PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS TRADE JAMIE COLLINS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shank is stirring the pot.

He was also asked by Shaughnessy if he’s hurt by the Patriots and others insulting him on his way out the door?

“No. That shows their character. I’m good. I’m happy,” Collins said.

Who on the Patriots insulted him?

Jamie "Show me the money" Collins makes his appearance
Collins said he doesn’t have any hard feelings towards the Patriots, as he knows the NFL is a business.

At the end of the day I’m still getting money, man,” Collins said. “I’m still getting money, I’m still moving on and I’m still here playing. I’m not the one that’s watching the game. I’m playing the game.”

Jamie Collins admits his play dropped off this year, calls out Patriots after trade to Browns

The Patriots have been fiscally responsible, planning for the impending free agency of its young group of talented defensive players. They let Revis go (at the time I was disappointed but Bill was absolutely right to let him walk), They trade Chandler Jones (I'm still torn on this one. The pass rush has been lethargic without him, but that police station incident and future contract demands forced the issue.)

With those moves I thought there was a good chance Hightower, Collins, Butler, and maybe Sheard could be retained, setting up the defense for years to come. I've tried to let it go, but giving up Jamie has left a horrible taste in my mouth. While not a generational talent he's the type of player that only comes around once every few drafts. They saw the talent to take him in the 2nd and develop him into a top player at his position.

Elandon Roberts has played well with limited snaps in 3 games, granted. What happens if he gets injured? What happens if he stops playing well or starts committing errors on the field?

I'm not a fan of this trade and think both sides should have worked things out.
Long time no see my brothah!! :D

Lets look at this from a pure business perspective
1. You are assuming that winning the super bowl every year is the Patriots primary goal.
2. Hoodie by his actions shows you it isn't the primary goal year over year.
3. In my view, a Super Bowl win every now and then is perfectly fine for Kraft these days.
4. Trading Collins early sends a message for future contract negotiations with others.
5. Play hardball, and chance getting traded for a few years to the worst team in the league
6. Pats think long term with how the org is managed and run.
7. Short term items like this drive fans crazy, but allow the Pats to maintain Pats goals.
8. Take a look at Cowboys/Redskins. Most important thing in franchise value.
9. If you can maintain franchise value, and increase it, without a Super Bowl win, you are successful.

So in a business sense, the Jamie Collins trade was a brilliant move.

Or, alternatively, the Patriots are in the business of winning Super Bowls, and experience had shown them that the way to maximize your chances in an environment where an injury, bounce of the football or other random event can destroy months of effort is to remain competitive year after year, rather than making short-term decisions trying to just win THIS year.

(Edited to remove autocorrect error)

Last edited:
Which rookies did they get off on bad terms with?

Name one because it sure isn't Collins.

I meant some of our best players closing out there rookie contracts leave us via by trade or free agency...and it's not always on the best of terms. Jones, Collins, left us bitterly after being traded. Samuel left us bitterly in 08.

Nobody in their right mind is going to tag Collins at $15-16M per season. He is a very talented player who has shown to be capable of an all pro performance but he isn't disruptive enough to merit that type of money.

Nobody in their right mind is going to tag Collins at $15-16M per season. He is a very talented player who has shown to be capable of an all pro performance but he isn't disruptive enough to merit that type of money.

If I was running a team I would offer the Pats my 1st and 2nd round pick for the next 3-4 years to try to get Brady before I'd give Collins that kind of money.

I think he'll end up signing a contract in the region of 5-years, $68 million with $25 million guaranteed. Higher average than Kuechly, but slightly lower guaranteed (Kuechly's deal is 5-years $61.8 million with $27 million guaranteed).

The funny thing is during the preseason many pats fans on this message boards were predicting Collins to win DPOY award. Amazing how quickly things change. Football is crazy.

I think he'll end up signing a contract in the region of 5-years, $68 million with $25 million guaranteed. Higher average than Kuechly, but slightly lower guaranteed (Kuechly's deal is 5-years $61.8 million with $27 million guaranteed).

I have a feeling that Collins may be treated the same as Welker. His perceived value is higher than his actual value. I also think his market value may decline because he was traded in the middle of the season by a super bowl contender.

Dawg-Pound.jpg

I meant some of our best players closing out there rookie contracts leave us via by trade or free agency...and it's not always on the best of terms. Jones, Collins, left us bitterly after being traded. Samuel left us bitterly in 08.

