PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post links to all worthwhile Super Bowl LI breakdowns here

Status
Not open for further replies.

slam

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If you're like me, you have a neverending appetite to relive the game and figure out how the heck that happened. So whether web page, video, or podcast, lets post all of the good X's and O's breakdowns we can find on this thread. I'll start.

Short and sweet, Willie McGinest breaks down two key defensive plays. The Flowers sack to take them out of field goal range had an assist from Jabal Sheard who did not rush but "peeled" to delay the releasing RB, which was McGinest's job often in the Rams Super Bowl. The Hightower strip sack shows all the traffic going on, with Ninkovich looping inside and Chung to the inside of Hightower. Hightower was so wide and there was so much else to see, Freeman just missed him.

This guy had two great video breakdowns. This one was about Brady.

Greg Cosell's column on Shutdown Corner. Great explanation of a lot of things, particularly how Atlanta disguised the coverage on the pick six.
Greg Cosell's Super Bowl Review

Inside the Pylon is always great. This one focuses on James White.
Inside the Pylon: James White Did His Job

Pats Propaganda is more description than diagrams, but a good accounting for the defense.
Pats Propaganda Film Review: Defense Edition

Mike Lombardi left the "Make Me Smarter" podcast but appeared here the day after the Super Bowl:
Bill Simmons' post Super Bowl Podcast with Mike Lombardi

The ExPats Podcast had Jerod Mayo on hand to break it down. Loved Mayo admitting that upon first glance James White wasn't impressive.
ExPats Podcast

And of course patsfans.com home podcast
Patriots 4th and 2

That's a good start. There are dozens out there, and I want to compile them all for posterity, so please add any you've come across. I'm still hoping for Football Outsiders' Word of Muth column to shed some light on the OL play for both sides and Matt Chatham to put forth something.

The Peter King interview with Tom Brady here: Tom Brady Breaks Down Super Bowl 51 | The MMQB with Peter King features excellent analysis by Brady of several plays.

The most notable is the first Amendola touchdown, where Brady describes exactly why he moved Amendola left a few steps presnap (the cornerback was misplaced and didn't pay attention to Amendola for some reason, like a reverse Freeman/Hightower). I believe that part begins about 12 minutes into the podcast. Brady also has excellent insight into the direct snap to White, the 21 yard Amendola pass right after the Edelman Catch, and the Hogan play near the end.

As a spoiler, after the Edelman catch Atlanta lost a T.O. on challenge just before the 2m warning. So Brady instructed Andrews to snap immediately, which caught the D off guard a bit. You can see it in the replay (or maybe just the all 22) that the cornerback guarding Amendola gets a bit confused by the quick snap. This also illustrates how confused Atlanta got by situational football.

Last edited:
Thanks putting this all together. I don't know how I missed this thread.

Thanks putting this all together. I don't know how I missed this thread.
Well, there was kind of a lot of traffic on the message board for some reason recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back