PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pit released Jeff Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, though, it looked like his kickoffs were very very flat and extremely returnable. I don't remember each one, but the Steelers routinely were getting 25 to 30 yards on the kickoffs, and came close to breaking a couple much deeper but for some good tackling.
His kickoffs really scare the crap out of me. We're definitely in for some big return plays against us.

Reed is a head case. You should see and hear his reaction after the game. Not exactly the type of guy who likes his job.

I would take Jeff Reed of past years, but not the 2010 version. He has missed seven field goals this year (15 of 22). For whatever reason a lot of NFL kickers seem to go from pretty good to mediocre very quickly.

It's such an exact motion that over the course of 30, 40, or 50+ yards, a tiny variation in technique can be the difference between right down the middle and a total shank. I think once little bits of these kickers starts to go, it doesn't take much to throw them off. Some learn quickly and compensate, others just end up never being the same.

Based on last night, mid-60s seemed to be his range on kickoffs, pretty consistently -- except for the one he kicked from the 50 which he couldn't get to the back of the end zone and the opening kick off which he got 70 yards, to the goal line. (His kicks were 70, 68, 65, 63, 63, 64, 62, 55.) That's not enough. You need a guy who can give you a touchback at least occasionally. When every kickoff is returnable, barring wind or a penalty, you're just asking for trouble over the long haul. To have a guy who cannot even reach the end zone on kickoffs is not a long-term plan.

To me, though, it looked like his kickoffs were very very flat and extremely returnable. I don't remember each one, but the Steelers routinely were getting 25 to 30 yards on the kickoffs, and came close to breaking a couple much deeper but for some good tackling.

My own observation, and it is JUST my own observation, is that we missed a whole lot of tackles that might have caught the returner much further back. I'm not saying Graham is a world-class kicker, but it's more than just him. It's the whole ST package.

Sign him please. Shayne is terrible at kickoffs.

I don't know if he's terrible, I do know he's better than Reed.

They keep stats on this stuff.

Gostkowski is exceptional on kickoffs, but he's hurt.

returns

Graham career average 21.2 Reed 21.8

There really isn't much to choose between these guys, and the other guy is hurt.

Last edited:
And that's one less thing we can make fun of the Steelers for.

jeff_reed_krtphotoslive340928-SPORTS-FBN-SUPE.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's a spot for this guy in the Meadowlands.

jeff-reed-3.jpg

Heinz Field is one of the worst, if not the worst stadium to kick in. I'd sign him asap. Shayne Graham is horrible. He's one of the worst over his career, at opponent avg field position for kickoffs.

Hmm.. Let's see.. You want to get rid of Shayne Graham who has a career kick-off average of 61.8, but who averaged 65 yards on kicks from the 30 for Jeff Reed, who's career average is 61.5. :rolleyes:

Reed is averaging 62.6 yards per kick-off this year. Not sure what happened to Reed, but his last 2 games have been horrible, even disregarding the on-sides kicks against the Pats.

Why do you want to sign him again?

Based on last night, mid-60s seemed to be his range on kickoffs, pretty consistently -- except for the one he kicked from the 50 which he couldn't get to the back of the end zone and the opening kick off which he got 70 yards, to the goal line. (His kicks were 70, 68, 65, 63, 63, 64, 62, 55.) That's not enough. You need a guy who can give you a touchback at least occasionally. When every kickoff is returnable, barring wind or a penalty, you're just asking for trouble over the long haul. To have a guy who cannot even reach the end zone on kickoffs is not a long-term plan.

I'm with you.

But why are the Pats not getting the Space Emperor to do kick-offs? He has all the power you could wish for and it isn't THAT technically difficult.

Last edited:
I'll pass as he partied his way out of ****tsburgh :D

Last edited:
If you guys are so concerned about kickoffs, maybe we should cut Slater for a KOS.

Speed dial, but no more than that. Graham deserves a longer look before we dump him for another team's castoff.

Seems to me the whole kicking unit we have now just needs some time to gel before we would decide on anything. Given the number of kicks this week, I think they did ok.

If you guys are so concerned about kickoffs, maybe we should cut Slater for a KOS.
Yes, Lets get rid of our 2nd best special teams player when we already have an open roster spot.. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back