PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King contiues to misrepresent SpyGate (Yet, he wants back in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot stand Peter King, but like a car accident, I cannot look away from his columns. I am tempted to send him an angry e-mail telling him to (Please be quiet - edited) about Spygate, but that will just give him ammo to highlight it again in his Tuesday morning mailbag. GRRR.

Oh please don't send him an angry mail because he is bound to dismiss it as an irrational homer.

On the other hand, please consider sending him a polite email (as I intend to do) giving excerpts from BB's interview to CBS back then and asking him to reconsider his views. A well written email stands at least some chance of getting him to read and consider the points IMO.

Instead of getting mad about this misrepresentation, I am going to act in a calm manner and hopefully put out a decent response.

In '07 I felt King was one of those - more so than others - that really grabbed on to the SG story and would absolutely not let it go. Others in the media were beating the same dead horse, but for other reasons. Gregg Easterbrook had his connections with Specter and Comcast - he had been writing about antitrust and the Sunday Ticket for some time previously - and he used the SG story to further that agenda. Gary Myers wrote incessantly about it to pander to his audience of Jet fans. Most everyone could care less about the facts; they were just looking to sell more papers, increase ratings, and boost their profits.

Many wrote about cheating and an unfair advantage, but King was the only one that seemed to sincerely be morally bothered by the incident. I think to him he equated it with baseball players using steroids and in his eyes ruining a quaint game. The issue I have with King both then and now is that he has never appeared to have done even the slightest bit of research into the practices of filming and of stealing signals. His usage of the phrase 'secretly videotaping' shows how little he still knows even now, while at the same time recklessly perpetuating a myth about the event. That's just shoddy journalism.

With such a poor effort to get his facts right, it's no wonder that King does not understand SG. For the Patriots to continue to be successful, it must be very bothersome for someone like King because it shatters his incorrect belief in what actually happened, and the effects that the filming had on winning.

Well said. Peter the Queen of All Media considers himself the Voice of his football Generation,
similar to the role Bob Costas gave himself for baseball.
IOW, if one continously promotes something to appear more important than it actually is,
then that person appears more important than he actually is.

I echo the sentiment of many here when I say to Pepe: GFY. You might want others to believe that you're giving us a compliment by this dredge,
but we know that you know that you're not.

Last edited:
You mean the video taping didn't have an effect in the outcome? We have only been saying that for three years:rolleyes:

I actually don't mind King's column, and I believe his intention was to credit Belichick's ability as a phenomenal coach by saying any claim of cheating to win is undercut by the results since Spygate. It's a tough argument to make because it starts with the statement that he was caught cheating. Most will read no further. If the readers hate Belichick, then that is all the argument they need to support their conclusion that they hate him. As a subject, Spygate does not inspire rational thought.

I for one like the fact fans of other teams hate Belichick because it tells me he is still relevant.

If it was the Bengals who were the ones involved with this fraudulent case it wouldnt make it to espn. The Patriots have broken so many hearts and minds with are relentless victories.. people want to hate us but the more you hate the more you will potentially fuel the fires inside of BB and TB.

whenever anyone mentions "spygate" or "cheating" it's like a genetic marker that tells me they don't know crap about football or sports in general. the only crime the patriots committed was breaking too many hearts at bspn.

Just you wait. Peter King is laying the foundation of something else. That is, maybe they are cheating again.

This BS has got to stop and coaches and players need to step up and tell these fat, never played a competitive sport, losers to STF up.

I actually don't mind King's column, and I believe his intention was to credit Belichick's ability as a phenomenal coach by saying any claim of cheating to win is undercut by the results since Spygate. It's a tough argument to make because it starts with the statement that he was caught cheating. Most will read no further. If the readers hate Belichick, then that is all the argument they need to support their conclusion that they hate him. As a subject, Spygate does not inspire rational thought.

I for one like the fact fans of other teams hate Belichick because it tells me he is still relevant.

Whatever the true intention in his column today Pepe King continues to mislead when it comes to Spygate. How SECRETIVE (Pepe's word) is videotaping when it's done by someone wearing a Patriot logo on his shirt and standing out in the open on the sidelines for the whole world to see? That's my big problem with King and the other mediots when it comes to SpyGate. THREE YEARS AND COUNTING of complete misrepresentation of what really when on. That is what pisses me off about SpyGate. The intentional misleading of the greater public and media agenda behind it.

Last edited:
Peter King's strength is not football knowledge, but access to team and league personnel. Unfortunately for him, the Patriots are once again the headliners of the sport. Without access to anybody in the organization, other guys like Lombardi, Mayock, and Reiss are going to start competing for page views. Moving to Boston seemed like a questionable move on his part--he has about as much access to the Patriots as the beat writer for the San Diego Chargers.

we gotta find a way to make a documentary on spygate, and set all the effin lies straight

make it a 30 for 30 film, those are usually good, and make it so that its factual

we gotta find a way to make a documentary on spygate, and set all the effin lies straight

make it a 30 for 30 film, those are usually good, and make it so that its factual

Agree 100 percent.. there really is to much misinformation out there on this. Writers and opposing fans pretty much say whatever they want and believe it. Problem is most of these idiots would probably ignore the truth in a well done documentary special as well. 30 for 30 would be nice though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand