PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' ru

Always good to see these leagues fixing the things that aren't broken and ignoring the real problems.

It is broken...the nfl ot rule as it is today is the dumbest rule in all of sports.

Re: Peter King: NFL Competition Committee will consider a "modified sudden death'' ru

It is broken...the nfl ot rule as it is today is the dumbest rule in all of sports.

It's not even close to being the worst rule in football, so It's not even in the same universe as "the dumbest rule in all of sports".

It's not even close to being the worst rule in football, so It's not even in the same universe as "the dumbest rule in all of sports".

Are you going to explain what in your opinion is a dumb rule?

I'm still trying to figure out why some people think that defenses aren't allowed to play in overtime....

Don't want them to kick a FG? Don't let them cross the 50 yard line!

I love the OT rule as is. It creates instant drama on every play in overtime for both sides. Both sides can make a winning play at any given point.

I'm still trying to figure out why some people think that defenses aren't allowed to play in overtime....

Don't want them to kick a FG? Don't let them cross the 50 yard line!

I love the OT rule as is. It creates instant drama on every play in overtime for both sides. Both sides can make a winning play at any given point.
If defenses were allowed to play, then yes, but as long as defenses are restricted in favor of offensive scoring... :confused2:

Cardinals/Packers playoff game last season was one of those game everyone assumed the team who gets the ball first would win, seeing as how both offenses were explosive that day.

Yet in the end, Aaron Rodgers gives up a kick-6 and the Cardinals won.

It'll be weird to see teams elect to kick-off, in some games.
I recall the Pats beating Tampa Bay late in the year on a cold day, defensive battle, around 1987. Ray Perkins elected to kick off because neither team ha moved the ball all day. Tony Eason was the quarterback, moved the Pats to about the 30 and New England kicked a field goal to win the game. Tampa Bay had won the toss and lost the game without ever having possession of the ball. I think the Bucs fired Perkins at the end of that season - though he did eventually reunite with Parcells and Belichick in New York and New England.

Here's what is going to decide if the overtime rule does get changed, and how it will be changed:

Television

Currently television is the big reason for the current overtime rules. If there has to be overtime, they want it to be quick, in order to fit in with their schedules. We think of it as being an exciting ratings bonanza; they look at as a nuisance that messes up their schedule. They have already sold their advertising, and overtime isn't going to really change the ratings enough to make a difference. So for the regular season, they want the current rules to stay intact.

For the playoffs though, that could be different. With only a couple games on over the whole weekend and an entire national audience tuned in, a playoff game could be a bonanza. They might even be able to sell advertising based on whether there were five quarters or four, which would vastly improve their profits. So for the playoffs, television networks may be very much in favor of a longer overtime, whether it is at least two possessions or an entire 15-minute period.

Why not have a 10 minute over time? If one team puts up an additional 21 points, so be it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I believe this past season had an even 50-50 split in teams who won the coin toss going on to win the game. This is nowhere near the problem some think it is.

Since they moved the KO back to the 30 yard line it's been about 60/40. Maybe there was a time, when teams ran the ball 50 times a game, when the secondary could mug receivers, when pass interference/roughing the passer wasn't so routinely called, when the KO was at the 35, that the coinflip was not a big deal. Now, it most certainly is.

It should be first to 8. Would be way more exciting. :)

Am in favor of winning by 6 points which is the jist of this idea, to think that a team can win on a 54 yard fieldgoal or some such nonesense is not in a fan's best interest...

If defenses were allowed to play, then yes, but as long as defenses are restricted in favor of offensive scoring... :confused2:

This is my biggest reason for favoring a rule change. If this were ten years ago, I wouldn't care as much, but in the interest of "making the game more entertaining" most rule changes (or re-emphasis of existing rules) have favored the offense.

Disagree with the idea that giving each team a possession is more fair than the current system. What that would do is give an advantage to the team that gets the ball second, in that they would know what they have to do (score a td or fg) which is info the first team wouldn't have.

Not sure the current system is the best one, but don't know that I've heard a better alternative yet.

Not sure what to do about the regular season, but I think in the playoffs overtime should just be a whole 15-minute period.

I agree. There needs to be a simple rule change. "Each team will have at least one possession"

I always thought it should be a MINIMUM of (1) possession each, who cares how many points?
If team A wins the toss, they get ball, if they score 3 points they kickoff to the other team(B), if team B scores 0 they lose, if they score 6 they win, if they score 3 then it's a tie and they kickoff, then whoever scores next wins.
7 points by team A would require 7 by team B or the game is over, this shouldn't be so difficult.

I don't think it should be the AMOUNT of pts, but just give BOTH teams at least 1 possession, after that it's been made a bit fairer than just a coin toss

I like the idea of giving a team a chance to come back if the other team makes a FG on its initial OT possession; on the other hand if a team can punch the ball into the End Zone on the first possession, the game should be over. This lengthens the field by 30 yards on that possession.

I don't think they mean "first team to 6" though, as the game should be over in the event: 1) that the team that is trailing by three can't tie or win the game on its first possession or 2) the team that gets the ball after the other team fails to score on its first possession gets a FG.

i don't think they should pilot this in the Playoffs, but rather do it for one season, including playoff and regular games.

The Lions actually did that in 2002.

Needless to say, the Bears scored on their first possession and won the game.

And that's why the Lions are the LIons. :)

IMO, the spot foul PI rule needs to be changed before anything. But the OT rule sucks, also.:mad: So I'll take what I can get.

IS there any doubt in anyones mind that if Indy beat San Diego on the first OT possession in 08 and Minnesota beat New Orleans on the first OT possession this year that this is never brought up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back