PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign G Darnell Stapleton and CB Willingham, cut Farnham and Grady

Status
Not open for further replies.
You feel sacks allowed is an unimportant stat?
I don't think you can possibly judge him on that without knowing how accurate the stat is and whether the sacks were really his fault. Does the QB hold the ball too long ? Do they have a bad scheme ? Do they leave their guards without any help ? We know the Steelers give up a ton of sacks, I'm not about to judge one guy based on supposed sack numbers.

If someone has watched film on him and looked at the cause of his sacks and says they were his fault, that's another story. To just look at stats on sacks allowed is not going to lead to reliable conclusions.

I don't think you can possibly judge him on that without knowing how accurate the stat is and whether the sacks were really his fault. Does the QB hold the ball too long ? Do they have a bad scheme ? Do they leave their guards without any help ? We know the Steelers give up a ton of sacks, I'm not about to judge one guy based on supposed sack numbers.

If someone has watched film on him and looked at the cause of his sacks and says they were his fault, that's another story. To just look at stats on sacks allowed is not going to lead to reliable conclusions.

Going through each game's sacks most were against the left side of the line...he played right guard. The bulk of sacks against him came against the Redskins for 2.5 sacks and the Titans for 3.5 sacks. His right tackle was just as bad if not worse over the course of the year with probably more total sacks than him. The entire line was bad, but most of the sacks were coming from the left side and around the tackles not up the middle against him.

You feel sacks allowed is an unimportant stat? Others don't agree with that take. For some, a guard allowing 5 sacks in 12 games, even if he did that as a member of the Super Bowl champion Steelers, would be a concern. Being non-tendered by the Steelers after a season spent on IR might increase that level of concern.

Total sacks allowed, when trying to evaluate just one player from that line, is of pretty questionable relevance. There are just way too many other factors influencing the total. Could be the fault of the QB, of a RB for not picking up a blitz, of any of the other 4 guys, of his backup... without clarification, you just don't know.

That said, I think people are going a little overboard w/ Stapleton. It's not like the Steelers are overflowing with talent on the line; hopefully the reason why he's here and not there is because he wanted to play somewhere else, and not because they didn't think they needed him.

Last edited:
Yep well said and a clear example of this would be Aaron Rodgers who was tied with Big Ben last season for most sacked QB.

A lot of those sacks were directly the fault of Aaron Rodgers because he hangs on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away.

the fact that the pats are still signing jag G's is not good news that means Dan Connolly, Eric Ghiaciuc, Ted Larsen, and Ryan Wendell, are not realy geting the job done

No, they are just being smart. They probably know the truth about Kaczur, and are bringing in a young talent, who has already started for a Super Bowl Champ.

Mankins is dead to them. He gets offered one of the Top 5 guard contracts in the NFL, and whines, pouts, and insults. Typical loser athlete.

Stapleton looks like a solid pickup-hope he really is recovered fully from his injury last season.

I was hoping Farnham made it to the PS-looked good in the practices I saw. Made some catches in traffic and had some speed. Would have liked to see him in a game. Who knows maybe they'll bring him back.

According to SMY: Stapleton released, T Clayton re-signed.

Interesting... probably wasn't as "healthy" as his agent made him out to be. Surprise!

Interesting... probably wasn't as "healthy" as his agent made him out to be. Surprise!

Or maybe Bill read this thread and got cold feet.

Darnell Stapleton, we hardly knew ye. Like, not at all ye.

We clearly picked him up in case we have to play the 2008 Steelers.

The 2007 and 2008 preseason rushing champ, RB Thomas Clayton was re-signed.

Apparently Stapleton is either not fully recovered or he doesn't represent a big upgrade over current G's on roster. Could also be that at this point in Stapleton is not game ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back