PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Postons bluffed on AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Pioli, BB.

Make the dude an offer you can live with.

If he doesn't take it, end the madness.

Law can not afford another one year deal. This is it! The last one!

So you make Law a multy year offer you deam fair. Give him 24 hours. After that, if he doesn't take it, announce you have moved on!

ANd don't ever look back!

And then get to work on the far more important matter of Deion Branch's contract!

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
The well-placed source was Kevin Poston.

That's just your opinion. Kevin wasn't even Ty's agent a week ago - Carl is when his achilles isn't ruptured. And it's the Globe and specifically Nick Cafardo that has a hard wired line to the Poston's, not Felger or the Herald. His source is likely either someone in the Pats management (could be Stacey James or even as high up the food chain as Jonathan) or one of the players (although it's less likely they know about actual offers unless it's Brady or Seymour who know via Ty).

Belichick did keep in touch with him last season right up until he signed. He may not enjoy paying Ty but he has always enjoyed coaching him. Fans have a hard time seperating the two aspects of Ty. Last night Rosie was interviewed on NECN and he talked about how he had never played with an elite CB before he got here and saw both Ty's confident swagger and the things he could do on the field. He said it would be storybook to have him back.

If the Pats weren't in it now they would have leaked a denial ala AZ or KC if for no other reason than to bust the Postons balls and make them look (more) stupid. Other media have had their various sources confirm pretty much what Felger has heard. They were discussing it on WEEI late today. And they also talked about how draining Ty has told friends he found it playing for that JETS team last season. Ty, and more specifically the Poston's, are just playing out the hand lest a stray dollar get left off the table. Carl Poston obviously would as soon have both achilles removed without anesthesia as see Ty Law end up re-signing with the Pats. The Poston's will shake every tree for as long as he lets them to try and find a better sounding deal. They likely won't, because he is more valuable to the Pats since he is intimately familiar with the system and the personnel.

Unlike their frustrated fans, the Pats are in no great rush to get this done - it's not like there is another CB or even FA acquisition to move on to. Although likely they would prefer to get it done before it somehow unravels. And as for it interfering with Branch's deal, pahleese....Pioli can chew gum and walk. Everyone in this organization can or they wouldn't be here. And what they pay a db has no bearing on what they pay their #1 WR. Branch will get what he's worth to them, period, as will Ty. It's simply a matter of whether either will take what the team offers.

Great perspective. Makes reading the Forum worthwhile.

MoLewisrocks said:
That's just your opinion.

Belichick did keep in touch with him last season right up until he signed.
And that is yours. Great.

MoLewisrocks said:
If the Pats weren't in it now they would have leaked a denial ala AZ or KC
If your opinion is based on this, re-think it. Name two times BB has done this since he has been here. He NEVER confirms or denies stories. Did you hear him come out and say he did not have a standing offer on the table? I missed that press conference. One time he denied a rumor, and that is when Borges said BB was prepared to trade his entire draft picks to SD to draft Sean taylor, and BB said it was ridulous. But that was Borges.

BB is very happy to let Law or anyone drive up the price. The more the Jets spent on law last year, the less they had for other players.

BB doesn't deny rumors. And I think you know that.

MoLewisrocks said:
Other media have had their various sources confirm pretty much what Felger has heard. They were discussing it on WEEI late today. .
What sources? See how it goes. Poston (either one) or Ty say, all the outlets pick it up. There are so many people talking about it, that people say, "Wow, it has to be true because everyone says it is. It is a giant media feedback loop, everyone feeding into everyone else. There is NOTHING, not ONE THING to verify that any of itis true. And several indications that Law is tweaking the media.

Yesterday you and everyone else was convinced that AZ and NE were in competition for Law. Why? Because all the outlets said they were. Okay, not AZ has said, "Not us" and because the pats haven't done the same thing, you regard it as proof.

It isn't proof.

Just because everyone regurgitates the same crap does not make it true. Until there is a source, there is no source.

The emperor has no clothes.

One of the guys on PFW radio seemed to be confident of his sources that the Patriots have an offer on the table to Ty and his reps. Go ahead and see what you can get, this is our offer. Hopefully, he doesn't get much more and we bring him back to Foxboro at a price we think is reasonable. That would be fantastic.

MoLewisrocks said:
That's just your opinion. Kevin wasn't even Ty's agent a week ago - Carl is when his achilles isn't ruptured. And it's the Globe and specifically Nick Cafardo that has a hard wired line to the Poston's, not Felger or the Herald. His source is likely either someone in the Pats management (could be Stacey James or even as high up the food chain as Jonathan) or one of the players (although it's less likely they know about actual offers unless it's Brady or Seymour who know via Ty).

Belichick did keep in touch with him last season right up until he signed. He may not enjoy paying Ty but he has always enjoyed coaching him. Fans have a hard time seperating the two aspects of Ty. Last night Rosie was interviewed on NECN and he talked about how he had never played with an elite CB before he got here and saw both Ty's confident swagger and the things he could do on the field. He said it would be storybook to have him back.

If the Pats weren't in it now they would have leaked a denial ala AZ or KC if for no other reason than to bust the Postons balls and make them look (more) stupid. Other media have had their various sources confirm pretty much what Felger has heard. They were discussing it on WEEI late today. And they also talked about how draining Ty has told friends he found it playing for that JETS team last season. Ty, and more specifically the Poston's, are just playing out the hand lest a stray dollar get left off the table. Carl Poston obviously would as soon have both achilles removed without anesthesia as see Ty Law end up re-signing with the Pats. The Poston's will shake every tree for as long as he lets them to try and find a better sounding deal. They likely won't, because he is more valuable to the Pats since he is intimately familiar with the system and the personnel.

Unlike their frustrated fans, the Pats are in no great rush to get this done - it's not like there is another CB or even FA acquisition to move on to. Although likely they would prefer to get it done before it somehow unravels. And as for it interfering with Branch's deal, pahleese....Pioli can chew gum and walk. Everyone in this organization can or they wouldn't be here. And what they pay a db has no bearing on what they pay their #1 WR. Branch will get what he's worth to them, period, as will Ty. It's simply a matter of whether either will take what the team offers.

It's good to see someone has a clue on how the media works. Look, these guys at the Herald and the Globe know the Postons are slimeballs as much or more than anyone in this forum. They're not going to simply call up the Postons and regurgitate their talking points without at least making an attempt to confirm it through another source within the organization. We can debate how well placed that source really is, but there is a source somewhere that is not named Poston or Law.

I understand that Ty is a touchy subject around here and so are the Postons. But I have no trouble believing that Ty has talked to BB and that maybe they are moving into a talking numbers phase. Whether or not any of it pans out in the form of a contract is another story.

Believe what you like space. But BB did acknowledge that he had spoken to Ty off and on last off season. And the Pats did inform their media contacts PDQ last summer that the $26M offer Poston's were alluding to was no longer on the table. Why? Because when contract prices get artificially driven up it just makes it tougher for the fiscally responsible teams like us to do business down the road.

And as I recall in a pre draft PC he recently denied Javon Walker was in Boston or had been to Gillette or that he had seen or spoken to him. That's two. BB doesn't tend to do it in PC as some of the media whore HC's do. But the organization does get information out whenever and however it suits them. Just like even though they don't discuss contract negotiations Jonathan Kraft let slip on the radio that they had offered AV a deal that would keep him the highest paid PK in the league (well not exactly but the fans got the team friendly spin he intended).

Your contention seems to be if sources for stories aren't identified the story is obviously bogus, and in this case attributable to a Poston. That's just silly. Some sources may be more reliable than others but few want to be identified even when what they are leaking is by design. Doesn't mean they don't exist or the information is calculated disinformation.

Tom Curren never revealed his source who told him exclusively in some detail that Brady's deal had hit a snag - yet it was dead on. Because in that case the source was Brady's camp leaking correct information to subtely deliver a message to the franchise. Club sources had been consistently leaking to all media outlets incorrect information that a Brady deal was done and just awaiting announcement. And because it wasn't Brady was becomming mildly annoyed. The fallout from that 1 article got the sides talking to each other rather than through the media and working actively on a solution and the deal was actually then done within a few weeks.

I know you don't want Ty back. That isn't what this is all about. It's gone past that now. Our opinions don't influence them. They want him back. They never wanted him to leave - just couldn't justify retaining him with a $12.5M cap charge against an $85M cap. Whether or not they will get him back or at what price is still debateable.

patsox23 said:
One of the guys on PFW radio seemed to be confident of his sources that the Patriots have an offer on the table to Ty and his reps. Go ahead and see what you can get, this is our offer. Hopefully, he doesn't get much more and we bring him back to Foxboro at a price we think is reasonable. That would be fantastic.

I don't think there's any way the Patriots gave Law a contract proposal to use as leverage against other teams. That doesn't seem to be the way they operate. If they talked contract at all, I'll wager it was an offer that disappeared as soon as Ty left the room, and won't be that high again.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
I don't think there's any way the Patriots gave Law a contract proposal to use as leverage against other teams. That doesn't seem to be the way they operate. If they talked contract at all, I'll wager it was an offer that disappeared as soon as Ty left the room, and won't be that high again.
Maybe..as was stated before..I think there may be one on the table..and Ty may come back to it if he can't get higher..He also wants to play with a team in that is in the playoffs...KC?? AZ?? SD?? NE??? I would pick NE..esp since he knows the system..and the deal..

MoLewisrocks said:
Unlike their frustrated fans, the Pats are in no great rush to get this done - it's not like there is another CB or even FA acquisition to move on to.

Exactly. There's no great rush, and there's no real problem with waiting. Ty may sign here, but I doubt the Pats are keeping much on hold because of him. If BB and Pioli got frustrated with agents' antics, they'd be working at a bank by now.

Ty's a pretty good starting corner now. No more, no less. He's not the type of guy to change a defense, but he can help. If there's one thing in which I have total confidence in the management of the Patriots, it's in knowing the value of a player and not letting that player interfere with any other plans. Or is that two things?

I still think he ends up here, but I'm not pulling my hair out over it either way.

MoLewisrocks said:
Believe what you like space.
Here is what I believe: I believe the pats never had an open offer to Ty law of $26 million last year. I believe that and other shenanigans (like claiming the Chiefs had a $6 mil offer on teh table) last year were done solely for the purpose of driving up his price.

I believe that this year Ty has done the same thing.

I do NOT elieve that the Seahawks have a offer as was reported earlier in the press, and denied later by Seattle.

I do NOT believe that KC had an offer made to Ty was was widely reported and later denied by Edwards.

I do NOT believe the widely reported (and musch discussed by the media) bannouncement that Ty left his golod course because he was close to a deal with Arizona with NE with NE the other suitor. (THis was later denied by Arizona)

I do NOT believe that KC jumped into the bidding war as was widely reproted after Arizona issued a denial. KC later denied this also.

You are free to think that Arizona, Seattle, and KC are all lying and that they are deep into a bidding war for Ty's services. These were all news reports at one time, all attributed to "sources."

But all have been denied by the teams involved. All except the Pats, that is.

I have two choices:

1. I can believe that Law manipulated the other teams for his benefit, but spoke the truth about NE, and the rationale for believing this as you said in an earlier post is that if it were untrue, the Pats would have denied it.

2. I can say, "You know, there is a pattern here about manipuation of the press, and the only basis of believing Ty is that the Pats have not issued a denial. And you know, come to think of it, the pats rearely confirm or deny any on-going negotiations, so their silence means nothing."

As you say, I can believe what I want. What I believe is the only thing that makes sense. That Ty and the Postons are absolute masters of manipulation.

True, I would rather not see Ty back here, but if he is signed, I will swallow hard and say, "In BB I Trust."

When the pats won their first SB, I was so happy, I gave BB a five year free pass. I figured that even if he did nothing good for five years, he was still THE MAN for winning a SB. This is year 5 of his free pass. (I will figure out later how much I aplpreciate the second and third SB wins)

spacecrime said:
When the pats won their first SB, I was so happy, I gave BB a five year free pass. I figured that even if he did nothing good for five years, he was still THE MAN for winning a SB. This is year 5 of his free pass. (I will figure out later how much I aplpreciate the second and third SB wins)
Belichick should get a lifetime pass for winning 3 SB in 4 years IMO. He does from me, that's for sure.

BelichickFan said:
Belichick should get a lifetime pass for winning 3 SB in 4 years IMO. He does from me, that's for sure.
Absolutely...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes