OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which would you choose

• Keep pick #33 and choose a player

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Trade pick #33 to move down just a couple spots and pick up a low round pick in 2011 or 2012

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Trade pick #33 completely away in return for a 1st rounder in 2012

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Tell BB that he's the greatest ever, stammer about and accidently hand up the phone

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends on who they like.

Since I thought they would want a 34 end in this draft, I am tired of guessing. We let two of the better prospects at that position go to our rivals, so we obviously were not interested in those players - or at least I hope not. Belichick does not make risks like that.

I'm not in love with anybody at 33 that we can't get later in round 2 - so I'm OK w/ trading back. I'm tired of trading into future years though.

As I said on the other board, when you break down what we really got in exchange for the #26 pick in 2009, it's rather paltry. Now, I wouldn't have wanted Clay Matthews, but the only irreplaceable piece we got out of it was Gronk. And even him, I am sure we could have found another way to trade up and get him if we wanted.

When you consider how replaceable Butler, Brace and Tate have been to this point - and how we essentially got Gronk for a 2009 3rd round pick, you wonder why a 1st round pick ever needed to be involved in the trade in the first place.

If we are going to trade out and back, we have to stop missing on the second rounders. Belichick has only truly missed on one first rounder in his time here, but the 2nd and 3rd rounds have not been so lucrative. So I do question the trade we made with the Saints last nite. There's a 50-50 chance that the guy we get with #56 does not contribute much in terms of value over replacement, in which case all we did was trade away one year of service of whoever we could've had at 28.

If they didn't love anybody at 28, fine. But I just want us to stay aggressive.

I don't want to cuss you out, but I'm losing my mind here: would you ******' stop it with Mathews already? Now you have Kiper going on and on...

Mathews is great. But he gets wiped out trying to set the edge. repeatedly. Yes he's a playmaker. But teams ran on him!!! He was roadkill. You'll have to ask Mike Tomlin why he didn't keep sending Mendenhall over Mathews, because Mathews was flattened trying to set the edge. He is a bad, bad, bad fit for the Patriots.

I want to trade it to either Washington or San Fran for this years 2nd and next years 2nd.

This will set us up to grab a nice center next year in either Mike Brewster or Peter Konz. I still think we get a great front 7 player in Jenkins or Ellis in the 2nd this year for the defense.

How does one accidentally "hand up" the phone, exactly?

You make a typo while trying to type "hang up" and fail to catch it before publishing the poll.

Where's the "whatever irritates Deus Irae most" option? That's the trouble with polling, they try to shape opinion and are rarely intended for gathering what people really think. :(

I wasn't trying to shape opinion, Box. It was a simple poll, with nothing leading.

I wasn't trying to shape opinion, Box. It was a simple poll, with nothing leading.

That's OK, Box is feeling his oats today with the Solder pick.:D

Lets see who wants Dalton bad enough. At this point in the draft, trading down a few spots from #33 is good move.

The best offer of course wins. Love the Fitzgerald scenario, but if you're netting a future of stored draft pick value that's fine too.

It's unclear to me whether it would be permissible to have a trade for a "player to be named later" today and then have that be Fitzgerald next week

I'm not of the opinion that we need someone of Fitzgerald's overall skill set and price tag - just a speedster who can beat his man deep and stretch the field, catch a screen pass and then burn everyone, and provide some blocking will suffice for me.

Although I know he's not perfect, that guy for me is Edmund Gates, who everyone projects as a third rounder - meaning if BB wants him, he might need to use a late 2nd. (Which would effectively mean our 1st round netted a starting OL, starting WR, and a 1st round pick in 2012 - which would not be a bad 1st round at all.)

I don't want to cuss you out, but I'm losing my mind here: would you ******' stop it with Mathews already? Now you have Kiper going on and on...

Mathews is great. But he gets wiped out trying to set the edge. repeatedly. Yes he's a playmaker. But teams ran on him!!! He was roadkill. You'll have to ask Mike Tomlin why he didn't keep sending Mendenhall over Mathews, because Mathews was flattened trying to set the edge. He is a bad, bad, bad fit for the Patriots.

Don't get me wrong...

I explicitly stated in my post I did not want Clay Matthews and still want nothing to do with him.

I never wanted him back then and still don't want him today. He sucks against the run, and at some point will get busted for the PEDs he is most obviously taking (his muscle mass looks all too familiar of the MLB roid era...).

I'm merely saying, that trade worked out heavily in Green Bay's favor in terms of ROI. Again I do NOT want Matthews on our squad. If you want to argue that Belichick didn't have any players on his board at that spot he liked - sure, then Belichick might've won, too. But there is something to be said for being aggressive as well.

In hindsight, we could have used Hakeem Nicks, who I was big on at the time, and is now a stud wideout. What Belichick thought of him, we won't ever know.

Last edited:
Ok, BB is desperate. He couldn't sleep last night because he was so torn about what to do with this pick. He decided to randomly dial phone numbers until he got a Patriots fan with knowledge of this year's draft, and you're the lucky person. He asks you to tell him what to do.

I would tell him to keep trying until he finds someone who has knowledge of this draft.

I'm glad to see your subtle sense of humor is still working. :p

Here's what I'm doing. I'm dialling Dan Snyder and Mike Shanahan and saying "Look, we got Arizona on the phone and they have the hots over Andy Dalton - those second round picks of yours look very nice, would you like to swap them along with next year's second rounder, for both of ours this year?"

Interesting tidbit I just read:

Apparently, the Bengals tried to work out a deal with the Packers last night, but the sides couldn't agree on compensation.

Sources: Bengals talked with Packers about 32nd pick, presumably for QB Andy Dalton but couldn't agree on compensation.

Twitter

With Buffalo picking ahead of Cincinnati, This sort of small drop down may still be in play.

Patriots are on the clock ..... selection is in Patriots with 33rd pick in the nfl draft the Patriots select Brooks Reed DE Arizona.

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit I just read:

Apparently, the Bengals tried to work out a deal with the Packers last night, but the sides couldn't agree on compensation.

Twitter

With Buffalo picking ahead of Cincinnati, This sort of small drop down may still be in play.

Indeed good sir, indeed. Demand is what drives the price of any commodity - the higher the demand, the bigger the price. If the Bengals, Card, Skins and 49 ers all want Dalton, we could end up dropping just a few spots, but picking up a very high draft pick in return.

You could see someone like the 49ers offering the #45 pick and next year's #2 in return. Or maybe even swap the #33 and #74 picks, for the #45 and their first rounder next year.

That's only if the demand is enough that is.

Indeed good sir, indeed. Demand is what drives the price of any commodity - the higher the demand, the bigger the price. If the Bengals, Card, Skins and 49 ers all want Dalton, we could end up dropping just a few spots, but picking up a very high draft pick in return.

You could see someone like the 49ers offering the #45 pick and next year's #2 in return. Or maybe even swap the #33 and #74 picks, for the #45 and their first rounder next year.

That's only if the demand is enough that is.

Yes - I've seen some other potential trades floated on other team websites that are using the "draft value chart" to determine what #33 is worth.

You'd think some of them might have a clue that you can throw out the draft trade chart for #33 entirely - this year more so than others.

#33 this year is worth a 1st next year (well, depending on the team and their chances of being among the worst I guess) easily, and then some.

In effect if a team wants #33 they need to look at what the Pats got for #28 and proceed from there - i.e. swap 2nd round picks and give a Top 10 protected #1 pick for next year.

I told him to get a hold of that cougar he was with a few years ago, get some massage oils and keep his hands busy. Patsfans has the draft completely under control.

Keep the pick and use it on Da'Quan Bowers now that the Jets got the DE who, IMO, would have been a good fit for us.

EDIT: Sorry, the sarcasm isn't exactly dripping off of this post. Let me add this: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Brooks Reed is 33

He will gt to QB make him panic and we will :)

why the hate? He is our guy.

1 dimensional??? Ok... your opinion.

He WILL make that QB Panic :D

edit

Panic brings about poor decisions... We do NT have that guy that can consistently bring a passrush

He has a FASTER 10 yard split than Von Miller. Pppl still hate???

Last edited:
NFL Network cited a rumor that the Raiders are looking to move up from 48 and the rumored compensation would be 33 + 125 for 48 and the Raiders first in 2012. There's no way the Raiders put two years in a row together like last year so if true I'd hop on it. If its true it also has to be Mallet. First round talent with a bit of a checked past has Al written all over it.

Patriots are on the clock ..... selection is in Patriots with 33rd pick in the nfl draft the Patriots select Brooks Reed DE Arizona.

Nah. If he doesn't trade it, #33will be for the best available guard / center hybrid on the board. BB's all about the Brady wall.

NFL Network cited a rumor that the Raiders are looking to move up from 48 and the rumored compensation would be 33 + 125 for 48 and the Raiders first in 2012. There's no way the Raiders put two years in a row together like last year so if true I'd hop on it. If its true it also has to be Mallet. First round talent with a bit of a checked past has Al written all over it.

Wow. So we'd have three first round picks in 2012? :eek: *cumz*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft