PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS TRADE JAMIE COLLINS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that there are 8 games left - but I'm still very surprised they could only pry a cond 3rd round pick... so many dumb GMs. None would have given more ? Is that a sign or is it "The best I can get from the worst team in the league we'll not face again this season" ?

Collins is only going to play for 8 games. That's going to severely limit his value and the market.

There is more to the story that we will never know.

I was in the hospital last February and 1 of my nurses who is also from Mississippi who said she was best friends with JC said the same thing about him not liking the North East.

This is such an important point. We forget that players are human, and that the motivation to sign somewhere is not always ENTIRELY about money and championships (though the money is a significant component, obviously). People keep family, location, and happiness in mind (in addition to the money and championships). I'm sure players also assess team culture, management, and unity, the so-called intangibles of any job.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread with frustration how Seattle could keep Wilson, Chancellor, Bennett, Sherman, etc, and still have room to sign more. I thought that was a very interesting sentiment. I moved out to Seattle not too long ago and really love it here (I loved it in New England too). I have met a ton of people here in Seattle who have no other connection to Seattle besides getting a job here and relocating recently, and now they can't see themselves anywhere else. City is great, people are generally friendly, schools are good, and the weather is (shockingly) mild all around. Suburbs are nice for families. The Seahawks players are so integral into the culture of the city as a whole as well. They all seem thrilled and happy to be here, playing for a happy, jacked and pumped, cheer-leading coach. And yes, winning also helps. I can totally imagine most players who get offered generally fair to above average money for the top of their position will stay and those who want the big pay day leave.

New England's big draw is WINNING. Belichick himself says it can be difficult for players to play for him, and it's not for everybody. I'm sure there are skill players on other teams who are fantastic, at the top of their position, and may not excel in New England. If you're from the south, winters can be tough, and the culture can be a bit shocking. During my medical training in Boston, almost all of my colleagues were thrilled to be in such a great city, with such great hospitals. But the ones who were not happy (and still are extremely talented physicians) were almost universally from the South or California.

Elandon Roberts may end up as a better fit for the Patriots. Collins will likely continue to succeed. From Collin's perspective, I can totally imagine this: "I'm far from family, I don't really like living up here. I'll stay if I get Von Miller money, but otherwise, I think I might want to try some place else..."

The Bottomline here is that Tom Brady is 39 years old. The window for this team is 2-3 years max, after that, nobody is promised anything. Need I remind anyone of the Scott Zolack years? I think that they trade Garapollo in the off season, I like Brissett, but no one really knows what the future holds after TFB. So why not build a team for now, you know while you still have the greatest QB of all time?????

I think it was folly to trade Chandler Jones and now Collins for basically nothing. I understand that there was no way that the Pats could have signed them and Hightower and Butler, but as of today, two of them are traded and none of them are signed!

i would think butler and hightower will get signed, have to keep 2 out of the 4 and 2 are already gone

In the words of Marty B, bunch of *****es on this board!

Wow, ok, now you've just proven to be disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable. I absolutely love Edelman and root like heck for him. I'm one of his biggest fans but even I'll admit it he is underperforming this year. He is underperforming in both stats and the 'eye test'. His 6 drops don't help either.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll turn it around (or at least I really want him to), but to say he is not underperforming is a joke.
That escalated quickly.

Pro tip: Disagreeing with someone is not necessarily the same as being disagreeable.

So bill says he's dissapointed in the defense so far. Well you build the defense Bill and you got rid of your pass rusher in the off season. You rush 3 . Play alot of zone.

I don't get how you don't come away with at least Haden.

Unreal.

This took time to digest. When I first saw the headlines, I thought we might have got Joe Thomas in return. When I saw what we got in return, I must say it was a head stratcher. The one thing that sets Collins apart from other LBs is his athleticism. Okay so he isn't having an elite season but we are 7-1 and one of the top teams in PPG. Normally we trade our players at the beginning and acquire players at the trading deadline. Even if Collins wasn't playing great, it would seem to me he would be worth keeping until the end of the season even if it's for depth and experience at the linebacker spot. BB must have seen enough from the other LBs that he is comfortable in letting Collins go. We have HT, Ninko if needed, Roberts, Minko, Noy and McClellin. I think Hightower is the one most affected by this trade.

Here is what Hightower had to say about Collins recently when Collins was out with a hip injury:

"It’s a lot more fluent having Jamie [Collins] out there," said Hightower on Thursday. "A lot of the times we coordinate things a lot together. I usually take care of the front, he takes care of the secondary. We have our own way of doing things. Sometimes Jamie [Collins] is just like, ‘No, you go ahead and you just make the calls and I’ll play off of you.'"

"It helps having him out there. I mean, he does everything so he makes it a lot easier for me. Anytime I can have him out there with me I’m 100 percent having him out there."

So it looks like BB held off as long as possible to make a trade. BB probably didn't want him to go to a team that he might have to meet in the playoffs or SB. Unlike Derby to Denver, I think BB has respect for Collins talents. In Cleveland he does the Patriots no harm. For most teams it would be a rental for half the season. Very few teams can afford what Collins will be asking. It's a good deal for Cleveland, they didn't give up much and if they can re-sign Collins, they got a good player.

Bottom line, I really don't like what we got for Collins in return but something is better then nothing. There was no big drop in the defense's production when Collins was out injured. Contract talks with Moss at that time led to a not so happy Moss and a drop in production and his eventual trade. It may be the same situation with Collins, I really don't know.

This might send a message to Butler and Hightower but especially to Butler, don't ask too much or we wont re-sign you.

I don't know many GMs would have the balls to make this move so late in the season with a record of 7-1 with a good chance to make it to the SB.

So bill says he's dissapointed in the defense so far. Well you build the defense Bill and you got rid of your pass rusher in the off season. You rush 3 . Play alot of zone.

Right. But they're not robots out there. As BB has said many times. The player play the game. He can only put them in the best position to succeed.

The Bottomline here is that Tom Brady is 39 years old. The window for this team is 2-3 years max, after that, nobody is promised anything. Need I remind anyone of the Scott Zolack years? I think that they trade Garapollo in the off season, I like Brissett, but no one really knows what the future holds after TFB. So why not build a team for now, you know while you still have the greatest QB of all time?????

The window for this team is the number of years Tom Brady is still a good enough QB to take a team to the SB with a puncher's chance to win it. Neither you nor I know how many years that is, and there's certainly no way to make an accurate assessment of what the "max" is.

I think it was folly to trade Chandler Jones and now Collins for basically nothing. I understand that there was no way that the Pats could have signed them and Hightower and Butler, but as of today, two of them are traded and none of them are signed!

Claiming that Jones was traded for basically nothing is simply not correct.

Go hop on the bandwagon of another team

Not hoping but stating the facts. Look at himself for once and don't be a smartass with that statement.

Which they'd have to surrender to Goodell. Really hope Browns get that 3rd rounder.
That's not true, manxman. It is the exact same thing with all of the hypotheticals that we threw out regarding the possibility of trading a player to receive our 1st rounder back.

Of course this time it's a 4th rounder. Either way, Roger Goodell cannot ban this team from making trades. He took away OUR fourth, but doesn't have the power to take away trades. In a worst case scenario, we'd be stuck picking at where our original 4th round spot would've been--and nothing higher. Same as it would've been for a 1st rounder this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back