Saints in Cooks 3 years
7-9
7-9
7-9

Patriots in those 3 years
Won SB
AFC Championship
Won SB
And there is the 8 million dollar question. Was it the losing he couldn't stand anymore? I will never dislike or view as a negative anyone who can't stand losing and holds all of his teammates to a higher standard. You listen to Micheal Irvin about the cowboys when he first got there. He would go home and cry after every game and went up to the coach "this guy that guy that guy and those ones HAVE to go if this franchise is ever gonna be anything" and he was right. Change the attitude change the team's winning percentage.

That's not what I heard about cooks. He was *****ing, to the media (never gonna fly in NE), about his stats IN A WIN. That is as selfish as they came and about as big a red flag as I have ever seen in regards to not being a patriot kind of player. Also it's not like he had some scrub QB throwing him the ball. Brees is a certain HOFer and at the top of that next tier down from GOAT. Now based on Pheriens recommendation, and he has seen way more then a 2 min clip to the media, the kid is hard working and passionate about winning so it is certainly possible this is overblown. Bill saw him up close and in person at joint practices and if he thinks Cooks is worth a first then that's plenty good enough for me. Not how I would run things if I was the GM (i agree with patsfanken flashy hood ornaments are a perk not a key component of winning) but that's why I am doing the 9-5 and Bill is a 7x Superbowl winner. Should be fun to watch

Have think that Edelman will be de-emphasized a little bit and Cooks emphasized. Cooks does a lot of what Edelman does, just better. Edelman is getting older too.

I think Edelman may end up being a little more of a move-the-chains guy and not have to go middle-deep nearly as often. And they can rotate Amendola in for him to keep both guys fresh. Of course you still have Hogan deep too, and Mitchell on the outside... and oh yeah there's Gronk and Allen too, oh and Gilly/Burkhead/White/Lewis who can ALL catch...

I honestly have no idea who is getting the ball this year.

I was never happy that we traded our first round pick for Cooks, or rather our #1 pick for ANY WR. However that being said the thought of making that decision and then NOT being able to keep him on the team for at least 2 years would be ludicrous. The Pats simply HAVE to pick up that 5th yeaer option.

BTW-I hope the "game day boys" have some patience with Cooks. (and I hope Cooks has some patience with this offense) If all goes to plan I don't see him putting up the same numbers as he did in NO. There are just too many other targets available for Brady and only one ball. Brandin could have a great season of us, but not get 1000 yds and some might call it a failure. That would be a mistake.

You still seem sour about cooks. I do believe cooks is easily worth # 32 pick. Cooks is a rare young elite talent whose cost controlled. Lastly, if you think no wide receiver is worth a first round draft pick, then you greatly underrate the position . Enjoy the draft, look forward to your post game observations next year.

Given the receiving possibilities at the WR, TE, and RB positions, I find it difficult to believe ANYONE is going to be a "feature" receiver on this team. And given the factors that drove him out of NO, I worry about that here.

Think abou it. While b!tching all year about wanting the ball more, Cooks put up over 1100 yds in receiving. How is he going to react when he's putting up even less on a winning team. That's the question we are all waiting on

No question that having him on the team makes our offense more difficult to defend and his presence will open up the field for other receivers to thrive. HOWEVER the question the Pats would love to have the answer to before they pick up the option they know they HAVE to pick up, is will he be happy making fewer catches and fewer yards yet constantly play for superbowls.

Personally I think he will end up being a very effective 2 year blip on our radar. A receiver who made everyone else around him better even though he didn't put up huge numbers himself. He will leave here to get a big money deal elsewhere, and the Pats will be left trying to fill the hole not having that first round pick left.

The bottom line for me is that, yes, he made the offense better, but just not first round pick better. JMHO

Brandon Cooks will dominate in this offense. He will produce over the next couple years far more than a # 32 overall would. Not to mention cooks is a proven pro bowl talent despite being younger than many players still in the NFL draft. We got a steal, a young superstud whose cost controlled. I have no doubt cooks will put up huge numbers with Brady. Cooks numbers will not decrease imo, they won't. Cooks can beat any type of coverage with his speed and skills.

When has BB ever given up a first round pick for a player before? He knows what he's doing trust him, trust in BB.

And there is the 8 million dollar question. Was it the losing he couldn't stand anymore? I will never dislike or view as a negative anyone who can't stand losing and holds all of his teammates to a higher standard. You listen to Micheal Irvin about the cowboys when he first got there. He would go home and cry after every game and went up to the coach "this guy that guy that guy and those ones HAVE to go if this franchise is ever gonna be anything" and he was right. Change the attitude change the team's winning percentage.

That's not what I heard about cooks. He was *****ing, to the media (never gonna fly in NE), about his stats IN A WIN. That is as selfish as they came and about as big a red flag as I have ever seen in regards to not being a patriot kind of player. Also it's not like he had some scrub QB throwing him the ball. Brees is a certain HOFer and at the top of that next tier down from GOAT. Now based on Pheriens recommendation, and he has seen way more then a 2 min clip to the media, the kid is hard working and passionate about winning so it is certainly possible this is overblown. Bill saw him up close and in person at joint practices and if he thinks Cooks is worth a first then that's plenty good enough for me. Not how I would run things if I was the GM (i agree with patsfanken flashy hood ornaments are a perk not a key component of winning) but that's why I am doing the 9-5 and Bill is a 7x Superbowl winner. Should be fun to watch

Cooks is an incredible player. Just relax, sit back and enjoy the show. Cooks is a special special player, you will not be dissapointed.

I expect Brandon Lloyd-esque numbers from Cooks this year..........and that doesn't mean bad.........900 yards on this offense isn't bad. Cooks has the talent it just comes down to number of targets.

You wonder when other team's will realize that the joint practices during training camp and before the practice games are actually advanced scouting activities for the Pats. Just like they scout college players who they have no chance or intention of drafting, in case they are available as cuts or after their first contract.

The Pats have more info on NFL players and prospects in their scouting database than the NSA has on everyone else.

This thread is a perfect example of why you shouldn't come to this site and half pay attention to what you're looking at. I just glanced at the title as I was doing something else and read "......Cooks.......released."

Hopefully my heart will start beating again soon.

Would be nice to see if he has a grasp of the playbook
That's the only thing I'd say piques my interest. The talent is there. Some just get it and some don't. With that said, I think he'll get it. The Saints, while different, run a complex offense as well. I've always viewed them as more of a vertical team, though. We'll see.

As far as the option, that's getting picked up for sure... unless they've already been talking a new deal.

I expect Brandon Lloyd-esque numbers from Cooks this year..........and that doesn't mean bad.........900 yards on this offense isn't bad. Cooks has the talent it just comes down to number of targets.

people just have no idea how good cooks is. If I were a betting man, I would wager a lot of money cooks finishes with well over 1000 yards Receiving in this offense.

That's the only thing I'd say piques my interest. The talent is there. Some just get it and some don't. With that said, I think he'll get it. The Saints, while different, run a complex offense as well. I've always viewed them as more of a vertical team, though. We'll see.

As far as the option, that's getting picked up for sure... unless they've already been talking a new deal.

This isn't addressed toward you, but some people need to stop worrying about a 23 year old superstar picking up this offense. He is a very very smart WR. Cooks is a film junkie

From "Big Promise of Brandin Cooks"

"The middle of Oregon is a long way from Westwood. Before his senior year of high school began, Cooks committed to UCLA, where his good friend Phil Ruhl was already playing. When Cooks started watching Bruins games that fall, he quickly realized there might be a problem. At the time, UCLA was running most of its plays out of the pistol formation, and its receivers spent the majority of the plays as wide-aligning offensive linemen.

That same season, Oregon State played two of its first three games on national TV against top-10 teams. As he watched, Cooks noticed a 5-foot-7 Beaver named James Rodgers tearing up the field. Oregon State played a sophisticated offense with a sophisticated route tree, but also one that favored the fly sweep — a handoff to an in-motion wide receiver — that was a college football craze at the time. “What I liked about the pro-style offense, you’re running routes,” Cooks says. “Me, not being very big, what was going to separate me from other receivers is route-running ability.”

During a September bye week, Locey was passing through Stockton on a recruiting swing when he decided to stop by Lincoln to see Brian Gray. During the visit, Gray mentioned that Cooks had been rethinking his choice and that Locey should reach out. He did, and Cooks admitted that Oregon State had caught his eye. “He actually paid attention as a 17-year-old to his fit as a football player,” Riley says. “Most kids at that age are kind of enamored with the surface stuff with recruiting. He based his decision on things of substance. He knew why he was doing it.”

Brent Brennan was only a couple of months into the job as Oregon State’s wide receivers coach when he got his first text message from Brandin Cooks: What do I have to do to come in and start? “It was one of those cliché answers,” Cooks says. “‘Work hard, learn the playbook.’ But I really wanted to know!”

Cooks spent most weekends during his final high school semester shuttling back and forth to Corvallis. He’d sleep on Rodgers’s couch, in part to save money, but also because Rodgers had the playbook. Cooks attended morning meetings, to the bemusement of older players who couldn’t understand why someone who didn’t have to be there would be. The week of Oregon State’s spring game, which happened to fall during spring break, Cooks was constantly tangled up in Brennan’s feet.

“He wanted to know how we call our formations, how we call plays, what part of the play spoke specifically to him,” Brennan says. “He’s like, ‘Well, when you say this, what part of the play is that?’ He was just hanging out watching practice. But he was just really, really focused.”

A coach’s days during fall camp are long. By the time Brennan got to the one-on-one segments of practice, it was well past midnight. The mind plays tricks that late. Somehow, Brennan thought he saw Cooks pitted against Jordan Poyer and Rashaad Reynolds, the team’s two best cornerbacks, whenever his turn came. It didn’t make sense. The next day, he saw why. “He was letting people cut in front of him, so that he can go against the best guy on our team,” Brennan says. “Normally, true freshmen don’t choose the toughest matchup on the field. He chose it every time. When I realized it, I was like, ‘You’ve got to be kidding.’”

Hopefully after you read that article above, this will settle down any concerns about whether or not he has the intelligence, work ethic, and heart to learn our offense

Last edited:
See above

Some people are looking at it the wrong way.

Cooks = less targets for everyone else. Not the other way around

Edelman isn't gonna see 160 targets again like he did last year

I think it will be a reduction for all. Both Edelman and Cooks won't see the amount of targets they saw last year.

Might be easier to think about this in terms of target distribution (rather than receptions) per game by position.

In the 2016 regular season, 550 targets were distributed as follows:

RB = 8.1
TE = 7.1 (5 tgts/game pre-Gronk, 10 tgts while Gronk was active, 4 tgts after Gronk re-injured)
WR = 18.8

Season avg = 34 tgts/game, but 36 tgts/game with Brady at QB

NOTES:
... RBs saw double digit target games 6 times (19 targets wk-12 at NYJ)
... TEs saw double digit target games only 4 times, and only while Gronk was active.
... Bennett averaged 4.6 tgts/game, slightly less after Gronk went to IR
... Edelman averaged 10 tgts/game (normal is about 9.6)
... other WRs combined averaged about 9 tgts/game (Hogan 3.9, Mitchell 3.4, Amendola 2.3)

Over the past three seasons in Indy, Allen averaged about 3.4 tgts/game active.

Over the Past three seasons in NOLA, Cooks has averaged 7.5 tgts per game active.

So, in order to "feed" Cooks his 7.5 tgts/game without increasing total pass attempts/game above 34 ...
- 1.2 tgts/game come from the Bennett to Allen Swap
- Amendola may be reduced by 1.3 tgts
- RBs may be reduced by 1 tgt
- Edelman gets reduced by 4 tgts
Hogan, Mitchell and Gronk stay about the same.

With Brady at QB, there are an additional 2 tgts/game to distribute, so Edelman may only decrease from 10 to 7 while Cooks sees an additional tgt/game (average).

And Brady could simply throw an average of 37 times/game instead of 36.

Here were the avg tgts/game active for each regular pass-catcher:

Edelman = 10 (per game active)
White = 5.4
Gronk = 4.8
Bennett = 4.6
Hogan = 3.9
Mitchell = 3.4
Lewis = 3.4
Amendola = 2.3

Agree. JE11 and Gronk will be the most impacted.

I figure they are going to run it 500 times and throw it 550 times next year.

Targets
Cooks-110
JE11-90
Gronk- 80
White 60
MM-60
Hogan 50
DLew-40
DA-30
Rest- 30

Cant this get cut prior to next season anyway with little to no cap hit? No brainer to pick it up.

Sure, they just have to extend him, the problem will be his asking price, and I'm guessing it will be huge. I love Cooks and I'm glad they made the deal but re-signing him is going to be really tough. He's going to want top dollar and that's 15 million per with 50 guaranteed, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST