PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' ru

They should change the calls that are reviewable.

I don't know about this whole OT thing. A lot of people here whine about the OT rules because the Pats' 'bend but don't break' sucks when it comes to OT, as we bend all the way back to field goal range. They whine about it when we lose in OT.

On the other hand, as a temporary thing it would be fun to try and see if the players like it more, if it seems better.

Re: Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' ru

Am in favor of winning by 6 points which is the jist of this idea, to think that a team can win on a 54 yard fieldgoal or some such nonesense is not in a fan's best interest...

I don't read it that way, but I could be wrong. I think a team can still win by three as long as the other team gets a possession; you only need six to win on the first possession after the KO. That's fine with me.

The key, IMO, is to lengthen the field on the first OT possession by 30 yards or so, which is the difference between making a 47 yard FG and scoring a TD. My main problem with the current system is that if the receiving team takes over on its own 25, it only has to move the ball 45 yards to be in a good K's FG range. If they have any sort of a good runback, they might only have to move 30 yards. That's always seemed unfair to me.

The coin toss decides who has the bigger advantage. It's a fact that the receiving team in OT has an advantage. It hasn't been a huge issue (mainly due to the very small number of games that go to OT), but that doesn't mean it is fair.
Unfortunately, history just doesn't agree with your statement. This year, teams that won the coin toss were .500. So where is the unfairness?
It's not like discussing it or changing it is taking away from them doing something else. It's not at the top of the list of things to "fix", but it's not "perfect" like you seem to feel all rules in the NFL are.
I don't know why you would make such a silly remark. There are a lot of NFL rules that I would like to change, starting with instant replay rules.

Last edited:

Cardinals/Packers playoff game last season was one of those game everyone assumed the team who gets the ball first would win, seeing as how both offenses were explosive that day.

Yet in the end, Aaron Rodgers gives up a kick-6 and the Cardinals won.
+1. The current rule just isn't even remotely as big of a problem as some people seem to think it is.

+1. The current rule just isn't even remotely as big of a problem as some people seem to think it is.

The receiver has won 60% of the time since they moved the kickoff back to the 30. A number of things have conspired to make something that wasn't a problem into a problem - the change in the kickoff point, the emphasis on pass interference and roughing the passer penalties, the rule changes with respect to illegal contact, the increased accuracy of kickers. It's rather humorous that you point to one game to make your point when 15 years of data point to the opposite conclusion.

Unfortunately, history just doesn't agree with your statement. This year, teams that won the coin toss were .500. So where is the unfairness?

How many OT games were there this year? My statement also is not in disagreement with anything. My statement is a logical fact. However I have intentionally left out discussing how much impact on the outcome the advantage has.

I don't know why you would make such a silly remark. There are a lot of NFL rules that I would like to change, starting with instant replay rules.

Because this is the 2nd obviously stupid rule you've defended.

Definitely makes things fairer. We've been on both sides of the coin (Snow bowl we benefitted, couple key regular season games in recent years we were hurt by it) so I don't think my opinion is biased. IMO both teams should get possessions until one tops the other but this is still much fairer than the current system.

I'd like to see the 6 points rule.

Well the rule passed, starting in the playoffs. Can't win it on a field goal on the opening possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft