PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB position going forward?

I was a poster who did not agree with BB's decision not to use Ridley in the playoffs two years ago (still don't). I was a poster who had no issue with letting BJGE go because Ridley was going to be 'the guy'. I was a poster who thought it was bull that posters were on Ridley for a supposed fumble problem. Nevertheless, Ridley is rightfully in trouble with BB as he should be. That fumble was likely a 14 point point swing. In a season of only 16 games where the difference between a bye or even getting into the playoffs is one game, these kind of huge mistakes that may cost a victory must be looked down upon is the most serious of terms. And for Ridley, a guy who has been characterized as fumble prone (a description that is fitting?), this is poignant to the extreme. His fumble(s) today was due to taking poor care of the ball. How can someone labeled a fumbler with BB as a coach allow that to happen??? How??? It's inexplicable. So BB putting him in the doghouse is exactly the right message to send to such an inexplicable mental lapse.

The Patriots hallmark has been they don't help other teams win games by way of big careless mistakes. It's the opposite, the Patriots wait to take advantage of and be aided by other teams careless mental mistakes. Ridley is either going to have to find his ball possession zen or he is sliding toward a permanent residency in the dog house. And while some don't like the way BB is handling it, I ain't one of 'em. I remain a Ridley fan and hopefully this clear unambiguous message aids him in getting his mind straight on ball possession, puts him back on track of a big rush yards producer and, most importantly, down the road keeps the ball from being put on the ground in the 4th quarter of the AFCCG or SB. It's the stark, grave fear of the repercussions that is going to, hopefully, make it all work out for the best.

I disagree that it's a mistake to send a message to Ridley by benching him. For guys in the NFL, that's the worst punishment you can have, and I'm pretty sure it would pound the message "Ball security. BALL SECURITY. BALL SECURITY!!!!" into his head every time he touches the pigskin. It's Bill's way, and I think the results speak for themselves.

Therefore I completely agree that Vereen should be the #1 back. My having drafted him late in my Fantasy Football league has no bearing whatsoever on this statement...:whistle:

The conclusion seems to be that we should give Vereen as many touches as he can reasonably handle.

21 touches a game is a lot. It is reasonable for him to have a bit more. However, there is no reason that those would be the 1st down reps.

I'll let Gumby take this one. :)

Also, a pass-versatile back only coming in on 3rd downs seems to me to tend to give too much away to the D. rather keep them guessing on earlier downs too.

I agree that you don't want to run Vereen into the ground, and that some kind of platooning is required. But I'd really like to see a couple of series START with him in the backfield -- especially once the offense gets in sync enough to start running more hurry-up.

When the Pats drafted Shane Vereen, I had hopes that they'd found a genuine do-it-all back -- an ideal weapon for a no-huddle offense. Apparently, though the team hasn't felt he could handle the feature back role. Even after Ridley imploded today, they handed the ball to Blount. But once they finally turned to Vereen, he delivered to the tune of:

14 carries for 101 yards
7 catches for 58 yards

Pretty nice for essentially half a day's work.

So, do you think Vereen will finally get a chance to start? How long will it take for Ridley to crawl out of the doghouse? Etc.

Ya but we both also love Dowling. :D

Does anybody think Vereen could handle a "feature back" workload without breaking down?

If something season-long happens to Ridley -- injury or benching as the case may be -- Vereen won't get that many of Ridley's carries. We're really considering Ridley vs. Bolden vs. Blount.

Playing Blount over Ridley is painful. And Bolden doesn't seem to be healthy.

I guess another option is to give Leon Washington some reps, freeing up Vereen for other work, but that idea seems like it has more complexity than it has actual merit.

Over a few games, yes, Vereen can be the man. Give him the ball, and give Ridley some time to start to work out his issues. He needs to pratice high and tight, at practice, on home, at the local skating rink, and for 10-12 snaps a game. In the meantime, ride Vereen with spells from Blount (who moves like his knees hurt) and Bolden (once his knees no longer hurt).

Vereen might no last a season or more than the average 4-year RB career as a number 1 back, but we're talking a few games here. With Gronk out and Hooman in, Vereen will help give us another passing threat on early downs.

I was a poster who did not agree with BB's decision not to use Ridley in the playoffs two years ago (still don't). I was a poster who had no issue with letting BJGE go because Ridley was going to be 'the guy'. I was a poster who thought it was bull that posters were on Ridley for a supposed fumble problem. Nevertheless, Ridley is rightfully in trouble with BB as he should be. That fumble was likely a 14 point point swing. In a season of only 16 games where the difference between a bye or even getting into the playoffs is one game, these kind of huge mistakes that may cost a victory must be looked down upon is the most serious of terms. And for Ridley, a guy who has been characterized as fumble prone (a description that is fitting?), this is poignant to the extreme. His fumble(s) today was due to taking poor care of the ball. How can someone labeled a fumbler with BB as a coach allow that to happen??? How??? It's inexplicable. So BB putting him in the doghouse is exactly the right message to send to such an inexplicable mental lapse.

The Patriots hallmark has been they don't help other teams win games by way of big careless mistakes. It's the opposite, the Patriots wait to take advantage of and be aided by other teams careless mental mistakes. Ridley is either going to have to find his ball possession zen or he is sliding toward a permanent residency in the dog house. And while some don't like the way BB is handling it, I ain't one of 'em. I remain a Ridley fan and hopefully this clear unambiguous message aids him in getting his mind straight on ball possession, puts him back on track of a big rush yards producer and, most importantly, down the road keeps the ball from being put on the ground in the 4th quarter of the AFCCG or SB. It's the stark, grave fear of the repercussions that is going to, hopefully, make it all work out for the best.

This is spot on. That first fumble was a fumble and recovered by Connolly. That should have been ample reminder to the Ridler. However, he has some ingrained bad habits that need to be unlearned. Reaching out with his ball arm to catch himself when he slips is a horrendously bad instinct. He habitually uses his ball arm for balance. That needs to stop. The ball arm is for gluing to your side. The rest of him is for balance. If he can't run effectively with the ball high-and-tight, he's borderline useless. Give him a week or two to work on it again. Then, give him 8-10 snaps a game and bench him if you see daylight under his arm.

I think he can do this. It's not rocket science; it's practice, but if you put him in a game situation too soon or for too long, instinct will take over, and he'll never develop the muscle memory needed to habituate himself to holding the ball securely. This isn't punishment, it's an investment in a talented back. He's had ample opportunity to be reminded of his problem and to will himself to stop. That clearly hasn't worked. He needs time, and Vereen, Blount (ugh) and Bolden will be there to give him that time.

Is there any question in anybody's mind that Le-Slowest Blount is terrible.:mad: Seriously a Big guy like that who runs like a mouse. I remember off two preseason busted runs going where the play wasn't designed he all of a sudden was better than Brandon Bolden...go figure.:rolleyes: The Difference between Bolden and Blount is Bloden goes forward while Le-Slowest goes backwards. I EXPECT BLOUNT TO CUT! LATER ON TODAY! Enough is enough.:mad:

I will say this IF we are going to a pass it as much as we do I would like to see much more of Shane Vereen this guy is Reggie Bush 2.0. Shane Vereen runs routes like WR's which puts alot of pressure on the Defense knowing they have to account for him. On Fumbler or Riddley:mad: who is not a spectacular RB by any stretch of the imagination,if you are a better than average RB you have to take care of the football BB will not put up with a RB that is prone to fumbles or is careless with the football. I love seeing Riddley's profile on the bench he looks good from the right side. I hope fumbler gets the message going foward.

Is there any question in anybody's mind that Le-Slowest Blount is terrible.:mad: Seriously a Big guy like that who runs like a mouse. I remember off two preseason busted runs going where the play wasn't designed he all of a sudden was better than Brandon Bolden...go figure.:rolleyes: The Difference between Bolden and Blount is Bloden goes forward while Le-Slowest goes backwards. I EXPECT BLOUNT TO CUT! LATER ON TODAY! Enough is enough.:mad:

You lose a lot of credibility towards your analysis when you use self made-up cutesy(You're the only one who thinks it's funny) nicknames like Le-Slowest. Sure he shouldn't be returning kicks. Leon Washington is back to do just that. But, I'd rather hammer him into the line at the goal line when we were down 21-17 than whatever we did.

You lose a lot of credibility towards your analysis when you use self made-up cutesy(You're the only one who thinks it's funny) nicknames like Le-Slowest. Sure he shouldn't be returning kicks. Leon Washington is back to do just that. But, I'd rather hammer him into the line at the goal line when we were down 21-17 than whatever we did.

I guess you were the only one impressed by is runing behind our OL key words only one.:snob:

I think Ridley is the best running back on the pats, but he deserved to sit on the bench yesterday for the rest of the game, and maybe part of the game against the jest. Falling to the ground and coughing the ball up is totally unacceptable. I think when players start fumbling its more of a mental issue than a physical one. Its like the pitcher that all of a sudden can't throw to first base.

Over a few games, yes, Vereen can be the man. Give him the ball, and give Ridley some time to start to work out his issues. He needs to pratice high and tight, at practice, on home, at the local skating rink, and for 10-12 snaps a game. In the meantime, ride Vereen with spells from Blount (who moves like his knees hurt) and Bolden (once his knees no longer hurt).

Vereen might no last a season or more than the average 4-year RB career as a number 1 back, but we're talking a few games here. With Gronk out and Hooman in, Vereen will help give us another passing threat on early downs.

This is spot on. That first fumble was a fumble and recovered by Connolly. That should have been ample reminder to the Ridler. However, he has some ingrained bad habits that need to be unlearned. Reaching out with his ball arm to catch himself when he slips is a horrendously bad instinct. He habitually uses his ball arm for balance. That needs to stop. The ball arm is for gluing to your side. The rest of him is for balance. If he can't run effectively with the ball high-and-tight, he's borderline useless. Give him a week or two to work on it again. Then, give him 8-10 snaps a game and bench him if you see daylight under his arm.

I think he can do this. It's not rocket science; it's practice, but if you put him in a game situation too soon or for too long, instinct will take over, and he'll never develop the muscle memory needed to habituate himself to holding the ball securely. This isn't punishment, it's an investment in a talented back. He's had ample opportunity to be reminded of his problem and to will himself to stop. That clearly hasn't worked. He needs time, and Vereen, Blount (ugh) and Bolden will be there to give him that time.

Great analysis on Riddley.

I've spent all summer asking for Tim Tebow and George Winn to be RBs. Which is my way of saying: "don't ask me" :)

I won't say anything about Tebow but George Winn gets my vote! Kid played hard and reminded me of BGE.

Ridley learned that "Dependability is more important than Ability." isn't just empty words on a plaque in the locker room.

I guess you were the only one impressed by is runing behind our OL key words only one.:snob:

I didn't see the word impressed in my post. I said he's a better option than what we did. Comprende?

I think Ridley needs to cover the ball with both hands ala Vereen when he's surrounded and about to get tackled. Not sure if it's an awareness problem or just Stevan trying to get that extra yard or two. Trying to turn a 12 yd run into a 13 or 14 yd run isn't as important as not turning the ball over......

I'm a Ridley supporter but his fumbles are driving me crazy.

HOLD ON TO THE ROCK !!!! eek:

Blount/Bolden

So a week after almost the whole board wanted Bolden cut in favor of Blount, pretty much everyone wants Blount cut.

Everyone wanted to keep Blount mainly because of one run in an exhibition game. Now they want him cut after 7 carries.

Bolden now is the new savior and he apparently became that by not suiting up Sunday.

Sure are a fickle bunch.

Looks like we are now dependent on Ridley. Hold on to that rock!

Blount/Bolden

So a week after almost the whole board wanted Bolden cut in favor of Blount, pretty much everyone wants Blount cut.

Everyone wanted to keep Blount mainly because of one run in an exhibition game. Now they want him cut after 7 carries.

Bolden now is the new savior and he apparently became that by not suiting up Sunday.

Sure are a fickle bunch.

Cannot wait to see Bolden back. I know he's been injured/juicing, but man he had an awesome game versus buffalo last year.

Re: Blount/Bolden

We certainly are. And now if Vereen is out for a couple of weeks, we may need both.

The reality is that we have always needed at least four running backs, one who likely inactive in each game. Belichick has often kept five, with any excuse. After all, RB's are very subject to injuries. So, this year the 5th is Washington.

I see exactly ZERO reason to cut either Blount or Bolden. I'm fine with one or even both being inactive if everyone else is healthy. If anyone has any doubts, consider the situation of the Giants. We are in much, much better shape. With 2 of our RB's injured, we still have Ridley, Blount and Washington.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back