PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Who takes Edelman's spot on the roster?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who takes Julian Edelman's roster spot?

• Austin Carr

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • D.J. Foster

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Devin Lucien

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • A veteran not currently on the roster

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Some other player currently on the Pats roster

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogan, Mitchell, and Amendola all missed time last year. If you have WR5 on the PS, then you only have three WRs dressed, or you have to release/IR another player to add WR5.
That's my point you would dress 3 wr on this roster if 1 of the 4 were injured

Having to release a player if you need a ps guy is a better problem than cutting him now to carry the guy who won't see the field.

I am surprise DW Toys hasn't mentioned CJ! He did work out for the raiders.

Tough question, as JE11 covered three roles (including break-glass-in-emergency QB). I think Cy Jones covers Edelman's PR duties and more (taking pressure off Amendola), and Cooks and Gronk divide most of his WR targets (JE wasn't in the slot most of the year and got 156 targets). In terms of roster spots I'm not sure they go beyond 4 WR, or 5 including Slater. Of the guys who are here, Carr seems to have a lot to offer but he's such a project, I see him on the PS, but maybe he turns into the backup slot guy. Lucien looks good and might be kept if Mitchell can't go. I think the spot itself goes to someone at a different position.

Mark Lengel, the guy who caught a TD in that Jets slaughter

Carr will be on the 53 as a result of JE11's IR stint.

I say you can get Austin if you can convince the Rams to eat some salary.

An NFL team cannot pay part of the salary of the player they are trading, the way other sports such as baseball do. The only way to get around that would be to rewrite the contract before the trade by converting salary and roster bonuses to signing bonuses.

If the Rams are going to take that hit to both their salary cap and bank account, from their perspective they may as well just keep Austin.

I wonder if perhaps the Pats will use 2-TE sets more often than they would've before the JE injury. Instead of trying to use Amendola way more and potentially risking injury to him, they could perhaps use Allen (and maybe O'Shaughnessy) more to balance it out a bit more.

An NFL team cannot pay part of the salary of the player they are trading, the way other sports such as baseball do. The only way to get around that would be to rewrite the contract before the trade by converting salary and roster bonuses to signing bonuses.

IIRC, either HOU was or CLE is willing to do that to move Broken Lobster.

I agree that Carr should develop. That means snaps and targets in real games. The big question? Can he beat the DB off the line like JE. I worry about Dola if he can hold up.

Unlike many, I see Ealy as a value the more snaps he sees. Perhaps they found a niche for him now. He might be the player that Easley was supposed to be as an internal line disruption.
I would opt for Hurns if he can be had on the cheap but can he play the "quick slot" that the Pats use? Hurns is tall 6'3" and lanky.

Here is an interesting trade. I am sure he is available but his CAP number this year is high.
How about Tavon Austin? 58 catches last year with a rookie QB, and 28 runs with 5.7 yard average. He is also a punt returner with almost 375 yards last year, He's durable. 4.3 second 40 (Patriots WR will have mega-speed). He sits behind Cooper Kupp on the depth chart and the Rams added Watkins. Rams have needs on D line (hold out+injuries) and with some of our new members (other than Ealy) maybe a trade works? Malcom Brown? He has been invisible for three games.

A five receiver set with Cooks , Austin, Hogan, Dola (Mitchell) and Gronk?

I say you can get Austin if you can convince the Rams to eat some salary. They also have the youngster Reynolds.

Austin is only 26. JE will be 32 upon his return and Dola older.

DW Toys
I would love a guy like Hurns, although I don't know what your definition of "cheap" is.

The issue, as always, is the faulty idea of bringing in an outside player and expecting him to contribute any time soon. They'll already have to deal with the learning curve from Cooks, and he's been here all spring and summer. While I don't think it's an issue, there will most certainly be times where the 2 aren't on the same page. It takes preparation and constant practice. More importantly, it takes time.

Aside from the 2006 stretch + postseason when there weren't any real options (really...), who else have you seen come in and work well in a matter of 6-8 weeks? I can't think of anyone. Even a guy like Austin Collie who basically knew the framework of the offense had to spend 15 hours a day in the bowels of Gillette stadium, trying to learn the playbook and verbiage for over a month. He worked with McDaniels and Brady, all day, everyday. His production was limited to a handful of catches, and that was during a season that saw Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson as the main two WRs.

I'm surprised that people still buy into the "we'll just make a trade and plug/play" at the position of WR, after all of these years. If they did choose to do that, they'd have one helluva project on their hands for a long time. Perhaps that player could realistically contribute after the mid-point bye week down the stretch and into the (hopeful) postseason.

Here is an interesting trade. I am sure he is available but his CAP number this year is high.
How about Tavon Austin? 58 catches last year with a rookie QB, and 28 runs with 5.7 yard average. He is also a punt returner with almost 375 yards last year, He's durable. 4.3 second 40 (Patriots WR will have mega-speed). He sits behind Cooper Kupp on the depth chart and the Rams added Watkins. Rams have needs on D line (hold out+injuries) and with some of our new members (other than Ealy) maybe a trade works? Malcom Brown? He has been invisible for three games.

To take this salary dump for a player who hasnt done **** in his entire time in this league the Rams would need to give us their second round pick (Osweiler style). You have written a lot of batshit crazy stuff in the past but this one might be the most insane trade proposal yet. Wow

I am surprise DW Toys hasn't mentioned CJ! He did work out for the raiders.

CJ didnt work out for anybody. He visited Raiders camp and watched practice. The Lions have his rights so he cant work out or play for anyone but them.

I'm surprised that people still buy into the "we'll just make a trade and plug/play" at the position of WR, after all of these years. If they did choose to do that, they'd have one helluva project on their hands for a long time. Perhaps that player could realistically contribute after the mid-point bye week down the stretch and into the (hopeful) postseason.

Because those people dont understand the complexity of football, how the Pats offense (or defense) works (despite multiple great, in-depth articles on it) or salary cap implications. They dont know the difference between what a RDE and LDE in the Pats defense have to do, what the role of an inside corner is and usually are the ones who also dont appreciate the value of players like DMac.

Most of those are lazy, fantasy-era fans. And in two weeks the insane asylum opens up again every week for them to ***** about playcalling and whoever happens to be the scapegoat de jour. Can't wait..

I'm shocked no one has cried "pitchers & catchers" yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST