2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Rate day 1 of the draft for the Pats

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, Solder pick isn't bad but, I don't like trading out to a 1st round next year to an elite team. Had it been a mediocre team it wouldn't be a bad decision imo. Brady isn't getting younger. Need a pass rusher. Mark Ingram would of been very nice to.

Since we only have 5 picks next yr and free agents will be available yet (for short-term pass rush), 2 firsts next yr is a good thing. Possibility of rookie salary cap makes bundling them and moving up more palatable to the Pats.

Right, and of those 24 picks the p[ast two years, how many have stuck with the team? I'd rather have less picks with more impact.

Major contributors in bold

2010 (Still with team)

1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
2nd Round (53rd Overall) – Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida

3rd Round (90th Overall) – Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama

2009 (Still with team)
2/34 -- Patrick Chung, SS, 5-11, 212, Oregon
2/40 -- Ron Brace, DL, 6-3, 330, Boston College

2/41 -- Darius Butler, CB, 5-10, 183, Connecticut
2/58 -- Sebastian Vollmer, OT, 6-7, 312, Houston
3/83 -- Brandon Tate, WR, 6-0, 183, North Carolina

4/123 -- Rich Ohrnberger, G, 6-2, 297, Penn State
6/207 -- Myron Pryor, DT, 6-0, 319, Kentucky
7/232 -- Julian Edelman, WR, 6-0, 198, Kent State

7/234 -- Darryl Richard, DT, 6-4, 290, Georgia Tech

Not bad, i have to say

Since we only have 5 picks next yr and free agents will be available yet (for short-term pass rush), 2 firsts next yr is a good thing. Possibility of rookie salary cap makes bundling them and moving up more palatable to the Pats.

Someone probably posted the same exact post last year at this time which is the frustrating part. I think at some point you want to see the payoff now.

Yeah, I'm sick of the *****ing and moaning that goes on. The Patriots have turned over a monumental amount of the roster in recent years and kept winning. The 2010 Draft class turned out to be a monumental win in their rookie season and only looks set to improve.

BB knows what he's doing and he will address the Patriots needs moving forward. Everyone complained that the trenches for the Patriots needed to be improved after the playoff losses, well bang there's the highest ceiling OL on the Patriots now and right before the OL run came in pissing off every team that had it as a need.

It shocks me that people still complain after seeing what BB has done with this team in a short space of time utilizing the same process as he does every season. He addressed a bucketload of problems in round 2 last year and I expect him to do the same as last season.

Christ according to some people Devin McCourty was a throw away he's no good pick in 2010. Lulz at those idiots.

******* muppets some of you seriously.

Last edited:
Picking an unsexy OL can't be anything but a Meh at this point,this was not a flashy pick and only flashy picks are ranked higher than Meh...always.

If it was Joe Thomas a few years ago that would have been a different story....I hope Solder is our Joe Thomas,Thomas is a beast.

Win. They needed an OT and got one. It's what I expected. But I didn't expect them to reject Ingram at 28. It seemed right to take him at that spot.

Pats acquire another 2nd round pick in this draft and an extra 1st in 2012. They also come away with a guy they believe can be their franchise LT for the next 5 years or more. I'd say that goes down as a WIN in my book. Still waiting to see what they do in Day 2 though. That's gonna be the real 'meat and potatoes' of the Patriots draft.

Last edited:
Win. They needed an OT and got one. It's what I expected. But I didn't expect them to reject Ingram at 28. It seemed right to take him at that spot.
I think they may grab Todham in the 3rd.....they MOST LIKELY will draft a RB somewhere.

I still like the kid from Pittsburgh RB Dion Lewis,somewhere late tomorrow.

Massive fail. We lost 2 years of Seymour for a developmental OT. We should have come away with two great players today and we end up with a single maybe. When will Bill pull the trigger and go grab the blue chip guy, when Brady is 40?

Here we sit, and still have no pass rush, and medicocre running backs by committee.

I coulda sworn we had a 1000 yd RB last year. :confused:

Maybe Solder can russ the passer :confused2:

I like the Solder pick. Huge upside. Within a year or so, will have the best tackle-tandem in the league, and they'll still be young.

28 is meh right now, but depends on what happens with that pick tomorrow. Never hurts to punt into the next years first round. 33 will be interesting. I thing we'll get back into the first again next year, pick up pick up another pick later in the 3rd and only have to drop 4-6 spots and will get the same guy they are targeting now.

Right now the only grade you can give is INCOMPLETE, cuz that's what it is.

Last edited:
As always, In Bill We Trust

I think overall we had a good day 1 but not a great one.

I didn't like the idea of taking a OT in the 1st but obviously Bill and Dante think they can do great things with him and they know better than me. I was disappointed to see both Robert Quinn and Ryan Kerrigan go only a few picks before we chose but what can you do?

We definitely got good value for #28 but personally I think the value was offset by the loss of Wilkerson and Heyward, had either of them fallen to 33 then it would have been an absolute steal. A draft that seemed very deep at DL a few days ago is now looking very thin, I personally can't see any DL worth taking in the top half of the 2nd with the exception of Marvin Austin who may not fit the scheme.

At the end of the day there's a reason BB has 3 Superbowl rings and I've learnt my lesson from last year after lamenting the McCourty pick, so I trust BB to make the best picks for the team

I'm satisfied with the draft selection, I just hope we can find a real good pass rusher in the 2nd.

Lets see, We get a beast at OT to protect Brady. There are a lot of questions going into the season about our O-Line, since Light might not be back, Mankins might not be back, Neal has retired. So there are a lot of questions. We have 3 2nd rounders and we now have not 5 picks in next years draft, but 6 and that is the extra 1st rounder. I say that is clearly a win imho :rocker:

For defense, well we can easily take care of the defense today. I have a feeling 3 out of the 5 picks will be defense. I am not worried and on top of that, free agency hasnt begun yet!!

I'm listening to WFAN, and the Giant beat reporter said the Giants were very high on Solder, and probably would have taken him if he were available at 19.

I rate it as classic Patriots.

Pick a player few expect with potential that most don't know about and trade a pick back a year while picking up another second rounder. Really, are the Patriots becoming predictable or what. :D

I gave it a "meh". Like the Solder pick, it was a need. Trading 28 for ANOTHER future pick (once again), not a big fan of. Sooner or later, it'll bite you in the @ss. Sooner or later, you have to make the pick. Typically, not always, but typically, talent in the 28 spot is better than talent in the 56 spot. So some great talent was missed that could have been added to the team already. Having a player on the team that can help in 2011, as opposed to waiting for 2012, is always preferrable in my opinion.

Look, we basically traded #28 in 2011, for probably the same spot in 2012, while picking up an extra 2nd round pick. In theory, that's a steal, BUT, Tom Brady isn't getting any younger, Vince Wilfork is getting closer to quitting, etc. This team isn't that far off from being a championship team. We can't keep trading picks, they are losing out on superior talent, while picking mostly less superior talents in the second round. For example, Clay Matthews would have made our defense a lot better than it is now. Who's to say, if he was on the Pats this year, that he wouldn't have pressured Sanchez into some mistakes in the playoff game ? Instead, we have Butler struggling as a nickel back. Common sense, pick 28 gives you a better chance at getting a good player than pick 56, any idiot can realize that (regardless of the late round guys who wind up stars).

Belichick is an incredible head coach, and a solid drafter, but he's not infallible, and not mistake proof when it comes to the draft. I'd say he was 65%-35% in his success ratio. Pretty good, but not great.

Tom Brady is getting older and older and yet BB drafts a project OT and trades out of the first round yet again.

Fail.

Are you kidding? This guy is athletic, Vollmer/Mankins size and was Big 12 OL of the Year. The Pats have to get a younger OL no matter what - Neal retired, Light is old and Mankins is probably one and done. Face it, this was a need pick and the guy came in as a tight end so he has ball skills which can help out in the red zone from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3