PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats work out OLB Matt Roth and C/G Chris Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roth might not have too many sacks, but with Wilfork and Haynesworth wrecking havoc he should be able to easily get more. If Osi is not an option, this would be a great fit and far less expensive.

I remember hearing somewhere Roth was top 10 in the league in QB pressuers or something, a helpful stat and one you dont really get paid too much for. He'd fit in well in balancing out the D, plus he looks like he should live under a bridge clubbing small forest animals and eating peoples bones. Thats fine with me
Sacks are exciting, but QB pressures are the important stat. They cause QBs to make mistakes. Think Vrabel in Warner's face in XXXVI, and Warner flipping the ball into Ty Law's hands for a picksix. Total up sacks, knockdowns, hits and pressures and you can compare pass rushers better than just sacks.

Report: Patriots Workout Matt Roth

Report: Patriots Workout Matt Roth
By: Derek Havens

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reported this morning that the two sides haven't made any progress, and it appears that things may be taking a turn for the worst....

Sacks are exciting, but QB pressures are the important stat. They cause QBs to make mistakes. Think Vrabel in Warner's face in XXXVI, and Warner flipping the ball into Ty Law's hands for a picksix. Total up sacks, knockdowns, hits and pressures and you can compare pass rushers better than just sacks.

I mentioned that earlier. We can use another example from the Colts game last season. The way Manning was shredding our defense in the 4th quarter, a 1st down sack by Cunninham wouldn't have guaranteed a win. But the pressure he put on Manning forced a bad throw right to James Sanders and that truly ended it.

Like you said, sacks don't tell the whole story. Over the years, I've seen Brady go a game and not get sacked but still get knocked down a dozen times. I've seen him get blown up for a sack 2 or 3 times in a game, and not get touched beyond that. Pressure is all I want. Sacks are just a bonus.

Roth would be an excellent pickup for us. He is very much the prototypical BB OLB.
Comparisons to Vrabel are appropriate, if done with the understanding that if you 100 "Vrabels" in maybe 20 will grow into having the kind of career he did, but most of the other 80 will at least be worthwhile.

Roth has 12.5 sacks in 3 years in a 34.
Vrabel has 48 in 8 years and only exceeded 5.5 twice.
Vrabel wasn't a great Patriot because of sacks, he was a great Patriot because he was a versatile, team player, and did everything you need an OLB to do, including creating sacks for other players.

It would be interesting to know how much interest is/has received from other teams. I guess his agent has overinflated his worth because it has been a week into free agency and he is still out there. He might get a 1 year 'prove it contract' - maybe. We'll see in the next 24 hours how serious the Pats interest is.

As has been noted, probably not much. The 'Phins cut him and the Browns don't want him back. He is big, can set the edge and has a good motor. But as far as providing help with the pass rush, in 6 years his numbers aren't very good. He also looks someone stiff to me. I still find it hard to believe that Profootballtalk.com had him as a top 20 FA. He might work as a rotational guy, but in my opinion he's not the starter that some people think he is.

QB pressures are just fine with me. Mike Vrabel's pressure on Kurt Warner in Super Bowl 36 led to a Ty Law pick 6. We don't need sacks every play, we just need uncomfortable QBs.

I nominate you for poster of the year.:)

Sign him before the god damn eagles find out they missed somebody(seriously WHERE is this money coming from :confused: ).

I welcome the addition. Just because it appears we are moving to the 43 doesn't mean we won't be running 34 and other formations. Hope we get him.

One of these LB's is going to break out with Big Vince and Planet Haynesworth. I just don't know who yet.

Roth is not a pass rusher. He's more of a run-stopping OLB. I don't see him offering much more than Ninkovich in terms of production. Ninko is probably a better pass rusher--just hasn't had the same amount of playing time in his career.

If they want to play Roth on early downs and then bring in someone else as a rusher, that's fine with me. I'd still like to see where Ninkovich is at. He's never had an opportunity to develop before, and I thought he showed some potential at times last year. Not as much as Cunningham, but still showed a bit.

Ninko has been in the league for 5 years now. There is no more development to do.
He is what he is, and that's all there is.

And the jury's still out determining if Cunningham can become even what Ninko is now.

Ninko has been in the league for 5 years now. There is no more development to do.
He is what he is, and that's all there is.

He was done developing after 4 years too, wasn't here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News