PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Expanded Rosters (this season)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point about direct assignment to the PS at a PS salary not being a good thing for a player who might otherwise be claimed by another team. There are two possible solutions: 1. do away with the split contract and have the same salary as if on the 53 man roster or 2. have a revocable waiver system that a rookie would have to pass through before assignment to PS. If another team claimed him, his original team could pull him back from waivers but have to pay him the rookie minimum rather than the PS salary.

I do not think the "union" would be opposed to these ideas. Each team would still have 61 players as they had in 2010, so the money would not be spread over more players. Actually, the EXISTING members of the "NFLPA" would be getting a bigger piece of the pie than otherwise because 100+ (say 3-4 per team) existing members would still have jobs come Labor Day rather than losing them to rookies as would be case under the current rules.

Again, either way you're potentially adding a million or more to payrolls and under a tighter cap that won't fly with either side.

I still think roster & PS exemptions is the way to go this season to accommodate draftees and UDFA's while creating a little space for FA. It's not a given most of these guys will see a field this season after losing all of the organized off season for assimilation and basic installation. TC and possibly even preseason may be structured a little differently than in past seasons because so little ground work will have been done prior to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back