PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton Manning Update: Doctor Says Neck Fusion Has Healed Firmly For Colts QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will get most signed again. Our players arent as greedy and money hungry as 85% of the league (15% being the Colts and the Patriots players)

Our players tend to care more about winning then money...

Peyton and Brady have both made paycuts before to make cap room

So they will stay with an 0-16 team because they care more about winning than money?

see thats what most other people dont understand. There are probably like 15 other teams who would trade for that pick. As our players age, our first pick for more picks! I can name many teams who will trade for Luck:

Redskins
Dolphins (maybe)
Jets (Dirty Sanchez's number suck)
Cleveland
Jaguars
Tennessee
Chiefs
Raiders
Cowboys
Vikings
Cardinals
Rams
Seahawks...

Half those teams are ridiculous.
Many of them just used a 1 on a QB they aren't gping to trade what it takes to get Luck. The Raiders just trading all their ammo for Palmer. The Cardinals just traded for Kolb, etc, etc.
I think you are really, really hoping it works out the way you want it to and trying to find facts to fit it.

The Colts would be foolish to pass up on the best QB prospect in years in the hopes of getting a couple more years out of a QB with neck problems.

The Colts would also be equally foolish to think Luck will replicate Manning's past level of play.

See, there in lies the rub. Why squander a #1 pick especially given the new CBA payscale if you can flip it for multiple picks and build a team that can at least win a middling number of games without a Peyton Manning in his prime level of play?? They all take some time to develop and they all need some significant pieces in place around them. Took Manning a couple of years to find his footing consistently and several years to approach getting over the hump and nine years to actually get there... Will take Luck at least that long whether he sits or gets thrown into the fire to learn on the job on a team that is so undermanned coaching wise and short on talent save a smattering of veterans who are aging out or poised for their own to retirement deals...that is adverse to building via FA and almost totally dependent on drafting and developing it's own talent.

The Colts really need to figure out where they are going and who is gonna get them there and how before they opt to select the QB of the future... The deluded fans in Colt land seem to think that guys like Jeff Fisher or (name the well known currently unemployed HC or flavor of the month coordinator) are going to be brought in to sort that all out. Not going to happen on Polian's watch. He was only able to bring Dungy in because Tony was the classic candidate for career salvage after proving at Tampa he was really limited and a glorified DC. Dungy didn't crave control, he wanted to be propped up and validated by a strong personality with an offense in place and he got that in spades with Polian and Manning (and Moore and Mudd). Caldwell is a far less accomplished, totally uncharasmatic version of the same guy. Those guys and impatient young or desperate aging position coaches or coordinators the only candidates who will be interested in taking a shot at the Indy job because there is so little they can control there personnel and scheme wise and yet when it comes time to parcel out the blame they will be the obvious target.

Unless they first clean house top to bottom - which was the case when Manning was selected - there is no sense in drafting the QB of the future... Polian has lost his fastball. I think finally winning one was his undoing. He's been coasting and positioning himself for retirement and focused on setting his son up career wise for the last couple of seasons. Irsay probably isn't ready to pull the plug on that seamless succession plan just yet. But he could become ready to in another year or two if his team can't regain it's former footing. Then there will be wholesale changes and that's when you start to think about bringing in a new QB and building a team around his particular skillset (which may not be remotely akin to Manning's).

If Manning can return to form you let him play out the string as planned with some drafted talent upgrades courtesy of a rock bottom down year and possibly defensive coaching upgrades for good measure and you deconstruct and reconstruct your entire franchise in another couple of years either under Chris Polian if he's proven himself by then or the next Bill Polian (be he a GM or HC with total ops control) if he hasn't because that guy will want to pick his own franchise QB and schemes and personnel and assembled staff on which to roll his personal career dice. Nobody obviously worth having is coming in there as it stands today to be made the scapegoat if Polian can't slap a bandaid on it and turn it around on the fly as be might be able to if Manning returns and the draft picks are spent elsewhere. And that may even include Andrew Luck if has some savvy handlers. Same deal when Eli came out and Condon and Archie wanted nothing to do with AJ Smith and the QB controversies in SD - albeit on a far more drafted talent laden team even then...

makes sense for indy to draft luck and start peyton a couple more years if he can

ala favre/rodgers

the knock on indy has been that they didn't have a feasible backup plan for peyton's injury

well luck would be a backup plan at least.

makes sense for indy to draft luck and startpeyton a couple more years if he can ala favre/rodgers the knock on indy has been that they didn't have a feasible backup plan forpeyton's injury well luck would be a backup plan at least.

The Favre Rodgers comparison is apples and oranges. Favre was approaching the salary only backend of a deal (that GB structured specifically to be able to be free of him by 2006 without dead cap ramifications) that averaged almost half of Manning's present deal. And Rodgers dropped to #23 in round 1 and was stuck with no leverage and a 5 year deal.

Manning's new deal has an opt out because of his condition heading into it but if they don't opt out they are on the hook for $54M guaranteed. Once they pick up the option they can't part with him for at least 3 years without facing crippling dead cap. Then of course there is Luck's interest, which might be OK with sitting for part or all of a rookie season but isn't going to be OK with sitting for 2-3 seasons... His 5th year option as a first round rookie has to be exercised at the end of season 3 and it's for the franchise tag price guaranteed which will likely be close to $20M by then. And in the interim the cap charge for the position in Indy will be $23M or so. Irsay is on record saying you cannot be competitive with the position taking up $20M.

One of the reasons Manning came in at $18M was his determination to not allow Polian to hide behind his salary as an impediment to retaining or acquiring the talent he knew they needed to be competitive on his back nine. If he and Luck are entrenched for that stretch the team isn't going to be competitive for either of them...via the draft or FA including retaining your own...

From a patsfan perspective I hope they just add Luck to maintaining the status quo in hopes of striking lightening in a bottle at one position consecutively. I'd just as soon they don't ever build a program that can at least remain moderately functional even in the face of adversity like Bill eluded to this AM...

The Favre Rodgers comparison is apples and oranges. Favre was approaching the salary only backend of a deal (that GB structured specifically to be able to be free of him by 2006 without dead cap ramifications) that averaged almost half of Manning's present deal. And Rodgers dropped to #23 in round 1 and was stuck with no leverage and a 5 year deal.

Manning's new deal has an opt out because of his condition heading into it but if they don't opt out they are on the hook for $54M guaranteed. Once they pick up the option they can't part with him for at least 3 years without facing crippling dead cap. Then of course there is Luck's interest, which might be OK with sitting for part or all of a rookie season but isn't going to be OK with sitting for 2-3 seasons... His 5th year option as a first round rookie has to be exercised at the end of season 3 and it's for the franchise tag price guaranteed which will likely be close to $20M by then. And in the interim the cap charge for the position in Indy will be $23M or so. Irsay is on record saying you cannot be competitive with the position taking up $20M.

One of the reasons Manning came in at $18M was his determination to not allow Polian to hide behind his salary as an impediment to retaining or acquiring the talent he knew they needed to be competitive on his back nine. If he and Luck are entrenched for that stretch the team isn't going to be competitive for either of them...via the draft or FA including retaining your own...

From a patsfan perspective I hope they just add Luck to maintaining the status quo in hopes of striking lightening in a bottle at one position consecutively. I'd just as soon they don't ever build a program that can at least remain moderately functional even in the face of adversity like Bill eluded to this AM...

Plus there's no guarantee that Manning will recover the nerve functionality necessary for him to play at a high level. This uncertainty may well continue right up to (or significantly past) the deadline for the $28 million option bonus. Under the circumstances, the Colts must prepare themselves for the very real possibility that they will have to face life without Peyton Manning sooner rather than later. This may well be the only reasonable business decision available to them.

That's just one brutally tough call. Then they get to decide whether to put all of their eggs in one basket with Andrew Luck (no sure thing if only because nothing can be a sure thing) or try to deal the pick in an attempt to replenish an aging and thin roster (with possibly no viable options at QB). Colts fans better hope NaPolians I and II are up to it because the team faces years of mediocrity if the geniuses screw it up. Good luck with that.

Hot off the twitter presses, Peyton speaks...

JeffDarlington Jeff Darlington
Peyton Manning: "I don't know when the checkpoint is. I just hope for progress."
3 minutes ago »
Peyton Manning: "I've been in a three-month holding pattern. I have some questions I need to answer for myself (related to pain, soreness)."
5 minutes ago »
Will Peyton play this year? "It's hard to say. I have to practice first."
7 minutes ago »
Peyton Manning at his locker: "Throwing will be part of this next progression. I will be throwing."
7 minutes ago »
Peyton Manning: "It's nice to have the reigns taken off. The worst news I could have heard would have been you're not where you need to be."
9 minutes ago »
No signs of Peyton at practice -- which was to be expected. The "next stage" of rehab isn't likely to be a noticeable difference to public.
1 hour ago »

Oh, and Caldwell spoke earlier...LOL

Well, that's it from Caldwell, who basically made it clear that if you want to know anything about Manning, he's not really the guy to ask.
1 hour ago »
Does Caldwell think its appropriate for Peyton to return in '11? Says it's all about doctor outline, which isn't firm. Won't comment more.
2 hours ago »
Caldwell has not directly communicated with Peyton. How has he communicated? "Smoke signals," he joked. But really?! Really??
2 hours ago »
Colts coach Jim Caldwell on defining Peyton's next stage of rehab: "I don't know. I just know they're ramping it up a little bit."
2 hours ago

Plus there's no guarantee that Manning will recover the nerve functionality necessary for him to play at a high level. This uncertainty may well continue right up to (or significantly past) the deadline for the $28 million option bonus. Under the circumstances, the Colts must prepare themselves for the very real possibility that they will have to face life withoutPeyton Manning sooner rather than later. This may well be the only reasonable business decision available to them. That's just one brutally tough call. Then they get to decide whether to put all of their eggs in one basket with Andrew Luck (no sure thing if only because nothing can be a sure thing) or try to deal the pick in an attempt to replenish an aging and thin roster (with possibly no viable options at QB). Colts fans better hope NaPolians I and II are up to it because the team faces years of mediocrity if the geniuses screw it up. Good luck with that.

Generally the damaged nerves are supposed to regenerate in a matter of weeks (6-9) although it can take years. When his hadn't in 2 months is when the you know what hit the fan and he opted for stem cell and then after 4 months full blown panic set in and he went for the second (fixation) procedure. Through it all they are still waiting on the same nerves. It's now been 6 months and counting...although theoretically it can take up to two years in rare cases. If it takes him 2 years his career is over. If it takes more than another 90 days his career as a Colt may be over. Irsay loves to see himself talk via twitter but picking up that option blind and drafting Luck would be insanity.

Then too letting Peyton walk and simply transferring all your eggs into another hyped rookie's basket could be even more devastating long term unless the kid is actually better than Manning (who had a better coaching staff on offense and better weapons to work with from the outset). When Manning was a rookie his RB was Marshall Faulk...whom Polian shortly traded for Edggerin James. Harrison was there and Wayne soon followed and they all grew up together. As did a binky TE. And then another... And a pretty accomplished OL under Mudd's tutelage. Luck won't have any of that. All any of them know how to do is dance with Manning leading...because that's how he taught them to.

Generally the damaged nerves are supposed to regenerate in a matter of weeks (6-9) although it can take years. When his hadn't in 2 months is when the you know what hit the fan and he opted for stem cell and then after 4 months full blown panic set in and he went for the second (fixation) procedure. Through it all they are still waiting on the same nerves. It's now been 6 months and counting...although theoretically it can take up to two years in rare cases. If it takes him 2 years his career is over. If it takes more than another 90 days his career as a Colt may be over. Irsay loves to see himself talk via twitter but picking up that option blind and drafting Luck would be insanity.

Then too letting Peyton walk and simply transferring all your eggs into another hyped rookie's basket could be even more devastating long term unless the kid is actually better than Manning (who had a better coaching staff on offense and better weapons to work with from the outset). When Manning was a rookie his RB was Marshall Faulk...whom Polian shortly traded for Edggerin James. Harrison was there and Wayne soon followed and they all grew up together. As did a binky TE. And then another... And a pretty accomplished OL under Mudd's tutelage. Luck won't have any of that. All any of them know how to do is dance with Manning leading...because that's how he taught them to.

Regardless of which door they open, the Colts are DONE as a competitive franchise for the next few years. Were I the owner I'd see what the docs say in the spring and unless it's dire I'd gamble on The Forehead's health and trade the Luck pick for mucho players and rebuild, minus the Polians. It's not like he has to get the new stadium bill passed again. But unlike BB's rebuild of an aged SB winning team on the fly while still making the playoffs, the Colts have no base of coaching staff and 2nd decade of the 21st century GM to guide the risky process.

Sic Transit Gloria Equus

Regardless of which door they open, the Colts are DONE as a competitive franchise for the next few years. Were I the owner I'd see what the docs say in the spring and unless it's dire I'd gamble on The Forehead's health and trade the Luck pick for mucho players and rebuild, minus the Polians. It's not like he has to get the new stadium bill passed again. But unlike BB's rebuild of an aged SB winning team on the fly while still making the playoffs, the Colts have no base of coaching staff and 2nd decade of the 21st century GM to guide the risky process.

Sic Transit Gloria Equus

Actually, equus is a second declension noun used in the genitive case, so I believe it would be:

Sic transit gloria equi.

Glad to help. :cool:

Last edited:

Sic Transit Gloria Equus

So if they do decide to take the $28 million bet on Frankenstein, they'd still have to draft a QB, just not Andrew Luck.

Last edited:
Actually, equus is a second declension noun used in the genitive case, so I believe it would be:

Sic transit gloria equi.

Glad to help. :cool:

Equus is a creepy play about about a boy who rides naked on horse. This is the wrong week to think about that. Tebow and the Broncos are coming up.

I think you meant Sic transit Tebow equi.

Glad to help.

Last edited:
What about Peytons forehead? Its kinda tall.

Are they going to fix it?

Nope. Doctor said it's completely normal.:rolleyes:
1322547629_peyton.jpg

see thats what most other people dont understand. There are probably like 15 other teams who would trade for that pick. As our players age, our first pick for more picks! I can name many teams who will trade for Luck:

Redskins
Dolphins (maybe)
Jets (Dirty Sanchez's number suck)
Cleveland
Jaguars
Tennessee
Chiefs
Raiders
Cowboys
Vikings
Cardinals
Rams
Seahawks...

Redskins - agreed
Dolphins - agreed
Jets - Sanchez sucks, but he'll get at least one more year, especially at his current salary. He was a top-5 pick only two years ago.
Cleveland - agreed
Jaguars - *just* spent a high first rounder on a QB
Tennessee - *just* spent a high first rounder on a QB
Chiefs - Pioli likes Cassel, and isn't really a "give up all of your assets to move to #1" kind of GM.
Raiders - *just* traded two first rounders for a QB
Cowboys - Already have a top 10 QB who's in his prime.
Vikings - *just* spent a high first rounder on a QB
Cardinals - *just* traded two second rounders for Kolb
Rams - Spent the #1 overall pick on a QB last year.
Seahawks... - agreed

That's four teams. You've have to be delusional to think that the others are seriously thinking about paying a king's ransom for Luck.

There are others who I'd consider adding to the list, FWIW, most notably the 49ers. Harbaugh knows exactly what he would have in Luck, and that team is a QB away from being very competitive for a very long time. Alex Smith isn't the answer, and if Harbaugh wants Luck badly enough, the fact that they drafted Kaepernick last year won't stop them.

Last edited:

Just a rumor but the internet is aflutter with word that Peyton may be heading back overseas again. Some unspecified Euro only medical controversial treatment that uses lots of electricity. Word up is that it's a certain Dr Frankenstein who'll be doing the new FDA unapproved neck bolt tightening procedure.

Last edited:
Oh be SURE of one thing. Polian and the colts aren't TANKING all these games for nothing.......they ARE TANKING them to get their NEXT franchise QB... IF Manning comes back...it will be for one year at most while Luck learns and adjusts....and then he is OUT. In my honest opinion, I believe that he has,PLAYED HIS LAST game in the NFL. He will have.....IF he is as smart as I think he is....he will not want to jeopardize his future health/quality of living to take a risk on continuing to play ball....

If Manning is back,Luck will NOT be an Indianapolis Colt.......PERIOD!

The Colts will opt for a team giving them the kitchen sink in trades,then Polian will try and find a Tom Brady late in the draft

Luck is too big a prospect to be holding a clipboard for 3 or more years....it will never happen

I do think there is a chance that Peyton does consider retirement,then that's a different story,altogether.

This stuff about a neck injury is completely false! His programing had just went a little awry. That's why he lost so many games and threw so many INTs. His computer chips had confused DBs with friendly WRs. Now that they have fixed his programing he'll be back on the field soon.

Redskins - agreed
Dolphins - agreed
Jets - Sanchez sucks, but he'll get at least one more year, especially at his current salary. He was a top-5 pick only two years ago.
Cleveland - agreed
Jaguars - *just* spent a high first rounder on a QB
Tennessee - *just* spent a high first rounder on a QB
Chiefs - Pioli likes Cassel, and isn't really a "give up all of your assets to move to #1" kind of GM.
Raiders - *just* traded two first rounders for a QB
Cowboys - Already have a top 10 QB who's in his prime.
Vikings - *just* spent a high first rounder on a QB
Cardinals - *just* traded two second rounders for Kolb
Rams - Spent the #1 overall pick on a QB last year.
Seahawks... - agreed

That's four teams. You've have to be delusional to think that the others are seriously thinking about paying a king's ransom for Luck.

There are others who I'd consider adding to the list, FWIW, most notably the 49ers. Harbaugh knows exactly what he would have in Luck, and that team is a QB away from being very competitive for a very long time. Alex Smith isn't the answer, and if Harbaugh wants Luck badly enough, the fact that they drafted Kaepernick last year won't stop them.

Disagree, Tony Romo is not a QB who you keep in lieu of a potential once-in-a-generation QB. Jerry "Big Splash" Jones will not let Tony Romo's presence prevent him from pursuing Luck, (or even Jones or Barkley if they look like elite talents after the combine) if that is the direction he wants to go.

In fact, I think Jerry Jones is one of the most likely candidates to overpay if he wants Luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes