PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Football Weekly on Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We hear that while the Patriots love Givens for his production and work ethic, they are concerned by the fact that he has missed time with various nagging injuries in his career. Word is New England would like to keep Givens and will make an offer to him. However, if a team blows him away with a lucrative deal, the Patriots would probably choose to fill the No. 2 receiver role through the draft rather than having to outbid the suitor."

Not saying that this isn't true, but it's hard to see how it's news. "We like **** but we won't pay an absurd price to keep him". Of whom might that not be said?

Isn't the maximum RFA tender something like $1.8mil, and a team would have to come up with two draft picks if they signed him?

oldrover said:
Isn't the maximum RFA tender something like $1.8mil, and a team would have to come up with two draft picks if they signed him?

I think he is a URFA this year. They did tender him last year at 1.4 mil I believe.

Nothing earth shattering there. I think that's about what all of us expected.

oldrover said:
He's an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Uh... hello?!?!?! I KNOW he's an UFA this year. They said LAST year he got the highest tender at $1.43m, and my understanding was that 1.43mil is NOT the highest tender as an RFA. There's one at 1.8mil that requires 2 #1 picks as comp.

UFA is a total FA unless you Franchise him (average of top five at position) or Transition him (average of top ten at position). But all the transition buys you is the right to match an offer.

If they had the cap money they could franchise him and try to trade him like with Tebucky - but withdraw the tag if they can't trade him. They'd need to fit his franchise number under the cap until a trade, though, and would also need to sign Adam as they can't both be franchised.

oldrover said:
Uh... hello?!?!?! I KNOW he's an UFA this year. They said LAST year he got the highest tender at $1.43m, and my understanding was that 1.43mil is NOT the highest tender as an RFA. There's one at 1.8mil that requires 2 #1 picks as comp.

I think that only applies if they tag him as Franchise. Then he would have to get the average pay of the top five WR.

I don't think there is any other way other than - Transition tag. I don't know what he compensation is on that.

There's no compensation for a Transition player, you just get the chance to match any offer.

oldrover said:

Yes, I believe you're absolutely right. As I recall Givens received the mid-level tender, not the top level -- the article is mistaken. No clue why so many posters misunderstood you.

Givens is going to the Redskins I fear... they'll offer him the big money, Patten's already there, and they need a solid #2 receiver to Santana Moss.

patchick said:
Yes, I believe you're absolutely right. As I recall Givens received the mid-level tender, not the top level -- the article is mistaken. No clue why so many posters misunderstood you.
Whether they were accurate about last year is irrelevant, he's a UFA now and the posts above this accurately describe the options the Patriots have.

khayos said:
Givens is going to the Redskins I fear... they'll offer him the big money, Patten's already there, and they need a solid #2 receiver to Santana Moss.

What will really bother me is if he goes to the Jets. I can definitely see it happening. I would not be suprised to see the Eagles try to sign him. They can easily afford to overpay a bit for him as far under the cap as they are. But then the Eagles could also try to get Reggie wayne.

oldrover said:

Actually, the highest level requires a 1st and a 3rd as comp.

patchick said:
Yes, I believe you're absolutely right. .... No clue why so many posters misunderstood you.

Patch, you are a howl! :)

Can't understand it either.

Expecting to get a #2 WR from the draft is NOT a wise thing.

I've got no problem with drafting a WR but its a bit of a crap shoot.

But apparently this reporter has never heard of Tony Simmons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes