Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Rate the Patriots' entire draft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This draft may be helpful a few years down the road as depth was added to OL and RB, but does nothing to address the weaknesses from last year.

Maybe I am short-sighted in wanting to win now, but TB isn't getting any younger, and I want to maximize the title shots while he is still around. Free agency if yet to be seen, but the D needs improvement on pressuring the QB. Draft grade - Incomplete

They might end up with the most monsterous line in the nfl.

Time will tell. Games are won in the trenches.

I think Cannon may have been a steal and Solder is the best in the draft at his position with tremendous upside. Both of these guys are not just big, they are also athletic. Coach them up.

you sir are spot on we think alike.

Ppl still fail to see how Hoyer will net us a Second Round selection. Arizona would be a fine fit. Cheaper than Kolb thus more attractive by the easy ability o acquire him.

Whiza intends to quote me. I encourage you all to do so. If I am wrong I will eat crow and admit that I was wrong.

but my fellow PATS

I will not be wrong

Last edited:
Meh. Pretty solid draft. Got the O linemen that I thought the team was needing (my thoughts to Cannon, regardless of making the team). We picked up A DB who can be a great S here. We upgraded at RB ( I see these two replacing three RB's on the roster), a great potential TB replacement/insurance policy. I am not thrilled about Mallett and investing heavily this season, but TB has already missed one season and has been pretty broken up at the end of several. So that kind of insurance is nice.

I am liking the new attitude this O projects to carry. Big. Mean. Punishing. Yet can slice an opponent to ribbons with a quick strike capability.

Brady quite possibly could have a blitzkrieg style offense with a tremendous amount of weaponry equating to fast strikes and the spreading of wealth to the eligible receivers on the field.

I love what we have done.:cool:

Last edited:
they merely cannot cover all of our weapons especially w/ the gr8 amount of time TFB will have to make his decision.

woody/ new rb can both catch

Trip TE's in Gronk/Hernandez/New Guy (Crump) is gone imo. he can go this new guy can block well

Tate... don't give up yet. Welker/Edelman/Price

what will other D's do:cool: Gronk is nearly impossible to cover. we have so many midfield threats and a WR in Tate that could emerge as a reliable/ above avg deep theat.

Price had little opportunity to do anything.

Do not forget about our "NEON Deion" (folks you cannot coach or coach against chemistry.

I foresee GR8 things and an AFC Title. We have a difficult schedule, yes. We had 1 last yr look what happened:).

no more playoff jabs the LAW of AVERAGES finally caught up with Tom Brady. I don't want to hear playoff moans:mad:

Last edited:
So much potential with this draft class...

Last edited:
Without knowing what holes will be filled in free agency, it's tough to rate the draft as a whole, IMO. As JSP points out, the draft is usually the last part of the puzzle. So, I'll say that I liked some of what they did, am unsure of some of what they did, and disliked some of what they did. I guess that makes it "meh", according to your choice list.

dude... don't be pessimistic. your eval appears to be constructed myopically:bricks:

If the entire draft is a bust and none of these guys make the team....and the team wins the SB, we'll all be pleased as a pig in slop....

This draft may be helpful a few years down the road as depth was added to OL and RB, but does nothing to address the weaknesses from last year.

Maybe I am short-sighted in wanting to win now, but TB isn't getting any younger, and I want to maximize the title shots while he is still around. Free agency if yet to be seen, but the D needs improvement on pressuring the QB. Draft grade - Incomplete

(labor issues ignored here)

I am thinking that Solder, Cannon and Smith all can play this season. Smith and Solder will get time at "TE" and this should spell the end of Crumpler. If Cannon is healthy by summer he will be starting at RG before the season ends. This should spell the end of Neal.

Vereen is Kevin Faulk, young and healthy. Ridley replaces Taylor and Morris immediately and is a good stiff arm from being an animal power back.

This O just got big, physical and more dynamic, this year, which will help take the pressure off TB and allow him more time here. But should the unspeakable happen....

Bringing in Mallett is insurance against a (lets admit this now) kinda fragile and aging TB. Not my time or my fav but I totally get it. I would have waited till next season, but BB musta seen what he wanted outta the kid. Good enough for me.

We brought in a first round talent at DB with some minor health issues. BB and his medical staff must feel confident that its of a minor and temporary nature or they dont take him there. I believe him. That said, this seconday is getting as good as 2003/4. And the secondary is what makes this D tick. A two gap front 7 must read the O at the snap because they have responsibility for two gaps, not one. THEN they can attack to make the play, stay home, drop into coverage, or set an edge (many times, the DL's only job is to occupy those two gaps and get a push, even on passing downs, by design). That extra blink is all on the secondary. Its how the D is designed. This was a great pick.

We did draft an OLB prospect in who is prototypical, athletic, and has the skill set to develop. He will be interesting to watch develop.

