PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton Manning, ballwashing, and the MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
After last night's great comeback by the Broncos, here's this line from this espn story sidebar Denver Broncos vs. San Diego Chargers - Recap - October 15, 2012 - ESPN):

"Peyton Manning inserted himself in the MVP race and reshaped the AFC West by leading the Broncos' monster comeback"

Ok, so the media is now once again on the Peyton Manning for MVP bandwagon. But curiously, there's no mention whatsoever of Tom Brady. Let's compare:

Record:
Brady: 3-3
Manning: 3-3
*Brady's Patriots whipped Manning's Broncos 31-21 in week 5

Stats:
Brady: 65.8%, 1845 yds, 10 td, 3 int, 97.2 rating
Manning: 67.8%, 1808 yds, 14 td, 4 int, 105.0 rating
*Brady also leads the #1 offense in the league in both points scored and yards gained

Look, we all knew this was coming - that if Manning had a good year that he'd be hailed as an MVP candidate. Right now the Broncos are 3-3, which is a .500 team. Last year, without him, and with Tim Tebow, the Broncos were 8-8, which is a .500 team.

I'm not saying that Brady should be the league's MVP. I am saying that it never ceases to amaze me that Manning is *always* considered in the top group for MVP while, in this case, Brady isn't even mentioned.

it drives me crazy too . . . what I hate more is the whole "he doesnt have any weapons around him" rant we always see . . . Tebow went 7-4 last year . . . let see what Manning does with the same team . ..

Manning was great last night, but equal props need to go to the defense . . . it only yeilded 10 points on the two denver TOs, but got 14 points of their own, so the D had a net point total of plus 4 . . . meanwhile the offense and Peyton only had a net positive of 14 points (21 points scored minus 7 on a pick six) and I think some of those points started with good FP . . . so the D stopped the Chargers in the first half on the two Denver TOs, and then got 14 points on two TOs and three more TOs to boot in the 2nd half . . .

but people will complain about the teams around PM but yet not give them credit when they help out in times of need . . .

EDIT:

just to add more to teh facts . .. Manning had one good drive to start the seond half, then two other drives that started at midfield . . .

so Manning contribution to the game was one 80 yard drive and two 50 yard drives for TDs, which is good, but not all worldly . .. the two 50 yarders came off ints by the defense . . .

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Whether anyone here would care to admit it or not, his numbers ARE good, but the line didn't say he should win MVP, it said it moved him into MVP discussions.

Tom Brady's there, Ryan's there, etc. There's only 2 AFC teams above 3-3. Denver has had the hardest schedule in the NFL so far by a pretty healthy amount, and they're at .500 going into the bye.

What's wrong with Peyton as an MVP candidate? Brady is too. The league is wide open, so any team could step up in the last 10 games and really make a run, and it's more likely a QB to win it than anyone else, so...

But yeah, as a Patriots fan, I wouldn't see why this is an issue. I don't like the Patriots, and yet I don't have an issue with Tom Brady being in the MVP "discussion" right now.

It's early...who really cares.

WTF is wrong with some of you people? How could you argue that Manning isn't in the discussion? He's stride for stride with Rogers statistically and he just came off one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history against their division rival to take the division lead. They scored 35 unanswered (21 offensive) in the second half with Manning going 13-14, 167 yds and 3TDs (155.9 rating).

I'm not saying that Brady should be the league's MVP. I am saying that it never ceases to amaze me that Manning is *always* considered in the top group for MVP while, in this case, Brady isn't even mentioned.

Brady just choked away another game. Manning meanwhile led an amazing come from behind game-winning drive. Of course the hype engine will focus on Manning. And I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't deliver, don't expect to get attention. It's a what have you done for me lately league.

The worst part about last night was when Gruden just went off on his Manning jerking. He started talking about how if John Fox had Manning he would be 40-3. Hey Jon, you ****ing idiot, he was 2-3 with Manning when you said that. I've seen people stretch statistics, but that was just terrible.

anyone saw the manning's post game interview last night? he even mentioned wes welker :)

Welker's like that new action figure everyone wanted as a kid, lol. Every QB wants a Wes Welker for X-mass.

Welker's like that new action figure everyone wanted as a kid, lol. Every QB wants a Wes Welker for X-mass.

well actually, peyton's comment was i wouldn't trade stokely in the slot for anyone, i know welker's great but not even him

something like that

Bumped because another article (this time on cbssportsline.com) has Peyton as the MVP.

Manning: 68.5%, 2113 yds, 17 td, 4 int, team is 4-3
Brady: 65.3%, 2408 yds, 16 td, 3 int, team is 5-3, Pats beat Denver by 10 head-to-head

Again, Peyton Manning is constantly mentioned as an MVP but Brady isn't really being discussed at all. Which is strange, considering the season he's had so far.

Oh well. Let Peyton have the MVP....I'd rather see Tom walk away with Super Bowl MVP honors!!

At the end of the day, all that matters are the SB rings. Let Manning continue to expand his legacy as a great reg. season qb while Brady is making his case as the goat.

Peyton Manning was unlucky not to win the MVP last season. He's a perennial favorite.

It wouldn't have surprised me... 'look how important Manning is to the Colts, they suck without him'... thankfully they didn't stoop to that eventually.

He has the potential for 5 cold weather games going down the stretch. He'll probably luck out and get 50 degrees with no wind but I want to see what he does in inclement conditions for a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back