PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats = Ugly Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh.... people like that who are always b*tching and moaning about how horrible America is are the last people that would ever leave because they know deep down how truly great it is to be here.

And the people who are telling everyone to leave are usually the ones *****ing the most (taxes too high, abortions, prayer in schools, etc.)

Wildo, easy big fella.

The post was simply meant to make fun of a stereo type.

Sorry if it pushes a button.

Obviously you can say what you want. But, it is just a joke. People gang up on entities, countries, teams. And people are certainly ganging up on the Pats.

Sports teams are natural Flagships of countries. The olympics used to really underscore this. You may not like the idea of Nationalism. It's cool if you feel that way. But it is a natural occurance to use a team as a symbol. I have simply put the pats with America.

I was answering a question. I definitely don't like nationalism, it's a major shortcut to thinking.

Anyone who writes off all Americans as ugly is stupid just as anyone who writes off all French in a similar fashion is just as stupid.

I don't think people hate Americans. I have been everywhere and have been treated with respect and hospitality in all places including France. People hate our government, but it seems half of our own citizens hate it too.
I was going to say I didn't like the analogy, but you explained it well for me.

I think the Chargers are the ugly Americans. They think they're a great team, but the results beg to differ.

But I'll stop here. This is quickly headed the political forum.

lol lol lol.

Watch out though. There is probably someone from the lack-of-boob league who will call you out.

Let them. Once they get to fully appreciate a giant set of norks they will follow..

I was answering a question. I definitely don't like nationalism, it's a major shortcut to thinking.

Anyone who writes off all Americans as ugly is stupid just as anyone who writes off all French in a similar fashion is just as stupid.

You would like to see a world community. Ok. Cool.

But there are people who don't agree with you. Divisions between teams, cultures, and countries are real. Actually, we love them. I don't want every team to look the same. I want the TOs of the world to be there so I can root against them. And, I want to enjoy wonderful things from France, and England, and where ever, and I want them to be as French as possible. I want them to be different Wildo. Most people understand this. We want real Coffee. We want real people from Russia. We don't want pretend folks. But, we know that there are differences that add to competition. And this competition naturally breads a certain contempt. It does not have to be filled with such vitriol. It is just healthy competition. Relax. Competition is good. "Different kinds of people" is good.

But, I have a feeling that this aspect of the argument is not as important to you. You want to teach folks something about what you have read or seen. Ok. Teach away. Other people have traveled too ya know? And how cool is it to play soccer with a bunch of folks who speak only spanish, and they are making fun of you because you are a gringo, but you are actually doing quite well? And you can see that they really love you for it. And you know why, cause you are competing with them. It is one of the best languages in the world. And, it is also one of the best complements.

You would like to see a world community. Ok. Cool.

But there are people who don't agree with you. Divisions between teams, cultures, and countries are real. Actually, we love them. I don't want every team to look the same. I want the TOs of the world to be there so I can root against them. And, I want to enjoy wonderful things from France, and England, and where ever, and I want them to be as French as possible. I want them to be different Wildo. Most people understand this. We want real Coffee. We want real people from Russia. We don't want pretend folks. But, we know that there are differences that add to competition. And this competition naturally breads a certain contempt. It does not have to be filled with such vitriol. It is just healthy competition. Relax. Competition is good. "Different kinds of people" is good.

But, I have a feeling that this aspect of the argument is not as important to you. You want to teach folks something about what you have read or seen. Ok. Teach away. Other people have traveled too ya know? And how cool is it to play soccer with a bunch of folks who speak only spanish, and they are making fun of you because you are a gringo, but you are actually doing quite well? And you can see that they really love you for it. And you know why, cause you are competing with them. It is one of the best languages in the world. And, it is also one of the best complements.

What an absurd spin. I too want them to be different which is why this analogy is wrong. When it comes to sports, the whole point is the division and competition between the teams. In real life these divisions have real problems (i.e. war, oppression etc.)

Whether you care to take part in it or not, we already have a world community. Cultural differences are what makes the world interesting, and I'm all for protecting these cultures from the cultural dilution that comes from economic globalization and American foreign policy, which is my whole point. If you want "real coffee" you'd worry that Starbucks will make it impossible for French coffee houses to survive, for example. When we start hating each other for our cultural differences they become divisions and that's what is fostered when people say "I hate the French' or "I hate Americans.

Last edited:
What an absurd spin. I too want them to be different which is why this analogy is wrong. When it comes to sports, the whole point is the division and competition between the teams. In real life these divisions have real problems (i.e. war, oppression etc.)

Whether you care to take part in it or not, we already have a world community. Cultural differences are what makes the world interesting, and I'm all for protecting these cultures from the cultural dilution that comes from economic globalization and American foreign policy, which is my whole point. If you want "real coffee" you'd worry that Starbucks will make it impossible for French coffee houses to survive, for example. When we start hating each other for our cultural differences they become divisions and that's what is fostered when people say "I hate the French' or "I hate Americans.

Absurd spin. No, clarification so the tangent won't continue. But, it no workee.

I can simply say that I respect your desire to scraiten it all out for me.

I guess that we just disagree about something. Not really sure if that something can be clarified. Cause no one said they hate anything, but you in your quotes. Which means, there ain't a lot of listening going on.

You feel very strongly against Nationalism. You don't like the idea of large corporations being successful - perhaps unless it is on your terms. Competition also seems to be an issue - I am not sure if you would expand on this one because we are after all, on a football forum.

It sounds kinda confusing don't you think? Seriously.

Just take it as a stupid comment and let it ride. The pats are seen by other people in this league as an evil empire. And, there are countries around who feel that the us is an evil empire. Ok. Dude, that is the whole pizza. The complete doughnut. The big anchelada. It, in a nutshell.

Come on Wildo.

If people are waving big number one hands in a crowd, do you go up to them and start telling them the evils of Starbucks? ;) Just roll with it man.

Absurd spin. No, clarification so the tangent won't continue. But, it no workee.

I can simply say that I respect your desire to scraiten it all out for me.

I guess that we just disagree about something. Not really sure if that something can be clarified. Cause no one said they hate anything, but you in your quotes. Which means, there ain't a lot of listening going on.

You feel very strongly against Nationalism. You don't like the idea of large corporations being successful - perhaps unless it is on your terms. Competition also seems to be an issue - I am not sure if you would expand on this one because we are after all, on a football forum.

It sounds kinda confusing don't you think? Seriously.

Just take it as a stupid comment and let it ride. The pats are seen by other people in this league as an evil empire. And, there are countries around who feel that the us is an evil empire. Ok. Dude, that is the whole pizza. The complete doughnut. The big anchelada. It, in a nutshell.

Come on Wildo.

If people are waving big number one hands in a crowd, do you go up to them and start telling them the evils of Starbucks? ;) Just roll with it man.

I appreciate the fact that you want to settle this, but I don't feel I've been confusing at all. This started because of "people hate Americans because of jealousy" I was responding to that. It's Impossible to respond to that without being political and I warned that that would be what it has become. You took my trying to explain why other country's don't "hate us" because of "
jealousy" and somehow tried to infer that I don't like cultures being different.

As far as the "competition" aspects of globalization, I'm more than willing to elaborate if we move to the political forum.

I appreciate the fact that you want to settle this, but I don't feel I've been confusing at all. This started because of "people hate Americans because of jealousy" I was responding to that. It's Impossible to respond to that without being political and I warned that that would be what it has become. You took my trying to explain why other country's don't "hate us" because of "
jealousy" and somehow tried to infer that I don't like cultures being different.

As far as the "competition" aspects of globalization, I'm more than willing to elaborate if we move to the political forum.

cool man. I have never been there. I don't really want to go there if its ok with ya.

I think that the "everyone hates us" remark leant itself well to what I was saying from op. I don't think that he was running with the ball like you were. (we need to sign you up! :) )

There are some folks who feel that the the top dog will be attacked by the other dogs. You don't like the analogy because you think that it breeds and further exemplifies the real problem. (kinda circular thing going on.) To you, it would be best to not say that there is a top dog. ok.

No top dog for you.

Sports is all about top dog. All about it. It is by definition, quest to be top dog. Some of us see similarities. Do you agree with that part of the comparison? Quest for the championship baby right?

It is the Country part that is a problem right?

Ok, but in the past, the olympics were used as a means to underscore this very nationalistic competition. I would imagine that you are not in favor of the olympics right?

I am glad that you have many people who show you love and respect and that they are from other countries. Its cool.

Can't my comparison be about the ones who don't like us and will do some perty bad things to vilify us? There are some people like that right?

And, there are some people in the NFL who seem bent on making the pats look like, well the devil. It is comical.

See, I don't think America is Evil. I think that there are some very questionable sorts. But I think that it is what it is. (sorry for the stupid phrase but I had to throw it in.) I think that no one is wearing a white dress to the wedding in other words.

I got a ba in history and studied Carribean history, and Latin American history. Oh man, talk about some unbelievably tragic events. Some bad folks down there now (not now as in now, just well colloqualism). And, certainly we have played the game. Maybe I am not of the age to really get all mad about it now. I simply see analogies.

Dosn't it all seem kinda political to you? Ya know, the NFL. Especially this year. To me, it is such drama.

These new comments from Shula are hilarious. I mean, how does this dude even have a platform? But, kinda like a small country, or a small group of people burning an american flag, or hoisting in effigy a dummy looking like bush from a yard arm gets world wide appeal. It is just, similar.

Last edited:
there's only ONE group of ugly Americans in this country...and they all reside in or near Crapianapolis...inbred, 2nd grade educated,green toothed, indecipherable, ignorant, moronic,cowpie munching,grain alcohol swilling,crank smoking,intergalactically idiotic one step from space alien peckerwoods.
Can you please tell us HOW YOU REALLY FEEL? :eek:

Definition of ugly American.........Bill Polian. I'd like to see Polian in Paris, they'd probabley spit in everything that man ordered,lose his luggage, give him the wrong directions etc. He's a totally boorish, loudmouth bully.

Last edited:
The real ugly Americans are the sanctimonious holier-than-thou types who pronounce moral judgments while pretending to be squeaky-clean themselves.
Amen.....I mean absolutely!! I agree in total...so no..I don't think it fits..

For my literary reference of the day:

The Ugly American was written in the late 1950s about the American foreign service in Vietnam. In that book, the "ugly American" is actually a good guy -- he's physically ugly, but develops sustainable irrigation for a community. It's the slick handsome Americans who are the "bad guys."

For my literary reference of the day:

The Ugly American was written in the late 1950s about the American foreign service in Vietnam. In that book, the "ugly American" is actually a good guy -- he's physically ugly, but develops sustainable irrigation for a community. It's the slick handsome Americans who are the "bad guys."
This maybe true ,but over the years I think it took on a different connotation. Someone that is pushy,obnoxious,uncultured,arrogent,loud etc. IE. Bill Polian

Worst thread evah. Let's compare football games to politics.:confused:

Bad idea.

If you want to compare the NFL to politics or economics, remember to start with the fact that the league is Communist, built on sharing revenues.:D :D :D

cool man. I have never been there. I don't really want to go there if its ok with ya.

I think that the "everyone hates us" remark leant itself well to what I was saying from op. I don't think that he was running with the ball like you were. (we need to sign you up! :) )

There are some folks who feel that the the top dog will be attacked by the other dogs. You don't like the analogy because you think that it breeds and further exemplifies the real problem. (kinda circular thing going on.) To you, it would be best to not say that there is a top dog. ok.

No top dog for you.

Sports is all about top dog. All about it. It is by definition, quest to be top dog. Some of us see similarities. Do you agree with that part of the comparison? Quest for the championship baby right?

It is the Country part that is a problem right?

Ok, but in the past, the olympics were used as a means to underscore this very nationalistic competition. I would imagine that you are not in favor of the olympics right?

I am glad that you have many people who show you love and respect and that they are from other countries. Its cool.

Can't my comparison be about the ones who don't like us and will do some perty bad things to vilify us? There are some people like that right?

And, there are some people in the NFL who seem bent on making the pats look like, well the devil. It is comical.

See, I don't think America is Evil. I think that there are some very questionable sorts. But I think that it is what it is. (sorry for the stupid phrase but I had to throw it in.) I think that no one is wearing a white dress to the wedding in other words.

I got a ba in history and studied Carribean history, and Latin American history. Oh man, talk about some unbelievably tragic events. Some bad folks down there now (not now as in now, just well colloqualism). And, certainly we have played the game. Maybe I am not of the age to really get all mad about it now. I simply see analogies.

Dosn't it all seem kinda political to you? Ya know, the NFL. Especially this year. To me, it is such drama.

These new comments from Shula are hilarious. I mean, how does this dude even have a platform? But, kinda like a small country, or a small group of people burning an american flag, or hoisting in effigy a dummy looking like bush from a yard arm gets world wide appeal. It is just, similar.

I didn't really understand most of what you just said, but my main point is it's dumb to reduce countries to "best" and "worst" and "top dog." Militaristically the United States is the "Top Dog" but that doesn't mean it's the "top dog" in all aspects. And it's dumb to reduce anger with American foreign policy by other countries to "jealousy"

Wildo7, shouldn't you be watching re-runs of Keith Olbermann or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes