PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Public image overvaluing favored Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article. I realize it's common to say that bookies want even money on both sides but that's not always true - sometimes they'll try to win big by getting the public to put money on what they think will be the losing side. Of course, there's a lot more risk to the bookies this way too, but the 50-50 split isn't always what they're going for.

I would have expected tonight to be about Even and the Colts to be favored by about 2 if you'd asked me blindly.

BelichickFan said:
Interesting article. I realize it's common to say that bookies want even money on both sides but that's not always true - sometimes they'll try to win big by getting the public to put money on what they think will be the losing side. Of course, there's a lot more risk to the bookies this way too, but the 50-50 split isn't always what they're going for.

I would have expected tonight to be about Even and the Colts to be favored by about 2 if you'd asked me blindly.
pats are favored by 1 as of now..
http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_lines.shtml

SVN said:
I have no idea how they expect even money on that. Maybe I'm wrong but that line screams to me "put money on Indy" to Joe Fan so that the bookies can clean up when the Patriots inevitably win.

I may be way off. I know bookies do this because my friend used to be one. But I just don't see a lot of non Patriot fans giving a point to take the Patiots over Indy. Game in New England or not.

Last edited:
I hate it when we are favoured.

BelichickFan said:

The line is always calculated to maximize betting action. Always!

If money starts to shift one way, the spread changes because it's deemed this action is not maximizing opportunity for the house.

You don't really think these guys know anything about football, do you?

Patriotic Fervor said:
The line is always calculated to maximize betting action. Always!

If money starts to shift one way, the spread changes because it's deemed this action is not maximizing opportunity for the house.

You don't really think these guys know anything about football, do you?
Believe what you want. The line is usually to get even money on both sides. But not always. And I don't think Patriots-1 gets even money on both sides - do you ?

minnesota sucks, and if they werent home, the pats would be 10 point favs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back