Dont forget, the last two drafts have been laden with defensive talent, which we saw do a pretty damn good job for a bunch of rooks and second year players last season. This is a very hard system to completely grasp mentally. It takes a couple of seasons of apprenticeship to develop into. These kids got tossed into the fire and grew quickly. They are just going to get better.

I forgot to mention that there's also the rollover picks to add to the mix. That's certainly a plus.

i love the Marcus Cannon pick a big G who can help the run game and hold up vs big NT's

i love the Marcus Cannon pick a big G who can help the run game and hold up vs big NT's
Me too, but it sounds like hes not going to be able to play this year.

Adding 2 new pieces to the o-line, another shutdown corner and 2 new Running Back weapons immediately makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Then I realize BB has a potential franchise QB warming the benches for the next few seasons learning from the greatest makes my morning even better.

All things considered and with free agency remaining I'm relatively pleased with this draft, especially the steal of Marcus Cannon in the 5th.

Last edited:
Me too, but it sounds like hes not going to be able to play this year.

Oh really? Well worth the risk though I guess for a 5th rounder. Not too many 5th rounders with 1st round talent. Hope he is going to be ok.

They might end up with the most monsterous line in the nfl.

Time will tell. Games are won in the trenches.

I think Cannon may have been a steal and Solder is the best in the draft at his position with tremendous upside. Both of these guys are not just big, they are also athletic. Coach them up.

I still think there are a lot more questions at OL then there are answers. Such as, who's going to play guard? Who's going to play center next year after Koppen's leaves? Can Solder start right away? Hopefully the pieces fall into place.

Maybe B, B-. Have to see these guys play I guess. If they could snag one decent pass rusher in a trade/fa I'd say a pretty good draft. Bodden,McCourty,Dooling,&Arrington is very nice dept at CB. Maybe Butler gets traded.

I'm with you on the B-. This draft reminded me alot of the 2007 draft where BB was overdrafting players and all the fans were livid but compassionate given his track record. That draft didn't pay off, but hopefully the team can redeem itself this year.

I still think there are a lot more questions at OL then there are answers. Such as, who's going to play guard? Who's going to play center next year after Koppen's leaves? Can Solder start right away? Hopefully the pieces fall into place.

I'm thinking they will probably complete the oline overhaul next season drafting a center high with 1 of those first 4 picks. I'm hoping for Michael Brewster out of Ohio st or Peter Konz from Wisconsin. This years draft class didn't have a true center in the draft. One of these 2 would replace Koppen and be well worth the investment imo.

As far as rating the draft? Offensively I give it a solid B+. After further review I think Mallet was an absolute steal in the 3rd. I didn't realize how good of a touch he has on his deep ball. Coach him up and we'll see.

I didn't really like the lineman in the first round at 17 of this draft but if we were going to take any I liked Solder the best. Better than Tyron Smith and Costanzo. He has the measureables that Scar is looking for and certainly his 40 was off the hook{not too much of a factor} but his short shuttle and other splits were better than anyone elses at the position. Fast enough to do what a Patriots offensive lineman needs in this system. Solid pickup and looking back the Patriots are 3-3 with any lineman selected in the first 2 rounds. Klemm doesn't count;)

The running back picks were nice. Vereen's cutting ability in the open field I think is going to be fun to watch for years to come. The comparisons of Maroney the dancer by some are hardly fair. From what I see he hit's the hole and doesn't delay. He's twice the receiver out ofthe backfield as well. the 3rd and 4th round made it evident that Ridley wasn't going to be around and when the Raiders deal was almost finalized I see why they took him so early. He was their guy. Shouldn't of been a suprise, they said they were looking to draft 2 rb's prior to the draft.

As far as defense I give it a D. Loved the Dowling pick and looking back we wouldn't of got him later in the 2nd round. I think having 4 CB's is a good thing. McCourty and Bodden seeming to be the real deal and a open book with Dowling and Butler. Seems like we are trying to duplicate what Green Bay does so well which really helps their pass rush imo.

Like everyone else I was dissapointed that the pass rush wasn't a factor in the draft. However I feel the defense was making huge strides through the middle of the season until the injuries finally took the air out of the sail. Having Warren,Wright,Brace,Bodden and Pryor back will help for sure. We also added Stroud who is rock solid imo. It's almost like drafting these players all over again except they come with NFL experience. Some of the newer guys like Fletcher and Love will be better with more time and we will see how Cunningham and Nikovich progress. I have huge question marks about the LB's but evidently BB is ready to give them more responsibility and I'll take a wait and see on those two.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the B-. This draft reminded me alot of the 2007 draft where BB was overdrafting players and all the fans were livid but compassionate given his track record. That draft didn't pay off, but hopefully the team can redeem itself this year.

The Pats spent most of their pick capital on Randy Moss and Wes Welker in 2007 You can't mention that 07 draft without mentioning those guys. The Pats only went on to become the HIGHEST SCORING OFFENSE of ALL TIME. In hindsight the reason the Pats were probably willing to expend picks in trade is they didn't like the depth of that draft very much.

The 2011 draft doesn't look as solid all around as the 2010 draft, it more heavily favors the offensive side than the defense, but it's early to judge the merits of the draft. And I think there are some picks here who can definitely pay dividends in the long haul.

1. Nate Solder - Potential franchise LT. If he works out to be the stud that Dante thinks he can be, the Pats are SET at both tackles for a long time with him and Vollmer. The draft would be a success if this pick worked out alone. Because Franchise LTs are that important to team success.

2. Ras-I Dowling - CB. Since when did CB become a controversial pick. With better corners you can defense against the prolific passing offenses that have come prominent in the league. You really can't have enough good corners. Especially when certain of them were so suspect to getting picked on last year. How many of you moaned and groaned when Wilhite and Butler got repeatedly burned? Well now there's a new CB in town. Ras-I Dowling is a TALL and talented CB who can handle the taller WRs that have become more prevalent in the NFL. It's always good to bolster the secondary when that secondary ranked poorly in the previous season.

3. Runningbacks - Vereen + Ridley. The Pats lack of a running game in the postseason, their inability to conduct a balanced offense has been a problem in the postseason. Whether it was because they couldn't 'grind out' games to finish the clock when they had the lead OR once the run game got shut down they become 'one dimensional' and predictable passing offense. Now the Pats have the personnel to pound the football and finish out those games and be less predictable offensively.

4. Ryan Mallett. Long term this was an investment pick who may pay off bigger than any other pick taken today. If you get yourself a franchise QB with a 3rd round pick, that has to be considered a heist. Does he have questions? Sure. Did BB interview Mallett personally and was satisfied he could work with Mallett? He sure did. Only time will tell, but physically Mallett is the prototypical QB with the cannon arm who NFL teams would love to have if he lives up to his high ceiling.

5. Marcus Cannon. Another selection with the future in mind. If Cannon comes through his treatment with good health, the Patriots got an absolute steal. A 6'5 350 lb 'dancing bear' who will absolutely maul defenders at the point of attack and pave the way for the Pats 'new look' rushing attack.

6. Lee Smith. Another TE Run Blocking Mauler. The Pats imperative is clear in 2011 - Pave the way for the Run Game and control the clock.

Oh and we did draft an OLB by the name of Markell Carter and another DB by the name of Malcolm Williams. In all this team got completely retooled offensively, deeper in the secondary, and picked up a developmental OLB for competition in camp. Are these picks all going to work out? Of course not. But BB's vision is pretty clear in this draft and he aggressively sought out players who could make his 'new blueprint' come to life.

Now we'll have to wait to see exactly how these pieces all fit together but the Pats have definitely added talent to the roster. You can't help but do so when you make 9 selections in the draft. If even half of those guys pan out, that's improving the overall roster by 5 more talented guys. BB's best '53' versus another team's flashy 'top 10'. I'll take the deeper 53 and the better coach every time.

Last edited:
Except it was nothing like the 2007 draft.

(labor issues ignored here)

I am thinking that Solder, Cannon and Smith all can play this season. Smith and Solder will get time at "TE" and this should spell the end of Crumpler. If Cannon is healthy by summer he will be starting at RG before the season ends. This should spell the end of Neal.

Vereen is Kevin Faulk, young and healthy. Ridley replaces Taylor and Morris immediately and is a good stiff arm from being an animal power back.

This O just got big, physical and more dynamic, this year, which will help take the pressure off TB and allow him more time here. But should the unspeakable happen....

Bringing in Mallett is insurance against a (lets admit this now) kinda fragile and aging TB. Not my time or my fav but I totally get it. I would have waited till next season, but BB musta seen what he wanted outta the kid. Good enough for me.

We brought in a first round talent at DB with some minor health issues. BB and his medical staff must feel confident that its of a minor and temporary nature or they dont take him there. I believe him. That said, this seconday is getting as good as 2003/4. And the secondary is what makes this D tick. A two gap front 7 must read the O at the snap because they have responsibility for two gaps, not one. THEN they can attack to make the play, stay home, drop into coverage, or set an edge (many times, the DL's only job is to occupy those two gaps and get a push, even on passing downs, by design). That extra blink is all on the secondary. Its how the D is designed. This was a great pick.

We did draft an OLB prospect in who is prototypical, athletic, and has the skill set to develop. He will be interesting to watch develop.

Dont forget, the last two drafts have been laden with defensive talent, which we saw do a pretty damn good job for a bunch of rooks and second year players last season. This is a very hard system to completely grasp mentally. It takes a couple of seasons of apprenticeship to develop into. These kids got tossed into the fire and grew quickly. They are just going to get better.

Neal has already retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back