Thats the business of the NFL my friend. Pats aren't the only team this happens to.

Lets look at the history.

Ty Warren- worked out.

Mankins and the Pats worked it out.

Wilfork and the Pats worked it out.

DMC hit FA and all ended well.

Matt Light- worked out

Gronk- worked out

AH - worked out

Mayo - Worked out.

Solder- worked out.

D. Branch and the Pats did not...but made up eventually

Seymour and the Pats did in 2006 but not in 2009.

What did Jones say that made you think he was bitter?

Collins didn't for it seems a few reasons.

Asante and the Pats worked out a deal so they would not franchise him in 2008 and both sides split amicably. He wanted top dollar. Pats didnt think he was worth it and he wasn't.

So.........history tells us its a business, the Pats are tough negotiators but more often than not pay their guys.

Thats the business of the NFL my friend. Pats aren't the only team this happens to.

Lets look at the history.

Ty Warren- worked out.

Mankins and the Pats worked it out.

Wilfork and the Pats worked it out.

DMC hit FA and all ended well.

Matt Light- worked out

Gronk- worked out

AH - worked out

Mayo - Worked out.

Solder- worked out.

D. Branch and the Pats did not...but made up eventually

Seymour and the Pats did in 2006 but not in 2009.

What did Jones say that made you think he was bitter?

Collins didn't for it seems a few reasons.

Asante and the Pats worked out a deal so they would not franchise him in 2008 and both sides split amicably. He wanted top dollar. Pats didnt think he was worth it and he wasn't.

So.........history tells us its a business, the Pats are tough negotiators but more often than not pay their guys.

Jones said "it's well known they don't pay people". Speaking about us

I disagree Samuel wasn't worth it. In my opinion he was worth it because the next three years we had to sit through a miserable batch of cbs o Neil wilhite Wheatley butler Hobbs etc. our pass defense became one of the weakest in the league when Asante left. Asante was a gambler but he was awesome, he has the record for most interceptions for touchdowns in the postseason with 3. Including one of them off a prime Peyton Manning in which he completely outsmarted manning

Jones said "it's well known they don't pay people". Speaking about us

I disagree Samuel wasn't worth it. In my opinion he was worth it because the next three years we had to sit through a miserable batch of cbs o Neil wilhite Wheatley butler Hobbs etc. our pass defense became one of the weakest in the league when Asante left.

But what Jones said was not bitter. He said it matter of factly.

Hell Mankins, Ty Law, Asante after they franchised him.....that was bitter.

We'll disagree on Asante. Iggles paid him6/$57m $20m guaranteed and I think that was too high for him as he did not live up to the contract

I loved Asante Samuel he won 2 super bows with us. 3 interceptions for touchdowns in the postseason a record. I would never bad mouth him. We drafted him in the fourth round! What a steal

But what Jones said was not bitter. He said it matter of factly.

Hell Mankins, Ty Law, Asante after they franchised him.....that was bitter.

We'll disagree on Asante. Iggles paid him6/$57m $20m guaranteed and I think that was too high for him as he did not live up to the contract

He made the pro bowl 5 times, recorded a ton of interceptions, led the league multiple times

Not worth it?

I respect your opinion Robert. I think higher on asante than others. That pick six vs Manning was one of the sweetest interceptions in franchise history. He literally punked Manning

He made the pro bowl 5 times, recorded a ton of interceptions, led the league multiple times

Not worth it?

He led the league in INTs twice which certainly is very good. Also allowed a ton of Tds, long receptions. Was a liability vs big WRs and a awful tackler.

Look...the guy has 51 career picks so clearly he had a very good career but I just don't think he was an elite CB. had great ball skills but was not in the Ty law, Revis, champ Bailey catagory. He allowed a ton of easy receptions and wiffed on a lot of tackles. I said that back in 2007 and 2008 and I'll still say it.

Totally agree and that's probably what prompted BB to say (in a sarcastic manner) "Lombardi is one of the smartest people I know. You can go talk to him".

I didnt think this was sarcasm at all. Personally I understood BB as kinda acknowledging and somewhat agreeing with what Lombardi between the lines.

I didn't sense any sarcasm there.

If the guy cared about winning it would have worked out. I'm glad Bill isn't afraid to let guys like that go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents