but he's never had a season where his OPS+ was over 100. His offense with the Sox is actually his better than it's been with other teams, but it's still pretty brutal. I do like Gonzo's glove. Probably one of the best I've seen in the last 10 years for sure. I guess the question is, would you prefer Gonzo for $3 million and 1 year, or Scutaro for 2 years/$12.5 million, and your 1st round draft pick. The pick is tough to lose, even though they will add one with Bay if he leaves, and earned one already, with Wagner signing in Atlanta. Tough call. I guess te Sox figure they need the added offense at the SS position, to elongate the line up, since they don't have those boppers in the middle anymore. Especially if Bay leaves.

BTW, Iglesias is supposedly a mirror of Gonzo IIRC. Tremendous glove, but no bat. He's 19 I think, so the bat can still improve over time.

No sox fan should hate this signing, they guy hit .285 last year in the same division, we know what we will get most likely. Plus, this guy is good with the glove and comes for the perfect amount of time we need him for. He helps us out a lot, and frees up money to sign better people like Bay or whoever. Scutaro will fit with the team perfectly. This is not a boring signing, it is one that is actually exciting.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back