Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question: Re: Pass protection after SB loss

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Krugman, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krugman

Krugman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I admit to being childish and still not watching my DVR recording of the SB.Has anyone observed any particular breakdown in that game or was it the Giants d-line (a good one I beleive)having an oustanding game?Lastly,if there was some breakdown,any ideas on how to fix this gap before some of the teams with the right personnel exploit it? As per usual,I look to the more knowledgeable folks on this board on some insight re this.For the record,I guess thats most of you...:).
  2. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +840 / 5 / -3

Re: Question:Re pass protection after SB loss:

There was an excellent breakdown thread up here a few months ago where a poster (I can't remember who, but it is a regular) broke down each play and the breakdowns in protection. If anyone has a link to the thread, it will help you the best.
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,445 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Re: Question:Re pass protection after SB loss:

The only breakdown was our fat o-lineman against their streamlined and fast d-line.
  4. Mix

Mix Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

5. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I don't think it is childish to not want to rewatch that game. It was awful and I still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about it.

IMHO, the Giants gameplan was what Tony Kornheiser described during the Ravens game. "If you want to beat the Pats, you have to be willing to lose 100-0 against them. Blitz as much as you can and hope you get to Brady before he can get the ball out."

And THAT is exactly what the Giants did.
  6. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +393 / 1 / -2

I think the key was that they were able to rush the interior of our line (usually our strength), which prevented Brady's bread and butter, stepping up straight into the middle of the pocket and delivering.

A counter to this could have been more rollout or similar plays, but with Brady's ankle, I don't think that was really an option.

I also think that the Giants played 100% "to the death" hardcore for three quarters and just outworked our OL. There was a noticeable difference in the effectiveness of the pass rush in the 4th quarter, when the Giants got tired and the Pats were finally able to put together a good drive.

If the game was five quarters, we're 19-0, but alas, was not to be.
  7. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +637 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

We didn't run the ball in the second half. Simple as that.
  8. bradmahn

bradmahn Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No. No it isn't.
  9. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +393 / 1 / -2

Agreed. I would even say our second half was better overall than our first half offensively. Felt that way anyway, until the end...
  10. BWareofDWare

BWareofDWare Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Here is the write-up that Albert Breer did for the Dallas Morning News on what the Giants did defensively. Bottom line is though they were able to get 4 of their sacks using 4 man pressure. 4-man pressure being productive means that you have a max of 5 possible receivers and 7 defenders in coverage. It's just a numbers game at that point.

11. mdhprime

mdhprime Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Looking at the game again it seems to me that the offensive line was really just unprepared for what the Giants did. Whether it was the blitz or only rushing four the Patriot o-line looked confused. The number of people coming at Brady untouched was pretty scary. I think that and the almost total abandonment of the run really made the line look bad. Having said that, I think the year in total showed everyone the line is indeed rather talented and that the Super Bowl performance was more of an aberration than anything else.
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +637 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Yes. Yes it is. The giants players were cramping up on the sidelines. They were rushing four every play and blitzing some.

The lack of a running game allowed them to do this. Also, against a spent defense (cramping), allowing the Oline to dish out punishment instead of taking it would have left them spent and revitalized our line.

Funny how getting to pound instead of being pounded recharges the batteries. Ask any olineman, I bet they'll agree.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  13. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

In other words, we were outcoached and outplayed.
  14. Krugman

Krugman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks to all for your replies,interesting.
  15. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

16. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +840 / 5 / -3

It is hard to argue that it was the lack of running. If you look at each drive, you really can't argue it.

On the Pats first drive, their last set of downs started with a Maroney run for no gain on first down (Maroney three times for 5 yards on that drive with only one run picking up positive yards). The drive was also almost ended earlier in the drive partly because Maroney ran for -2 yards on first down. Brady was 9 of 10 passing in that drive. Running the ball helped to stall the drive. Not just once, but twice (once was saved by an illegal substitution call against the Giants).

On the second drive, a Matt Light false start on second down (making it a 2nd and 15 and forcing the Pats to throw) stalled the drive where the Pats ran 2 of the eight plays. On that drive, Brady was able to pass for 16, 19, and 9 yards. Brady was sacked on a third and long on this drive, but that was helped set up with the false start. The Pats might have scored on this drive, but Belichick decided to go for a TD on 4th and 13 on the 31 yard line rather than try to kick the field goal.

You might be able to argue about the next drive since they went 4 and out. Brady was 2 for 2 on that drive.

On the fifth drive, the Pats scored while only running once on 12 plays. This drive had the lowest run to pass percentage of any drive the Pats had in the second half that went more than four plays. Brady was 9 for 11 on that drive.

On the last drive, they couldn't run the ball. You can criticize the play calling, but it wasn't because they didn't run the ball.

If we had a better running game in that game, it definitely would have helped. But I don't see not running the ball in the second half being the reason the Pats offense struggled since Brady had a better second half than first. Penalties and poor running by Maroney played into drives stalling. Play calling has nothing to do with mental breakdowns like false starts. That is 100% on the player.

Besides, if you take away the two goalline runs by Maroney (he ran two more times on the Giants one yard line to score the first TD), he ran exactly twice on our two scoring drives with one run on each TD drive. I take out the goalline runs because you can't penalize the Pats for not using Maroney in goalline situations in the second half when they only had one and they score the TD.
  17. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +637 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I wasn't arguing specifically that running the ball was better than short passes (which is all we had time for).

It might have been, we weren't moving the ball otherwise, but...

It would have made the pass rush hesitate. This is why Brady was in danger, no hesitation, full speed rush every play.

It would have allowed our Olinemen to dish out punishment. Even though they rotated every lineman and LB they could, they were cramping up and exhausted. They would have started fading in a 70 minute game, but they lasted. Getting pancacked a couple times every set of downs would have finished off a couple of those guys.

And Olinemen like to hit. Nobody likes to stand there for 60 minutes getting pummeled.

Any defense that knows what you're going to do (pass) can stop you.
  18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,289 / 57 / -71

Disable Jersey

Without Neal, running was made much more difficult.
  19. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

neal is a pulling gaurd who back the strong side runs . he is a starter and his back up came in it took that over power left run . with constant breaking in line i have no idea what one want maroney to do. every time he got the ball their was a defender on him.he had no where to go.
  20. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +637 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Not as difficult as stopping the best 4 man pass rush in the game, plus blitzers, when they knew you were passing every down.

I don't recall John Hannah leading the way for Pokey Antowain in 2001.

How many of those Olinemen wil make the hall of fame? Didn't stop us from establishing the run and keeping the other team off balance.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.