PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Point Blank. Is filiming opponents signals against the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a matter of fact, I did just that today to my buddy Steve, who is a Giants fan. He was surprised that filming signals wasn't actually against the rules. He was even more surprised that filming signals wasn't actually what the Pats were punished for. But, that said, we're not talking your average Joe here. My original point was that Kraft should have hammered both ESPN and the Herald for pushing their BS because they would have had to have answered for it. He didn't and the result is that, to this day, the pundits at ESPN are still pushing fallacies.

I had the same experience with a Giants fan this weekend. He was convinced that Spygate was about taping the Rams walkthrough. :(:confused:o_O:rolleyes::mad:

I honestly don't know on this one...the whole thing is ambiguous:

(from Your Team Cheats)

Article 9.1 (C) (14) of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL (p 39 of this pdf): No member shall: "Use at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which a club is a participant, any communications or information gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.” (Emphasis mine.)

That seems to say that videotaping is illegal, which makes little sense considering the sideline memo...I just am sick of the whole thing.

The freakin' rule for the LAST TIME

NFL's no-video rule
The "Game Operations Manual" states that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." The manual states that "all video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

Bookmark this link to the NFL Games Operation Manual

http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/

This is THE RULEBOOK

That implies that taping signals from the stands is illegal. That doesn't help matters here.

whatever

I honestly don't know on this one...the whole thing is ambiguous:

(from Your Team Cheats)

Article 9.1 (C) (14) of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL (p 39 of this pdf): No member shall: "Use at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which a club is a participant, any communications or information gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.” (Emphasis mine.)

That seems to say that videotaping is illegal, which makes little sense considering the sideline memo...I just am sick of the whole thing.

This contradiction has always existed within their rules and the NFL's interpretation of this section has always been that teams are prohibited from using the data gathered via these means DURING the game.

This is the section that Belichick relied on for interpreting use of video equipment - he could video (from anywhere) as long as he didn't use it during the game, which he never did (how could you?).

But it literally seemingly the entire idea that the only thing the Patriots did wrong was film from one specific location. Kind of a big deal.

So your position is that Kraft believed the Patriots did tape the walk through? Because that would be the only reason for Kraft to remain silent and not hammer the Herald until the Patriots were officially cleared. Otherwise, there's still no excuse for an owner to remain silent while his team and coach get dragged through the mud if he knew and believed they were innocent. Face it. You're grasping at straws here and you're doing it out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to a man that, in the last decade, has left his HOF coach and QB holding the bag over two mostly manufactured scandals so he could continue hobknobbing with the other 31.

Only in YOUR world does 1+1=3, Kontra.

I said what I meant and meant what I said. You should stop hurting yourself by thinking there is some deeper meaning.

Saying a person doesn't know something does not equate to them believing something happened. No matter HOW you parse it. So just stop already.

So, no. I'm not the one grasping at straws. That would be you with your fiction and made up garbage about what people are saying.

Your bias against Kraft is beyond ridiculous. You keep saying he should have hammered this and that, but you ignore what the consequences of him doing so.

I don't have misplaced loyalty. What I have is common sense, a brain, and the ability to discern ridiculousness from reality.

It wasn't illegal to tape signals from the sidelines until 2007.

the specific wording was that you could not tape from the coach's box, locker room, or the field. Keep in mind, that the literal definition of the 'field' was the actual playing field from sideline to sidelin and the back line in each end zone. the sideline defined separately was not mentioned.

the other thing not stipulated was Goodell's contention that you could not use the recordings the same day which was never stipulated.

I honestly believe that Spygate has the same roots as delfategate.......basically someone wanting to knock the pats down a peg.......getting to the details of the tape stompings and what not, the mess has a familiar stink to it

I said what I meant and meant what I said. You should stop hurting yourself by thinking there is some deeper meaning.

Saying a person doesn't know something does not equate to them believing something happened. No matter HOW you parse it. So just stop already.

So, no. I'm not the one grasping at straws. That would be you with your fiction and made up garbage about what people are saying.

Your bias against Kraft is beyond ridiculous. You keep saying he should have hammered this and that, but you ignore what the consequences of him doing so.

I don't have misplaced loyalty. What I have is common sense, a brain, and the ability to discern ridiculousness from reality.

right now, Kraft has a huge barbed wire **** shoved up his butt........a barbed wire **** that can be shoved up any owners butt.....this is something that is agreed to before the vote it done to allow you to become a franchise owner in the NFL

Bob Kraft has done more for football fans in this area than anyone except Billy Sullivan.......people need to check themselves before they bash him

LOL.

Yeah, that's a load of crap. Kraft is the owner and the head of a multi-million dollar corporation. The reports circulate north and go straight to him at the end of the day. Especially in a scandal that big. If you think that he honestly didn't know, then you're basically excusing him based on incompetence. Either on his part or on the part of the Patriots organization. Take your pick. So, based on your logic, only one of two things are probable here. Either he got info that the organization was guilty with regard to the charge of taping the walk through or you think that either he or the organization is incompetent. Those are the only two logical explanations for basically ****ying out.

Oh you're definitely grasping at straws. The only thing left to figure out is whether or not you actually believe what you're trying to peddle here.

What consequences are those? Are they the same made up consequences that you were trying to sell PWP on in the other thread before you threw a hissy fit and left the thread? Kraft loses the team if he speaks up, amirite? If that's true, why hasn't the NFL forced him to sell yet based on his rhetoric before the Super Bowl and just a few weeks back? There are no consequences of him hammering the Herald, ESPN, and whatever news outlet keeps peddling false reports. That he didn't do so in 2008 is the very reason that threads like this exist to this day.

I haven't seen these qualities displayed yet. Perhaps you should start displaying them now because your argument still doesn't have a leg to stand on.

That implies that taping signals from the stands is illegal. That doesn't help matters here.

There is no question, I don't think, that the Patriots broke a rule when they taped signals. But what they broke was a location from where they could tape. "Taping signals" is not against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes