PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh at Denver - Which team winning would be better for New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, last year's season stats should be ignored because it has nothing to do with how they are playing this year.

The Pats were a 5-11 team the year before they won their first superbowl.

They weren't being looked at as an 'elite' team when they were 2-3 starting off the season. What's your point?

you guys had a problem with plummer for some reason, maybe the mobile rollout qb reason, but cutler isn't like plummer at all when it comes to that, so technically you haven't ever played the cutler led broncos, so you'd probably destroy them regardless.

Last edited:
Pitt is going to win. Big Ben is playing like it is 2005.
I guess I don't care who wins, it's just a question of who do you hate more?
I'm not scared of either team, and with the Pats grabbing the #1 seed we won't have to worry about the mile high curse, so either one is ok as a playoff opponent. We've had Pitt's number for years btw.

Pitt is going to win. Big Ben is playing like it is 2005.
I guess I don't care who wins, it's just a question of who do you hate more?
I'm not scared of either team, and with the Pats grabbing the #1 seed we won't have to worry about the mile high curse, so either one is ok as a playoff opponent. We've had Pitt's number for years btw.

Denver is 2-0 at Gillette Stadium. But let me guess this straight. You'll beat Denver now, even though they own you, because it's a new year. But you'll beat Pittsburgh this year because you've had their number in the past? That makes a ton of sense..

I think part of why there's confusion here is that other teams - especially ones with very good records like Pittsburgh - don't quite get HOW good the Patriots are. The Steelers would LOSE to Dallas right now. DEFINITELY. And we just dominated them by 21. Sorry, guys.

I know you'll think we're just being ****y homers, but just wait. We'll beat you by double-digits, too.

I think part of why there's confusion here is that other teams - especially ones with very good records like Pittsburgh - don't quite get HOW good the Patriots are. The Steelers would LOSE to Dallas right now. DEFINITELY. And we just dominated them by 21. Sorry, guys.

I know you'll think we're just being ****y homers, but just wait. We'll beat you by double-digits, too.

What are you basing Pittsburgh losing to Dallas on, exactly? Last time I checked, Pittsburgh has two common opponents with NE, the Bills and Browns.

You beat the Bills 38-7. Pittsburgh beat the Bills 26-3.
You beat the Browns 34-17. Pittsburgh beat the Browns 34-7.

I don't see where your "clear superiority" has been proven.

Pittsburgh beat the Browns with a SCRUB QB vs. the all-world performer that Derek Anderson has become - are you seriously this much of a weasel? Are you KIDDING with that?

Pittsburgh beat the Browns with a SCRUB QB vs. the all-world performer that Derek Anderson has become - are you seriously this much of a weasel? Are you KIDDING with that?

Derek Anderson is a scrub QB. First, he played the entire second half against Pittsburgh and did squat, and he also lost to the Raiders. I know you want to pretend New England has played the 1985 Bears, the 1978 Steelers, and the 1989 49ers the first few weeks, but give me a break.

Sorry to disappoint you, but whenever I write "dolts", I refer to the Colts, not the Chargers.

Thanks, I was confused.

But what do we call the Bills?

This is getting hard.

He is 32-5 in seasons where he doesn't have a motorcycle accident in the offseason, and 7-8 in seasons in which he does.

I see, when he's not being an idiot he plays better.

Can we submit that to the Canton committee? Attach a doctor's note that certifies that he doesn't have idiot in his genes.

We all know Pitt has a superior defense to the Pats, if you deny that then you are blind. Offensivley, well the Pats are more dangerous through the air while Pittsburgh is one of the best running, smashmouth teams in the NFL. In years past, the Pats have "had the steelers number" so to speak, but now we are dealing with two different teams. The type of team that the Pats have now is a team that the Steelers matchup well with. Moss and Stallworth arent known for being very physical, but you cannot afford to try and press them in single coverage, while welker is tough and isn't afraid to go over the middle, but he isn't the breakaway threat that Moss and Stallworth are. There is no way the pats run on us, but that didn't seem to bother them against the boys, however the cowboys havent been known for defense this season. Pretty much the key to beating the Pats(which is easier said than done) is to get pressure with your line and force him to try and make plays on the run, which is his achilles heel, and run the ball. Fast willie is just to fast for the Pats over the hill linebacking core.

We all know Pitt has a superior defense to the Pats, if you deny that then you are blind.
Defensive Rankings:
Yards Allowed:
Pittsburgh 235.6 (1st)
New England 257.0 (2nd)

Passing Yards Allowed:
Pittsburgh 163.0 (2nd)
New England 178.7 (4th)

Rushing Yards Allowed:
Pittsburgh 72.6 (4th)
New England 78.3 (5th)

Points Allowed:
Pittsburgh 9.4 (1st)
New England 15.3 (9th)

-I guess I'm blind then, because the difference is nominal. You're obviously a Steelers homer, so I can see how you'd overrate your own team.

Offensivley, well the Pats are more dangerous through the air while Pittsburgh is one of the best running, smashmouth teams in the NFL.
Offensive Rankings:
Total Yards:
New England 431.2 (1st)
Pittsburgh 351.8 (10th)

Passing Yards:
New England 289.5 (1st)
Pittsburgh 184.8 (27th)

Rushing Yards:
Pittsburgh 167.0 (2nd)
New England 141.7 (7th)

Scoring:
New England 38.3 (1st)
Pittsburgh 26.4 (9th)

It would appear that the Patriots more than hold their own running the ball, and dominate through the air. Looks like your hypothesis is a little off. Pittsburgh outrushes NE by an average of 26 ypg, and New England outpasses Pittsburgh by about 105 ypg. That's a huge advantage to New England.

In years past, the Pats have "had the steelers number" so to speak, but now we are dealing with two different teams.
Patriots are 5-1 against Pittsburgh since the 2002 AFC Championship Game.

And it would appear that, yes, the personnel is a little different, but essentially, the teams' philosophy and execution are almost identical.

The type of team that the Pats have now is a team that the Steelers matchup well with.
Moss and Welker are 2 of the top 10 WR in the league.

Moss and Stallworth arent known for being very physical, but you cannot afford to try and press them in single coverage, while welker is tough and isn't afraid to go over the middle, but he isn't the breakaway threat that Moss and Stallworth are.
1st, do you feel comfortable with Moss on Ike Taylor, Stallworth on DeShea Townsend, and Welker on Polamalu/Clark/Coclough/Whoever?

2nd: Welker is 24th in the league in receiving, well clear of anyone on the Steelers. Not to mention he's coming off a career-best game last week.

It would appear your pre-concieved notions are incorrect again.

There is no way the pats run on us, but that didn't seem to bother them against the boys, however the cowboys havent been known for defense this season.
The Patriots, as the statistics show, can win on the ground, or in the air, and will gameplan to whichever gains them the advantage. Were I McDaniels, I would go 3-wide the entire game, and run fade patterns to Moss all day. Ike Taylor is quite possibly the most overrated corner in the league not named Fred Smoot. The Cowboys are not the Steelers, the comparisons are irrelevant.

Pretty much the key to beating the Pats(which is easier said than done) is to get pressure with your line and force him to try and make plays on the run, which is his achilles heel, and run the ball.
New England's line has given up a whopping 6 sacks this season. Dallas tried to blitz about 65% of the time last week, and were absolutely annihilated. Blitzing the Patriots is akin to handing them touchdowns. The ONLY chance teams have are to drop 7/8 and hope they get lucky with a bad throw or two. Blitzing is suicide. Tomlin will not make the same mistake you would, were you the coach.
Fast willie is just to fast for the Pats over the hill linebacking core.

LaDanian Tomlinson wasn't. Neither were Jones/Barber. Neither was Marshawn Lynch. Again, the Patriots are 5th in the league against the run, allowing a whopping 5.5 ypg on the ground more than the Steelers.

Steeler Steve, it was a nice effort, but unfortunately, if you don't know the facts going into an arguement, it's probably best not to post, and be embarassed like you just were. Were I a Steelers fan, I would concentrate on winning the AFC North, and worry about the Patriots when the Steelers come to Foxboro.

Last edited:
Points Allowed:
Pittsburgh 9.4 (1st)
New England 15.3 (9th)

-I guess I'm blind then, because the difference is nominal. You're obviously a Steelers homer, so I can see how you'd overrate your own team.

Scoring:
New England 38.3 (1st)
Pittsburgh 26.4 (9th)

It would appear that the Patriots more than hold their own running the ball, and dominate through the air. Looks like your hypothesis is a little off. Pittsburgh outrushes NE by an average of 26 ypg, and New England outpasses Pittsburgh by about 105 ypg. That's a huge advantage to New England.

Patriots are 5-1 against Pittsburgh since the 2002 AFC Championship Game.

And it would appear that, yes, the personnel is a little different, but essentially, the teams' philosophy and execution are almost identical.

Moss and Welker are 2 of the top 10 WR in the league.

1st, do you feel comfortable with Moss on Ike Taylor, Stallworth on DeShea Townsend, and Welker on Polamalu/Clark/Coclough/Whoever?

2nd: Welker is 24th in the league in receiving, well clear of anyone on the Steelers. Not to mention he's coming off a career-best game last week.

It would appear your pre-concieved notions are incorrect again.

The Patriots, as the statistics show, can win on the ground, or in the air, and will gameplan to whichever gains them the advantage. Were I McDaniels, I would go 3-wide the entire game, and run fade patterns to Moss all day. Ike Taylor is quite possibly the most overrated corner in the league not named Fred Smoot. The Cowboys are not the Steelers, the comparisons are irrelevant.

New England's line has given up a whopping 6 sacks this season. Dallas tried to blitz about 65% of the time last week, and were absolutely annihilated. Blitzing the Patriots is akin to handing them touchdowns. The ONLY chance teams have are to drop 7/8 and hope they get lucky with a bad throw or two. Blitzing is suicide. Tomlin will not make the same mistake you would, were you the coach.

LaDanian Tomlinson wasn't. Neither were Jones/Barber. Neither was Marshawn Lynch. Again, the Patriots are 5th in the league against the run, allowing a whopping 5.5 ypg on the ground more than the Steelers.

Steeler Steve, it was a nice effort, but unfortunately, if you don't know the facts going into an arguement, it's probably best not to post, and be embarassed like you just were. Were I a Steelers fan, I would concentrate on winning the AFC North, and worry about the Patriots when the Steelers come to Foxboro.
lol, look at the points per game, while the Pats give up a little more than two touchdowns per game. While Pitt gives up an average of 3 field goals a game, yes that is defensive superiority. When you say blitzing is suicide, you are talking about dallas, DALLAS! they are not on Pitts level defensivley. Btw have you seen teams that try to run on the steelers? sorry it just doesn't happen, the steelers have given up just one 100yard rusher in the last 55 games, an impressive stat if you ask me. Ike Taylor is one of the most underrated DB's in the league. All Pitt has to do is fall back into coverage and when the pats try to run then....well we all know what happens then.

lol, look at the points per game, while the Pats give up a little more than two touchdowns per game. While Pitt gives up an average of 3 field goals a game, yes that is defensive superiority.
Wow. 6 points more/game than Pittsburgh balanced with scoring 13PPG MORE? Are you kidding? Did you even look at the stats?

you say blitzing is suicide, you are talking about dallas, DALLAS! they are not on Pitts level defensivley.
I don't care if you're the 85 Bears or the 00 Ravens. Don't blitz on this team. ESPECIALLY when your team is still converting to a 4-3. The Zone Blitz, which might be somewhat effective, isn't nearly as effective in a 4-3. Coverage is the only play. I hope you're Mike Tomlin, and blitz every play. The game will be over at halftime.

have you seen teams that try to run on the steelers? sorry it just doesn't happen, the steelers have given up just one 100yard rusher in the last 55 games, an impressive stat if you ask me.
Giving up 6 fewer yards a game than the Patriots. See, the Patriots don't HAVE to run to win. Pittsburgh, with their 27th ranked Pass Offense? They kinda do.
Ike Taylor is one of the most underrated DB's in the league.
Ike Taylor is one of the worst starting corners in the league. The only reason anyone knows who he is is, sadly, Taylor is the best CB on the team. Single Taylor on Moss, and see what happens.

Pitt has to do is fall back into coverage and when the pats try to run then....well we all know what happens then.

While there's 7 dropped in coverage? The Patriots will run the ball. If the want. Hell, they'll STILL throw when the Steelers drop 7 or 8 into coverage. It's pretty simple. How do you wanna die? Slow and Painful? Drop 7 and 8 and let Brady check down to Faulk or whomever, and run 10 minute drives. Quick and Bloody? Blitz. Single coverage on Moss and Stallworth. Both guys could have career days.

Face it, this is a game where Pittsburgh has to outscore the Patriots. This won't happen.

Last thing on this. The Pittsburgh run defense has almost no bearing on the outcome of the game. Why run on the 1st Ranked rush D, when you can throw on the likes of Taylor and Townsend?

Final thought. Pittsburgh lost to Arizona and 93 year old Kurt Warner.

Last edited:
Wow. 6 points more/game than Pittsburgh balanced with scoring 13PPG MORE? Are you kidding? Did you even look at the stats?

I don't care if you're the 85 Bears or the 00 Ravens. Don't blitz on this team. ESPECIALLY when your team is still converting to a 4-3. The Zone Blitz, which might be somewhat effective, isn't nearly as effective in a 4-3. Coverage is the only play. I hope you're Mike Tomlin, and blitz every play. The game will be over at halftime.

Giving up 6 fewer yards a game than the Patriots. See, the Patriots don't HAVE to run to win. Pittsburgh, with their 27th ranked Pass Offense? They kinda do.

Ike Taylor is one of the worst starting corners in the league. The only reason anyone knows who he is is, sadly, Taylor is the best CB on the team. Single Taylor on Moss, and see what happens.

While there's 7 dropped in coverage? The Patriots will run the ball. If the want. Hell, they'll STILL throw when the Steelers drop 7 or 8 into coverage. It's pretty simple. How do you wanna die? Slow and Painful? Drop 7 and 8 and let Brady check down to Faulk or whomever, and run 10 minute drives. Quick and Bloody? Blitz. Single coverage on Moss and Stallworth. Both guys could have career days.

Face it, this is a game where Pittsburgh has to outscore the Patriots. This won't happen.

Last thing on this. The Pittsburgh run defense has almost no bearing on the outcome of the game. Why run on the 1st Ranked rush D, when you can throw on the likes of Taylor and Townsend?

Final thought. Pittsburgh lost to Arizona and 93 year old Kurt Warner.
Welcome to the board SteelerSteve! As you can see you're gonna have a tough road to hoe. Just stay strong, stick to your guns, and hope your team bails you out. When NE is rolling like this their fans are fairly insufferable. Granted, not without reason. But nonetheless they are hard.

I always wish the Steelers well as long as you're not playing the Bolts. Why not think about it this way? Everyone can say whatever they want but the bottom line is that the score is still 5-3 pitt. I have zero problems with the status remaining quo. ;)

Some will have a lot of explaining to do in December...that is if he's still around...and not hiding.

I am not sure Denver has the team that can give them trouble..the fact that it's the Rockies will make it interesting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News