PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff seedings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
With the Patriots having clinched the AFC East and therefore a playoff berth, it is hopefully not too early to start thinking about playoff seeding, and I have a question. Suppose the Patriots and Steelers both win out and finish 13-3 atop there respective divisions (which presupposes a Ravens loss), I think the Steelers would have the higher seed by virtue of their head to head record against us.

But if the Ravens, Patriots and Steelers all win out, then the Ravens win the AFC north and the Steelers are a wild card - who gets the #1 overall seed then? If it's the Patriots then don't we want to root for the Ravens?

Last edited:
With the Patriots having clinched the AFC East and therefore a playoff berth, it is hopefully not too early to start thinking about playoff seeding, and I have a question. Suppose the Patriots and Steelers both win out and finish 13-3 atop there respective divisions (which presupposes a Ravens loss), I think the Steelers would have the higher seed by virtue of their head to head record against us.

But if the Ravens, Patriots and Steelers all win out, then the Ravens win the AFC north and the Steelers are a wild card - who gets the #1 overall seed then? If it's the Patriots then don't we want to root for the Ravens?

If the Ravens win out they are the guaranteed #1 seed. Straight from the NFL.

If NE and PIT are both 13-3, and BAL is 12-4, it's PIT #1 and NE #2.

Pats need to win out and the Steelers and Ravens both lose a game. To get the #1 seed

Last edited:
I'm hoping for the 2nd seed..Less pressure on the team, and I think favorable matchups will await.

I vote for Baltimore and Pit to be 12-4 and the Pats to be 13-3:rocker:

Last edited:
Bottom line is you want Pitt to lose tomorrow.

This is why the Houston loss as bad for the Patriots today.

If the Patriots had tied Houston and Pittsburgh for best record, then Patriots get the best seed.

This is why the Houston loss as bad for the Patriots today.

If the Patriots had tied Houston and Pittsburgh for best record, then Patriots get the best seed.

Better than us blowing a game against Miami next week and not getting a bye at all. Can live with it.

we will get #1 or 2 in my eyes so a 1st round bye and at least 1 home playoff game...i hope pitt and balt both lose..ugh we NEED #1 so bad this year...

Last edited:
Wait..so even if the ravens lose tonight..and pats and steelers win out..steelers will be #1? But we would have a better division record than pitt

If it's only PIT and NE at 13-3, then it's head-to-head record, unfortunately.

I think we have a better shot of beating the Steelers than beating the Ravens.

I would be fine with a #2 seed. It actually may work out better for us.

If the playoff started today.

Baltimore (lets assume the win tonight) and the Pats get a bye.

Jets (#6) play at Houston (#3) and Pitt (#5) play at Denver (#4)

I think even with Yates the Texans could beat the Jets, and I would expect the Steelers to beat Denver. If that happens

We get the Texans at home, and Ravens would get the Steelers.

As you can see in this scenerio the #2 actually has the better matchup.

Baltimore is overrated. I am watching the game now, and I don't see how they hold Brady to less than 24 points. The only question would be if Flacco could make enough plays to match it. However, the best case scenario is for Baltimore or Pitts to finish #1 and the Pats have potentially a more favorable matchup in the divisional round.

Yup. If we are the #1 seed, we would likely play both BALT and PITT. If we are the #2 seed, we will likely play only one.

I would be fine with a #2 seed. It actually may work out better for us.

If the playoff started today.

Baltimore (lets assume the win tonight) and the Pats get a bye.

Jets (#6) play at Houston (#3) and Pitt (#5) play at Denver (#4)

I think even with Yates the Texans could beat the Jets, and I would expect the Steelers to beat Denver. If that happens

We get the Texans at home, and Ravens would get the Steelers.

As you can see in this scenerio the #2 actually has the better matchup.

To those who think that the #2 seed is better.....

Right now it looks like the Texans are the #3 seed. They suck w/o a QB. If they lose to the #6 seed (Jets, right now); then that would mean that New England would take on Balt in the Divisional game.

So being #2 is worse if both WC teams win. Right now, it really looks like Hou and Den will both lose in the WC....

If the current score holds up and the Ravens lose tonight, the bottom line is that the Pats, if they win their Division Game at home, are probably going to have to beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, a hallmark of their "dynasty" run in the last decade. I don't see the Steelers losing down the stretch given the sour taste remaining from last year's SB.

And, lets face it, if we did end up 0--2 against the Steelers, we could at least console ourselves that they beat us twice, head to head, and not have anything about which to complain.

Things could get very simple if San Francisco beats Pittsburgh Monday Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back