PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats were interested in trading 4 Fitzgerald in 2013 but never initiated trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Pmen

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Per Tom Curran:

@tomecurran
Individual just told me Pats were interested in dealing for Larry Fitzgerald last offseason. And this person I believe without reservation

Hopefully, this will put the rest the whining that the Pats don't do enough to put talent around Brady while he's in his prime. :rolleyes:

Per Tom Curran:

@tomecurran
Individual just told me Pats were interested in dealing for Larry Fitzgerald last offseason. And this person I believe without reservation

Hopefully, this will put the rest the whining that the Pats don't do enough to put talent around Brady while he's in his prime. :rolleyes:
Or it could just add to it. They tried but didn't do enough to get him. I'm sure the asking price was too high.

What's more drool-worthy for me is that if they were interested last year, you'd have to think they're even more interested this year while he has one season's less money on the hook.

There may be a few folks who are not altogether impressed with an "interest." It didn't help much last year...

Mary Paoletti?

They should've tried harder.

Larry Fitzgerald

drooling_homer-712749.gif2.png

I wonder whether the asking price was charismatic Arizona alum Gronk.

I have a hard time believing that Arizona was going to take a $20M cap hit to trade Fitzgerald. His # for AZ was 10.5m if kept, 20.0m if cut/traded

I can see this year being in play for AZ 18M cap hit, 10M if traded or cut

Also remember the rumors the Pats were going to send their 1st rounder for Victor Cruz instead of signing Amendola or Welker? They were definitely trying to get an elite WR....

That's good news because it obviously means that Belichick recognizes the need to get a big talent for Brady to finish has career with. that said there is no way AZ trades Fitzgerald given the way they finished their season.

Serious question: would you trade Gronk for Fitzgerald?

A couple of seasons ago I would have said no way. But with Gronk continuously missing in the biggest games, and with the fact that his style of play probably won't let him have a career past 28-30 (and that's being generous) I would seriously consider it.

Having said that, it would be amazing to have both Gronk and Fitzgerald on the field at the same time.

Do you know why I say "in Belichick I trust"?..

Its not because I think he doesn't make mistakes..

It's not because I think he doesn't deserve criticism..

It's not because I'm a sheep and can't be bothered to think on my own.

It's because I recognize my/our comparative ignorance and the fact that there is SO SO SO SO SO much information and context with every decision that even the most fanatic and well-informed of fans just has no inkling of.

Even the media "insiders" probably aren't privy to even half of it in my opinion.

... So Belichick has been trying to put an elite receiver on the team afterall.

Per Tom Curran:

@tomecurran

Story floated out by Belichick's toady and swallowed whole. :rolleyes:

Thank God they didn't dip into that $4M of unused cap space.

(Yes I know, his cap hit would be more than $4M but I'm still bitter)

Depending on his future cap hits/willingness to restructure I'd gladly send the Cardinals the first rounder this year and a conditional next year if that will get the deal done.

Although I wouldn't be too shocked if the "interest" was a phone call asking what it would take to make Arizona listen.

Per Tom Curran:

@tomecurran

:confused:

NOT making the deal is supposed to quiet claims that the team didn't do enough?

Serious question: would you trade Gronk for Fitzgerald?

A couple of seasons ago I would have said no way. But with Gronk continuously missing in the biggest games, and with the fact that his style of play probably won't let him have a career past 28-30 (and that's being generous) I would seriously consider it.

Having said that, it would be amazing to have both Gronk and Fitzgerald on the field at the same time.

Only if Fitz was willing to take a paycut. And I say that without knowing the particulars of his deal, but I know it's large and he's getting up there in age.

Only if Fitz was willing to take a paycut. And I say that without knowing the particulars of his deal, but I know it's large and he's getting up there in age.

» Over the Cap- Larry Fitzgerald Salary Cap and Contract Page

2014 12.75m
2015 8.0m+8M roster bonus
2016 15.0m
2017 14.75m
2018 14.75m

AZ would get hit with
2014 10M cap hit if traded/cut. 20M cap hit if still there
2015 5M cap hit if traded/cut. 21.25m cap hit if still there

And after no dead money if cut. Just the salary on the cap
2016-15.0
2018 14.75