PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh at Denver - Which team winning would be better for New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver.

Here's a strange, yet possible scenario:

- Pats give Indy their only loss of the year.
- Pats play a physical MNF Ravens game, then suffer from the short week and lose a nailbiter to Pittsburgh.* Ends up the only loss of the year for NE.
- Pittsburgh runs the table from here on out.

So we'd end up with three 15-1 teams. Since all three did not play against each other, the first tiebreaker is conference record. With NFC Arizona being Pittsburgh's only loss, guess who gets HFA?

Regards,
Chris

* Humor me for a bit.

But even then, NE would get the bye over Indy, forcing Indy to play on wild card weekend as a 15-1 team. I won't be too bothered by that.

Denver.

Here's a strange, yet possible scenario:

- Pats give Indy their only loss of the year.
- Pats play a physical MNF Ravens game, then suffer from the short week and lose a nailbiter to Pittsburgh.* Ends up the only loss of the year for NE.
- Pittsburgh runs the table from here on out.

So we'd end up with three 15-1 teams. Since all three did not play against each other, the first tiebreaker is conference record. With NFC Arizona being Pittsburgh's only loss, guess who gets HFA?

Regards,
Chris

* Humor me for a bit.

Wow! Now THAT is a longshot, but I like the idea! :rocker:

Since Denver is probably not coming close to making the playoffs, it's likely better for them to win. But Pitt's going to kill them so it's kind of a moot issue.

Agreed. Would love to ruin the week in Pittsburgh.

Better for Romeo too.

I have a different take on this game. I won't mind if Pittsburgh wins, because I want to see them finish ahead of the dolts. If that happens, then Pittsburgh would host a possible divisional-round game against them, while we probably host the Chargers. I apologize to those who want to see the dolts undefeated when they host the NEP, but I hate them so much, that I want to see them lose every game they play. Every one of 'em.

I have a different take on this game. I won't mind if Pittsburgh wins, because I want to see them finish ahead of the dolts. If that happens, then Pittsburgh would host a possible divisional-round game against them, while we probably host the Chargers. I apologize to those who want to see the dolts undefeated when they host the NEP, but I hate them so much, that I want to see them lose every game they play. Every one of 'em.
Heheh, well that's a healthy level of hate. Kewl, can't say I mind it?

It's nice to know you're at least thinking about my beloved Bolts. ;)

Heheh, well that's a healthy level of hate. Kewl, can't say I mind it?

It's nice to know you're at least thinking about my beloved Bolts. ;)

Sorry to disappoint you, but whenever I write "dolts", I refer to the Colts, not the Chargers.

There is no level of hate that matches what I have for the Irsays, naPolian, Dungheap and Payaton.

Sorry to disappoint you, but whenever I write "dolts", I refer to the Colts, not the Chargers.

There is no level of hate that matches what I have for the Irsays, naPolian, Dungheap and Payaton.
LOL, my bad. I'm damn disappointed you were actually referring to the Colts. Sigh.

LOL, my bad. I'm damn disappointed you were actually referring to the Colts. Sigh.
And here I thought that winking icon said you knew what he meant. Damn uncommunicative, those little widgets.

Anyway, Stillers-Donks, rooting for overtime. Is there such a thing as double-overtime? I'll take that. :)

I'm also getting sick of Steelers fans trying to anoint this years team as "one of the elite" and talking about how our game against them is bigger than the Colts game. QUOTE]

They're 4-1, giving up 9 points a game, and have won the Super Bowl more recently than New England. They are one of the elite teams in the league.

Denver is a terrible football team.

I'm also getting sick of Steelers fans trying to anoint this years team as "one of the elite" and talking about how our game against them is bigger than the Colts game.

They're 4-1, giving up 9 points a game, and have won the Super Bowl more recently than New England. They are one of the elite teams in the league.

They were 8-8 last season. Thus far, their most difficult opponent has been the Browns, and that was before Cleveland made the quarterback change. Pittsburgh is going to get through the season having only played 2 quality teams (New England, Jacksonville). How they do in those two matchups will determine their "elite" status in my book.

That's a great schedule to get into the playoffs and have a shot at a good seed, though.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else. We want Denver to win so the patriots get a higher playoff seed.

They were 8-8 last season. Thus far, their most difficult opponent has been the Browns, and that was before Cleveland made the quarterback change. Pittsburgh is going to get through the season having only played 2 quality teams (New England, Jacksonville). How they do in those two matchups will determine their "elite" status in my book.

That's a great schedule to get into the playoffs and have a shot at a good seed, though.

First, have Tom Brady smash his face through a windshield and see if the Patriots are better than 8-8. Yes, it was Ben's fault, but that doesn't change the fact that he was clearly affected by it last season. He is 32-5 in seasons where he doesn't have a motorcycle accident in the offseason, and 7-8 in seasons in which he does.

So, if NE goes 14-2 and loses to Indy and Pittsburgh, they wouldn't be "elite" in your view, given they would've lost to the two best teams they played? That seems a little silly to me. If you allow 9 points a game in the NFL, and are outscoring your opponents 132-47 while doing it, you're pretty good.

He is 32-5 in seasons where he doesn't have a motorcycle accident in the offseason, and 7-8 in seasons in which he does.

:rofl:

OH yeah? Brady is 1-0 when he has the Flu. 6-0 when he is a new Dad. 2-1 in playoff games when dating a supermodel....:D

I've said before, I want them all at their best when we play them so there is no doubt and no excuses if/when we/they beat them/us. Maybe if Pitt loses a game before us they pull together any loose ends and are a better team when we play them. Bring em all on. Eff em all.

First, have Tom Brady smash his face through a windshield and see if the Patriots are better than 8-8. Yes, it was Ben's fault, but that doesn't change the fact that he was clearly affected by it last season. He is 32-5 in seasons where he doesn't have a motorcycle accident in the offseason, and 7-8 in seasons in which he does.

So, if NE goes 14-2 and loses to Indy and Pittsburgh, they wouldn't be "elite" in your view, given they would've lost to the two best teams they played? That seems a little silly to me. If you allow 9 points a game in the NFL, and are outscoring your opponents 132-47 while doing it, you're pretty good.

The team was a .500 team last season and hasn't had any games against quality teams yet this season. The notion that the 8-8 record should be ignored because "Big Ben" decided to do a face plant is silly.

Last edited:
The team was a .500 team last season and hasn't had any games against quality teams yet this season. The notion that the 8-8 record should be ignored because "Big Ben" decided to do a face plant is silly.

Not just silly - damn silly!

No, last year's season stats should be ignored because it has nothing to do with how they are playing this year.

The Pats were a 5-11 team the year before they won their first superbowl.

Stop it! Steeler fans making sense could trigger The Apocalypse! Do you want us all to die a horrible death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back