PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS TRADE JAMIE COLLINS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already addressed that in the post you were quoting, so I'm not really sure how you concluded that I forgot it.

The best case that you can make using this logic is that it was worth giving up Collins for the rest of the season and SB run to lock in the end-of-3rd-round pick that we were exceedingly likely to get anyway. Which... no.

I still think there has to be more to this trade, because it makes no sense as currently reported.

SMH.. Because you didn't actually address it. You said that the Patriots WOULD get a 3rd round comp because of all the "big ticket free agents". Which isn't true because all it takes is 4 eligible free agent signings of $2M+ to offset those losses and leave the Pats without a Comp pick.

This is what has been reported.
- Reportedly wanted $19M per year, but was offered $11M/year
- His agent was not doing him any favors
- Was free lancing, something that BB hates
- Told the Patriots he had no intentions of re-signing
- IF the Patriots got a compensatory pick, it would have been in 2018, not 2017.

All of those items are plenty for BB to decide to ship Collins off and get something for him now.

Comp picks are issued according to the price of the contract the free agent signed (the record of the team is irrelevant). Over the Cap has already done its calculations for the 2017 draft. The Browns are projected to have the 8th third round comp pick next year, or the last one, which could easily be pushed into a 4th round pick, deciding on what the league does. So the Pats traded Collins for the hope of landing no better than pick # 104!!!

Draft - Over the Cap

Are we sure this isn't some sort of April Fools on Halloween joke?

Absolutely. Collins IS a top 10 LB. His problem is inconsistency. If he would play like we've seen him play (More recently, against the Texans) for prolonged period of times, he would be the best LB in the NFL, along with Kuechly. An "almost" 4th rounder for him is absolutely ridiculous.

Put in other terms, would you trade for a Top 10 player with tremendous potential for a compensatory 3rd round pick? Yes, everyone would. But no team in the earth would do this trade. Except the Patriots, apparently
Miller
Kuechly
Wagner
Hightower
bowman

Thats 5 who collins is not on level with. I can name more
He worth more than a compensatory 3rd. This is basically a 4th round pick...I'd actually be somewhat okay if the was the Browns ACTAUL 3rd.

even a 4th rounder for a player who doesnt have a lot of production is not that bad.

F u c k, why Collins?

He was underperforming and wanted Von Miller money. His contract is up at the end of the year so the Pats decided to get something rather than nothing.

I'm just really surprised they traded him the day after the game when they have the whole bye week to work out a better deal... Belichick must've been really mad when he saw the tapes last night.

WEEI saying comp 3rd rounder if clev is awarded one, if not, Pats get their 4th rounder

People that say "they would have gotten a pick in 2018" need to brush up on how compensatory works. Absolutely zero guarantee that would happen.

Collins is having an uneven year. Some games he is awesome and others he has been invisible or a liability. His problem has been durability and consistency. Not that he sucks.
He was a monster against Houston where he put everything together into the most dominant performance by a Patriots LB in recent memory. Other than that he was inconsistent. But still, no reason to trade him for performance reasons.

It has to be that they are so enamored with Roberts. I cannot imagine it being anything else.

I was just thinking this morning, boy I'm sure glad we haven't had any serious season ending injuries. Then BB goes and gets rid of Collins like oh ok there goes my joy. Haven't had one of those WTF trades in a while so I guess we were due.

OR...
There's also a factor here that shouldn't go unnoticed. Bill Belichick isn't afraid to send a message. What he had in Collins was a player who was being a pain in terms of negotiation -- Volin also reported today that Collins turned down $11 million per year from New England -- and a guy who apparently wasn't doing what the coaches asked him to do on defense.

Collins on the second play of the game does whatever he wants and Bills gain 28 yards. Been happening all year. It was not going to continue

— michael lombardi (@mlombardifoxtv) October 31, 2016

Not necessarily. If the Pats had let Collins go but signed a big money player from another team, then they could cancel out and the Pats wouldn't get a comp pick.

True... good point, but when was the last time we signed a big money free agent?

Miller
Kuechly
Wagner
Hightower
bowman

even a 4th rounder for a player who doesnt have a lot of production is not that bad.
Agreed with the guys you posted. Maybe except for Bowman, but anyway. Miller isn't really an ILB, but sure.

My point is that we would be getting a 4th rounder regardless. Would you rather have AT LEAST a very good back up with Collins and a 4th round in 2018, or a low 3rd round pick or high 4th round in 2017, but with no back-up to our playrs (And Roberts is also a rookie)

I have always been in favor of Hightower, but I definitely wanted them both. Hightower is super consistent and I have never seen him burned on a wheel route lol.

I see Collins as an amazing double-edged sword. He will make amazing splash plays but he does make mistakes that Hightower usually doesn't. Our run defense might actually improve with him gone put our pass defense has taken a MASSIVE hit. Great in coverage and possibly the best blitzer we have ever had under BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick