PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perillo: Mayo makes "play of camp"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, lots of sarcastic replies to this thread.

Let's review that play - A ROOKIE made a play on the 1 yard line against a Third Year Running back that we ALL expect to have a great year this year - Not to mention the Veterans that he would have had to get thru and by to get to Lawrence - On BOTH sides of the ball.

Yea, I'm with ya - I think we got someone special in Mayo and I'm impressed.

Lighten up folks - By all accounts this Mayo kid is going to a nice addition.

And don't forget that the more stories like this we hear, the less likely we have drafted a 1st round bust.

Thanks for the post!

Meyo looks good, but asking if "we can believe what is happening" over a single good play, in camp.....is a bit much imo.

Lots of guys make big plays in camp, don't mean much. Your are in your comfort zone (somewhat) in camp. A live game, vs talented rivals, and live plays is a different animal.

Last edited:
PerilloOh no, he's a bust, he's a bust. Aaaah. Hall of fame. :)

Wait, Maroney caught a 12 yard pass... is there anything this kid can't do? Canton here he comes!

Even more impressive coming against the Canton-bound rookie!

Honestly I have not read every report about TC. I follow Reiss and Mrs B's and a few others - but not every single practice. Still from what I have read, it sounds very encouraging about Mayo. It could be better but he HAS made some plays against the first team offense.

So in my feeble mind, I have already given him my TC (pass/fail) grade of PASS. Now he has to prove to me that he can handle 'the heat of the battle'. You know - when the live bullets are flying. Hopefully the pre-season games will give us also a positive impression of his 'cool under fire' temperment. Then again, Cassell looks pretty good in pre-season games, but just seems to look like a deer in the headlights roadkill when he is thrust into a regular season game.....

Hopefully Mayo will get his gametime Zen from Bradys' mojo and not Casells.:cool:
Cassel looked pretty good against Miami his rookie year. Last season he got burned by Jason Taylor and never saw significant time after that. I still believe that Cassel can do a good job for the Pats, the issue is with his field vision; he hasn't played much since high school and for all the practice reps he's taken, he just doesn't see the field at game speed yet. Should he ever have a chance for some extended playing time I think he'll prove to be a servicable NFL QB.

Cassel looked pretty good against Miami his rookie year. Last season he got burned by Jason Taylor and never saw significant time after that. I still believe that Cassel can do a good job for the Pats, the issue is with his field vision; he hasn't played much since high school and for all the practice reps he's taken, he just doesn't see the field at game speed yet. Should he ever have a chance for some extended playing time I think he'll prove to be a servicable NFL QB.
This is like that separation argument -- how much is talent and how much is a combination of coaching and live fire training. It's so much harder for QBs because you can learn separation in practice, but QBs wear red jerseys all the time except in games, which (knock on wood) backups only play in August.

Is field vision under that kind of pressure learned or is it a special talent? I think it's both, that guys like Brady are both born and trained. There are so few top QBs compared to the number of 6'5" 230-pound young men who would like to make $10 million a year, that I have to believe it's more than just opportunity and hard work.

I'm not ready to rule out Cassel, he really hasn't had enough playing time under live fire, but I've lowered my expectations a whole lot. Given that they spent a third round pick, the Patriots might have also.

Last edited:
Wow. We drafted a guy that can stop Maroney at the goal line.

No surprises there.:rolleyes: I bet we wouldn't see the same outcome for Sammy Smith and Lamont Jordan.:cool:

Last edited:
I'm not ready to rule out Cassel, he really hasn't had enough playing time under live fire, but I've lowered my expectations a whole lot. Given that they spent a third round pick, the Patriots might have also.

Or, perhaps, they know that Cassel wants the chance to compete for a starter's job, which he simply will not get in Foxboro. . . .

I remember Sammy fumbling Smith with Dolphins though

That was a Freudian slip. My guess is PatsFan2 was or still is a Dolphin fan.

Been a Pats fan for 24 years now that's how long i have been in America and lived in Boston.:)

Last edited:
Boy, the thread police are all over this, aren't they? I think Mayo will be a good one, but I need to see him play first. I'm going to watch the preseason game like a hawk to see what Mayo does. I am excited about him though and I think it helps our defense to go up against the most prolific offense in NFL history day in and day out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back