Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pires: Pats agree to terms (again) with LB Chad Brown

so when are we gonna sign Monty Beisel

after the off season the pats font office gave us i think this post is uncalled

I like the signing....it gives a LOT of vet flexibility to the linebacking position..with 6 players...Bruschi and Seau inside...Colvin and Brown outside with Thomas and Vrabel possible at either. I don't see Thomas as strickly an OLB..I think they can place him wherever there is a strong mismatch whether that is inside, outside or even more on the line.
Brown in 05 was moved to ILB, a position he had not played in awhile and th4 Pat D system was all new to him..even after playing in teh league many years there is a LOT to learn. Last year if you recall, he had a wrist/hand injury..I believe similar to TedyB's..so he was cut MORE because of that any anything. I HOPE this time atound they use him MORE to his strengths..outside and rushing in. Many options now..I really like it.

Maybe Thomas inside is better there than Vrabel or maybe Vrabel outside is better that Thomas outside, or maybe Seau in and Brown out as quality depth is the way to go with a few youngsters catching on as well. I look for Woods to make the leap from ist year to 2nd year and make himself known as well.

My point is...quality depth & position flexibility is what BB loves and man oh man - we got that now!

Line 'em all up in training camp - hope they all stay healthy and let the best men win!

Chad Brown is aweful. I hope this isn't true.

Maybe Thomas inside is better there than Vrabel or maybe Vrabel outside is better that Thomas outside, or maybe Seau in and Brown out as quality depth is the way to go with a few youngsters catching on as well. I look for Woods to make the leap from ist year to 2nd year and make himself known as well.

My point is...quality depth & position flexibility is what BB loves and man oh man - we got that now!

Line 'em all up in training camp - hope they all stay healthy and let the best men win!
I agree flexiility...and maybe against certain teams..Thomas is needed more outside than inside OR vice versa...OR maybe better on the line..it really makes the inside 7 really flexible...and that as you said is what BB really wants... IF that makes teh D better..go for it!! Think of the education the younger D players will have!!

I think this goes along the lines of Seau being signed. It just hasn't happened (yet)

By all accounts Chad Brown is a good guy who works hard. I wish him all the best. But it would be mighty discouraging if he turned out to be an upgrade to the LB corps.

Yes, it's low risk and he could well be cut in TC, but BB wouldn't make the move unless he thought there were some reasonable chance he would prove to be an upgrade. If true, it makes me slightly queasy.

The cardinals beat the patsies to him.

However, I hear that Barry Gardner is still available.

Chad effin Brown - what an effin joke...except I'm not laughing.

I see this as a move calculated to appease all those fans who bought Chad Brown jerseys the first go-round.

Can they use these?

1075C.pic.jpg

I remember reading an interview with Chad Brown before he signed with the Pats. In that interview he was asked what his strengths were. His answer:

"I'm an edge rusher." Evidenced by the fact that at that time, he was the NFL's active all-time sack leader (at LB).

Well, his first game with the Pats he started inside with several more inside thereafter. He did appear outside later on but only in a reserve capacity. It's accurate to say, Brown's first go-round with the Pats did not take advantage of his strengths. As always, BB had a plan in mind...most likely based on the status of the entire LB corps, BB felt Brown would be best utilized working inside.

He's highly experienced and does offer versatility. It's still early, and roster spots have yet to be won. And the inevitable also hasn't happened -- injuries. To which players at what positions we do not know. But there hasn't been a pre-season yet when someone doesn't go down (we hope only briefly and minor) -- but we will need depth. Maybe that will be Brown's role -- maybe not...

I remember reading an interview with Chad Brown before he signed with the Pats. In that interview he was asked what his strengths were. His answer:

"I'm an edge rusher." Evidenced by the fact that at that time, he was the NFL's active all-time sack leader (at LB).

Well, his first game with the Pats he started inside with several more inside thereafter. He did appear outside later on but only in a reserve capacity. It's accurate to say, Brown's first go-round with the Pats did not take advantage of his strengths. As always, BB had a plan in mind...most likely based on the status of the entire LB corps, BB felt Brown would be best utilized working inside.

He's highly experienced and does offer versatility. It's still early, and roster spots have yet to be won. And the inevitable also hasn't happened -- injuries. To which players at what positions we do not know. But there hasn't been a pre-season yet when someone doesn't go down (we hope only briefly and minor) -- but we will need depth. Maybe that will be Brown's role -- maybe not...

Based on his history, I'm betting on Chad Brown.

Last edited:

Chad Brown? Ugh.

And to think a week ago when I suggested the Pats would go after McGinest if he were cut I was laughed out of town...

Obviously Chad didn't invest in a retirement plan or else he wouldn't be embarrasing himself the last few seasons trying to make rent.

His strength is his pass rush? Sure Chad,go ahead and rush the QB. We are going to hold back Vrabel,AD,Seymour and 20 other guys on the team while you do that.

Chad Brown? Ugh.

And to think a week ago when I suggested the Pats would go after McGinest if he were cut I was laughed out of town...

I loved the idea. His leadership was key for this team and I bet you he can still play LB in this system at reasonable level.

I don't like this bum signing again with us - for depth or not Chad had a few good years early in his career and should have retired years ago,he stinks and is a revoliving door for running backs to get to the secondary - Can't this bum get a job away from football and leave it alone already?

I would rather see us with one of the young guys we have now than this washed up old has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST