PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peek-a-boo Mock

ayjackson

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Everybody needs a starting point. Lets throw some names out there and see what it looks like.

I think I'll work on the assumption that Wilfork and the RFA's return.

1. Jason Pierre-Paul, OLB, South Florida

Really nice crop of OLB's; can't wait for the combine; could go a lot of ways.

2. Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State

Not certain of the need at the position (not sure if Pryor or Wright would suffice at RDE), but a couple of tempting prospects in Odrick and Dunlap.

2. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU

I'm really looking to add some talent to the WR position. I'm not sold on Moss having much left next year.

2. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois

Insert top available guard here.

4. Bryan Anderson, WR, Central Michigan

Academic All American; great size; good top end speed; tough competitor. I think he makes a good work in progress.

I'd also like to trade our own 2011 #1 to get another pick in the top of this draft, or to trade for my long time binky Tashard Choice.

If there were a way to get Jared Odrick or Greg Hardy in this draft and re-sign Vince Wilfork, the 3 man front would look amazing. I like Antonio Coleman at the OLB position and/or look hard at Micah Johnson from Kentucky.

Odrick and Harvey seem to have great size for the defensive line, in the mold of a Ty Warren or Richard Seymour. They can hold the line, as well as push up field.

Coleman seems to be a tweener with the ability to handle offensive linemen and pressure the quarterback. I'm sure he was adequate at dropping back into coverage in college, but he'll obviously need to work on that in the pros.

Micah Johnson is rising up to be a favorite of mine. The guy his a hard hitting, tackling machine. Watching film of him weed through the offensive line to find the ball carrier is just short of watching Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher on Sunday. I want this guy bad to pair up with Mayo in the middle. Micah and Mayo... I like the sound of that!

Basically, I liked when the defense sent the tone for the game and Brady efficiently managed the game (a la the Super Bowl years).

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody needs a starting point. Lets throw some names out there and see what it looks like.

I think I'll work on the assumption that Wilfork and the RFA's return.

1. Jason Pierre-Paul, OLB, South Florida

Really nice crop of OLB's; can't wait for the combine; could go a lot of ways.

2. Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State

Not certain of the need at the position (not sure if Pryor or Wright would suffice at RDE), but a couple of tempting prospects in Odrick and Dunlap.

2. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU

I'm really looking to add some talent to the WR position. I'm not sold on Moss having much left next year.

2. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois

Insert top available guard here.

4. Bryan Anderson, WR, Central Michigan

Academic All American; great size; good top end speed; tough competitor. I think he makes a good work in progress.

I'd also like to trade our own 2011 #1 to get another pick in the top of this draft, or to trade for my long time binky Tashard Choice.

Why JPP in the first? What do you see from him that makes you think he could succeed in our defense?

I'll throw mine in with a little trade.

1 Jared Odrick - DE - PSU - Too many people talking about him already to Pats. So, you know we won't draft him.

2 Trade up to 33. 42 AND 48 FOR 33 AND 65. If B.Graham from michigan tests out athletically in combines/workouts i'd take him. If not, J.Hughes - TCU. I admit that I haven't seen a lot of Hughes. But, most reports like him.

2 Mike Johnson - G - Alabama - We slide him to RG. Looks like a good run blocker.

3 acquired in trade - Another olb. O.Schofield - Wisconsin. Looked great against Miami in bowl game. Very fluid. Sometimes the guy drafted later ends up being the better player. Like Pryor and Brace. And, we can't afford to wait on olb's.

I'm just not crazy about the wr's/te's in this draft. I know we need 1 of each. But, hoping we can fill those holes in the free-agency market. Take a rb or two in rounds 4 and 5. If our defensive guys work out and youngsters we already have improve. Our defense will be better going forward.
Also, the 2011 draft is loaded with wr's.

Last edited:
22 - Carlos Dunlop, DE/OLB, Florida, if he's available and interviews well with the team, or the best value remaining, e.g. CJ Spiller (RB)/Jonathan Dwyer (RB)/Jermaine Gresham (TE) (if BB rates the latter highly and we don't retain Watson)

42/44 - Greg Hardy, DE/OLB, Ole Miss or/Greg Romerus, DE/OLB, Pitt, if we don't pick Dunlop, otherwise Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky.

47/48 - Vladimir Ducasse, OG/OT, Mass (start him at RG, with a possible future move to RT)

53 - Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

If there is sufficient talent remaining I would also consider trading a pick from next year into this year, e.g. a 2nd from next year for a high 3rd this year to pick someone like Jared Veldheer (OT, Hillsdale) or Patrick Robinson (CB, Florida State) - Walter Football genuinely have him falling all the way to the mid-3rd round. We could even trade our own 1st in 2011 for a 2nd this year, but we're talking about bargain of the century falls at that point.

Why JPP in the first? What do you see from him that makes you think he could succeed in our defense?

Just going on ratings at ESPN and a few other reviews. How would I know if any OLB could succeed in our defence - we've never drafted one. After the fact, I could imagine Ware, Merriman, Woodley, Spencer succeeding, but right now, all I have to go on are a limited number of measurables and very early assessments from few trusted online sources. I barely watch college ball, but it doesn't stop me from learning about the prospects this time of year and initiating discussion around them.

1 Jared Odrick - DE - PSU - Too many people talking about him already to Pats. So, you know we won't draft him.

2 Trade up to 33. 42 AND 48 FOR 33 AND 65. If B.Graham from michigan tests out athletically in combines/workouts
i'd take him. If not, J.Hughes - TCU.
I admit that I haven't seen a lot of Hughes. But, most reports like him.

2 Mike Johnson - G - Alabama - We slide him to RG. Looks like a good run blocker.

3 acquired in trade - Another olb. O.Schofield - Wisconsin. Looked great against Miami in bowl game.
Very fluid. Sometimes the guy drafted later ends up being the better player.

22 - Carlos Dunlop, DE/OLB, Florida, if he's available and interviews well with the team, or the best value remaining, e.g. CJ Spiller (RB)/Jonathan Dwyer (RB)/Jermaine Gresham (TE) (if BB rates the latter highly and we don't retain Watson)

42/44 - Greg Hardy, DE/OLB, Ole Miss or/Greg Romerus, DE/OLB, Pitt, if we don't pick Dunlop, otherwise Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky.

47/48 - Vladimir Ducasse, OG/OT, Mass (start him at RG, with a possible future move to RT)

53 - Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

Both of these would be nice draft's for us.
I really hope we get Mike Johnson - G - Alabama

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back