PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT:League Consensus:Branch wants to much green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFT:league Consensus -- Branch Wants Too Much Green

PatsFan37 said:
The fans that won't forgive Branch holding out have forgotten the world some of these players come from, the extended families they're planning to support. Branch is looking at his one chance, his one contract, to pay off years of hard work.

It's true. We like to imagine that these guys grew up dreaming of helping lead their team to a championship -- but that's not the reality for the impoverished young kid w/ real athletic talent. They grow up dreaming of paying back their mother/father/grandparents for all of the sacrifices a guardian makes to help ameliorate the sting of poverty on their child. They grow up dreaming of buying their moms a house.

Re: PFT:league Consensus -- Branch Wants Too Much Green

mgcolby said:
Looks like the Pats most likely won by calling his hand. I still don't want to root for the moron! [/LEFT]

Come on now...forgive and forget, if he comes back home...I'm mad at him too but if he can help us avenge last years debacle of not winning the Superbowl then I say, "Welcome home son."

Branch is very unlikely to get a new contract from the Pat's so you wonder what exactly is he holding out for? He said he doesn't want to be franchised, but that's a very remote possibility. Probably the Pat's would agree not to franchise him with some compensation, however they are not going to guarantee not to franchise him for nothing in return.

Now it looks like Branch is holding out over a trivial issue. He needs to fire his agent and get back on the field. The Pat's only want him for this season and then he's a free agent.

Back in the day the Pats had many holdouts. Some players whom our older posters(self included) greatly admire. Don't be so harsh on D.Branch. John
Hannah and Leon Gray missed 2 games to start the 77 season. I believe
Sam Cunningham missed a complete season. And, I believe R.Francis also
missed a complete season. If D.Branch wants to come back he will be
welcome with open arms. No need to throw him under the bus.

Seems the Niners are off the list too:
Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said the team is not seriously considering New England Patriots WR Deion Branch, who has been given permission to seek a trade. Nolan added, "I don't know that New England really wants to lose him. I think some of the testing the waters is (New England) trying to get the player a taste of reality. By that I mean if he tests the market and the market doesn't show the interest that he thinks he commands financially, then New England gets him coming back at a more realistic number. I don't know that's what New England's doing, but it might be because he's been a good player for them and New England is not trying to lose good players."

While Branch is ultimately responsible for creating the tie to Chayut, this whole matter seems out of character for him. I think he will change agents and resolve it that way, blaming Chayut. If he comes back I will hold no grudge, as when in uniform he is one of the consummate Patriots. If he just wants to come back and play his final season here with no contract, I suspect BB and crew may not feature him as much as they have in the past, thus minimizing his value at the end of the year. Either way he is in a very difficult position, the only way to resolve it is get rid of this agent.

When this tour of the NFL is over and he has had all the doors slammed on his face, I can imagine the Pats offer that's on the table now is gone. The put out a new offer even less than before, Branch fires his agent, signs the new one, and spends the next three seasons catching Brady's passes for which he should be eternally grateful.
...could happen.

When Deion comes back of course I will root for him. But I think that the word should be "if".

Players hand things over to their agents just because they value their relationship with their coach and teammates. They say to themselves "I'll let the agent handle all that business stuff". Of course, that way they find themselves committed to things that lead to bitterness.

No one knows the full inside story and probably no one will. If Deion is going to insist on "Reggie Wayne money" then he is out of New England or franchised at the end of this season, hold-out or no hold-out.

The hold-out doesn't do Deion any good if he is concerned to put up great numbers this season to increase his marketability.

The Patriots should sit down and ask themselves why they have been so poor at retaining free agents. (It isn't just a matter of paying players "top ten" money. Players sign for other teams for less than top ten money if they like the organisation and the way that it has treated them. But that's a subject for another thread.)

"It's not personal, Sonny, it's strictly business." It may be bad business, but it's business all the same, on all sides. People make mistakes, and ususally pay for them. Last I checked, Branch had not called a press conference in Thailand to discuss child sex, nor had he recorded a martyrdom video, yet it seems he has nearly fallen to such levels in the opinion of some here. Being a fan is not the same as wanting to be an attack dog on the leash of a team that wouldn't want the dog.

PatsMan26 said:
I agree, anyone who doesnt cheer for Branch when he comes back is out of line. This crap happens every year. We will forget by 8:37 of the 1st quarter in week 1.

Sorry, I will hold this against Dieon. I've never liked his demeanor on the field, I think he is too much of a show boat. To me he will just be a mercinary wearing the right laundry.

lobster said:
Branch is very unlikely to get a new contract from the Pat's so you wonder what exactly is he holding out for? He said he doesn't want to be franchised, but that's a very remote possibility.

Why is it remote?

Probably the Pat's would agree not to franchise him with some compensation, however they are not going to guarantee not to franchise him for nothing in return.

I do not understand what kind of compensation the Pats could get not to franchise him. Please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News