PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PRESEASON GAME DAY THREAD (8/22): Patriots vs. Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Gibson. Good tackle by Swann though.

Gibson is a great fit for us as a depth WR. He can play inside and outside. His presence gives me security during the regular season.

Man the O-line is going to get ripped at half time.

I remember in 2011 basically every mock draft had us getting both Cameron Jordan and Mark Ingram. The Saints took Jordan and we traded our later pick to them and they used it on Ingram. Instead we got Solder and RI Dowling.

ugh

Nice stretch by Gibson.

Man, great tackling in the Saints secondary on that drive.

The question was "would we still rather have McC over Dez ?" Anyone can see that Dez is more talented, more athletic, and more of a difference maker. But this team needs a McC waaaaay more than it needs a Dez. This offense is fine. What it needs to be successful is solid defenders to get Brady on the field as much as possible. McC is a solid leader who puts his team first. Would anyone on here be surprised if Dez does something crazy and is suspended ? He is an amazing athlete - but I get the impression Dez loves him some him...

More talented? Maybe. More of a difference maker? Sure.
More athletic? I think not, sir.

If you go back to their pro-day and combine results, Devin ran a faster 40, 20 yd shuttle and 3-cone (by 4 tenths of a second).

Dez's 20-yard and 10-yard splits were fractionally better than Devin's, as was his broad jump and vertical leap.

You could make the argument that Dez is more explosive than Devin, but Devin has the edge in speed and agility.

And for what it's worth, Devin did two more reps of 225 XD.

(Source, DMac)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75877&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB

(Source, Dez)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68811&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

TL;DR Dez is not the athlete that McCourty is, even if he has more talent and production thus far in his career.

P.S. I'm very high on Devin McCourty (if you didn't gather as much from my reply).

Surprised Bill didn't go for it on 4th and 1 as this seems to be a "humiliate the OL" training game.

I don't think we're watching the same game. There's a defender in his face almost right after he touches the ball, or they're trying these stretch plays where the Saints are just beating our O-line to the gaps. There's not much he can do but try to wiggle and hope to get something out of nothing.

You're right. Scratch my thought, lol. gray's at negative yards too. Geez OL.

I remember in 2011 basically every mock draft had us getting both Cameron Jordan and Mark Ingram. The Saints took Jordan and we traded our later pick to them and they used it on Ingram. Instead we got Solder and RI Dowling.

ugh
Solder is a real good player. I wish Goodell would have taken the Dowling pick away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back